Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Experiment: Leaves, the bogeyman's secret weakness?  (Read 4969 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Experiment: Leaves, the bogeyman's secret weakness?
« on: November 14, 2016, 04:45:33 pm »

So I was searching reddit and came about to this neat post, someone else mentioned using leaves to kill bogeymen aswell, I am going to test it and see how it works out wish me luck.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2bes9n/i_must_leaf_how_to_kill_bogeymen_quickly_and/

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/5cr58u/my_greatest_achievement_so_far/

It seems outlandish, yes, but its dwarf fortress, so anything can happen.

And so the !SCIENCE! begins:

Test1:
Attacking farmer with cucumber leaf:

Works better than punching I think.

Bonus:
Me burning the poor sods corpse to get rid of the evidence of my wrong doings so I can play the character without consequence after my tests.

There we go, only the ashes are left now  ;)

*makes sign of armok*

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 05:45:38 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Experiment: Leaves, the bogeyman's secret weakness?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 05:12:13 pm »

The moment of truth has begun:

So, I was attacked by like 12 bogeymen, so even with an effective weapon, I was doomed I also didn't put any points into observer, (I would have survived longer), but it appears that leaves are very effective against bogeymen when they do  hit, chipping bones, breaking spines in some cases, lots of stuff I still died, but it warrants more testing for sure.

I think ill test with a new character later, or tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 05:36:52 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 02:23:32 pm »

load a bunch of leaves into a minecart and push the kart into someone. best results of seeing someone get shredded by leaves.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 03:16:19 pm »

Oh leaf them alone, what did they do to make you deciduous that their fate should fall like some blood-soaked myth about why trees turn red in autumn?

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 10:07:55 pm »

Just to be fair, you should test with branches and logs, maybe even fruits. Could there be a secret coded in weakness for bogeyman, like there is a randomly generated one for werebeasts and metals?

Or what if misc. object user is the new throwing? (because apparently throwing was and some will claim it still is OP)

I can't say I'll try this, because I have no idea how I could make a story out of it.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 11:52:20 pm »

Just to be fair, you should test with branches and logs, maybe even fruits. Could there be a secret coded in weakness for bogeyman, like there is a randomly generated one for werebeasts and metals?

Or what if misc. object user is the new throwing? (because apparently throwing was and some will claim it still is OP)

I can't say I'll try this, because I have no idea how I could make a story out of it.

uhh this is coming from studying bogeymen being weak to ... folks with no fear. the whole leaves and stuff just work on everyone due to their being really really flat.
also I haven't seen a werebeast react violently to special metals considering that they can die to just about anything else.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 04:56:49 am »

It's interesting, though.  Can you throw leaves?  They are pretty light so you can carry a lot of them...

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 02:49:53 pm »

It's interesting, though.  Can you throw leaves?  They are pretty light so you can carry a lot of them...
You can throw anything that can be picked up, although heavier things don't go that far. leaves should go pretty far, though.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:34:40 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 05:42:11 pm »

uhh this is coming from studying bogeymen being weak to ... folks with no fear. the whole leaves and stuff just work on everyone due to their being really really flat.
also I haven't seen a werebeast react violently to special metals considering that they can die to just about anything else.

They have hardcoded material weaknesses (were beasts, they will tell you about it when you get a quest to kill one). It just makes them especially weak to that metal and its different for every werebeast type. (in other words it doesnt come up much)
I am an indie game dev!

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 05:49:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The game simuates misc. objects as cubes. So if a leaf weighs<1 and its density is 600 we get a very small cube. Not sure if F=ma is being applied here, but it would make sense (leaves can be swung quickly, no? So the a in the impulse of impact would be pretty large). Even if not, the relatively small small surface of one face of the cube would allow the pressure to be fairly high, high enough it would seem to chip bone on unclothed foes.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 09:06:29 pm »

Yeah, leaves have volume 5 going by wiki - which would have impact point of 1 (I guess, unless it gets rounded down to 0), equal to whip.

On a similar note, perhaps slade earrings or rings/large gems(weirdly, 25% the size of normal gems) would be effective weapons? Volume 3 and 5/5, for expected weight of 6 and 10 urists, concentrated into impact point. For comparison, a gold warhammer weights 7 urists.

SkeleBret

• Bay Watcher
  • shudders and begins to move!
    • View Profile
    • I make YouTube videos
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 01:53:13 pm »

I've also had success using a piece of cotton thread as a weapon. I didn't have any Misc. Object User skill when I started and it still fractured bones, messed up internal organs, and jammed skulls through brains.

Remuluson

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:EDITING_TOO_MUCH:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 12:14:50 pm »

The leaves can one shoot dragons
*The more you know*
[ETHICS:FEAR_SOCKMASTRERS:REQUIRED]
[ETHICS:HAVING_TOO_MUCH_ETHICS:REQUIRED]

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 12:29:11 pm »

Fancy slap-fights are plenty more dangerous now.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.