Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

So... I found this DF story on Reddit...

<< < (2/3) > >>

Melting Sky:

--- Quote from: Asin on November 27, 2016, 02:31:24 pm ---If only I could mod creatures in good.
Oh, and I would want the thing to be intelligent.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, just giving it a can learn tag would make it intelligent.

I have done very little modding myself, but I am a programmer so if I put my mind to it I could probably create this thing. The story was pretty cool and I have been thinking about creating a minor mod that adds some greater threats to the natural world in DF. The skinless birdman of the haunted wood would be a pretty cool creature to have occasionally show up in evil or savage forests. No promises, but maybe I will try my hand at creating this thing. Like I said, my modding experience is extremely lacking so it may turn out to be tougher than expected, but if I have some free time I might take a crack at it.

Asin:
Okay.
Though if you are giving it a name, I'd just call it the Birdman.

Melting Sky:
Hmmm, it looks like I am going to have to do quite a bit of research to make this happen. It might be better to make the Skinless Birdman a mega or semi-mega beast. But if I do that I believe it won't have the desired behavior of creeping around in the woods. You would get a big announcement it was attacking your fort like any mega beast and I think it would then make a B line path for the fort. It would also create lairs out in the world.

Asin:
You can do it.
I believe you can.

Melting Sky:
This has definitely been a learning experience. Digging through the raws has given me a greater appreciation of Toady's work and madness. He is truly and insane genius. As for modding this creature, I am still working on it and using it as a learning exercise on how the raws are set up which is something I have been meaning to do for ages anyway. No promises on whether this thing will work, but I'll do my best to make it so. My current hang up is trying to make it skinless. That is turning into a huge pain in the ass because it means I will have to create my own custom BODY_DETAIL_PLAN template which is going to be a time consuming headache. If worst comes to worst I might just have to settle for giving it featherless withered skin instead of making it skinless.

Asin, In the end I plan to make this a rare loner creature that only shows up in evil wooded biomes, but for testing purposes I am going to make it common and spawn everywhere there are woods. If I get this thing up and running can you give it a test and let me know what you think of it? It's modeled after a Titan so this thing is going to be quite large and nasty to fight. I have made it intelligent and given it the ability to learn quickly which will make it even more dangerous.

At this point this thread might be better off getting moved to the modding forum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version