Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34

Author Topic: [ISG] Ashwood Cross  (Read 72252 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: [ISG] Ashwood Cross: Now with Robot(?)
« Reply #315 on: March 25, 2017, 06:14:45 pm »

I'm actually a bit surprised that you decided to black out the actual horfing. Perhaps Metal Gear has desensitized me to such things. :P
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 25, 2017, 07:02:38 pm »

We have a book, fortune cookies/packages, bottled something, some sort of computer attachment(?), red scrolls/bars, some metal plate that might be screwed into something, in which case use an appropriate tool from our guitar tools to unscrew it if we have one, a cube that may be a robot buddy, yellow graph paper(?), and a switch on the right wall for power. Why is to off, anyway? Ask robot. Also, ask robot if it has a preferred name. First, though, examine each object mentioned, ant thoroughly scan each cubic inch with light.

Also, Solifuge, nice touch with the sweeping light shape.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 25, 2017, 08:39:36 pm »

We have a book, fortune cookies/packages, bottled something, some sort of computer attachment(?), red scrolls/bars, some metal plate that might be screwed into something, in which case use an appropriate tool from our guitar tools to unscrew it if we have one, a cube that may be a robot buddy, yellow graph paper(?), and a switch on the right wall for power. Why is to off, anyway? Ask robot. Also, ask robot if it has a preferred name. First, though, examine each object mentioned, ant thoroughly scan each cubic inch with light.

Also, Solifuge, nice touch with the sweeping light shape.
You mean Toolkit Right? I Don't think our Guitar is the correct tool to open very many objects...
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 26, 2017, 12:18:30 pm »

There is no way this will work, but it occurred to me:

The thing dead center looks like a small old-fashioned computer terminal.  You know, monochrome.  Would make no sense to be paired with the larger screen on the right, but inspect screen for any screen burn-in.  There could be an old prompt or error message etched into it from before power was lost, which would give info.

When that fails, pull the bar lever on the right under the lightning bolt logo.  If that's not the power control, then nothing is.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 26, 2017, 02:56:54 pm »

When that fails, pull the bar lever on the right under the lightning bolt logo.  If that's not the power control, then nothing is.
Pulse Eon
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 26, 2017, 04:02:04 pm »

>Read ye book
Long Live United Forenia!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 26, 2017, 08:13:11 pm »

>Loot All

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 26, 2017, 11:11:08 pm »

There is no way this will work, but it occurred to me:
[...]

The thing dead center looks like a small old-fashioned computer terminal.  You know, monochrome.  Would make no sense to be paired with the larger screen on the right, but inspect screen for any screen burn-in.  There could be an old prompt or error message etched into it from before power was lost, which would give info.[...]
I'm detecting older person wisdom--largely because I'm adopted, Aaaaaaaaand my folks are elders who are pretty awesome to be with. This whole post had me nostalgic about the age gap I live in, and how I lived with the transition of technology for about 50 years despite my age :P
Love posts like these.

That said, I do like how the robot's eye widened when it saw us sit down and *BLARGH*. That's a nice touch there. :D

>Loot All
+1
Prioritize things we can USE or READ in our inventory slots.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 29, 2017, 02:50:06 pm »

Inspect the underside of the counter.
Perhaps there could be yucky used chewing gum hanging from there.

Edit:
Actually, go check the floor tiles/blocks for footprints or other signs of someone entering this small room.
That's probably an easier way to figure out if anyone's been here recently if the items and fixtures down here don't provide any clues.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:29:33 pm by StrawBarrel »
Max avatar size is 80x80

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 29, 2017, 11:19:04 pm »

Inspect the underside of the counter.
Perhaps there could be yucky used chewing gum hanging from there.

Edit:
Actually, go check the floor tiles/blocks for footprints or other signs of someone entering this small room.
That's probably an easier way to figure out if anyone's been here recently if the items and fixtures down here don't provide any clues.
I wonder if we can force ask Solifuge to draw pixel dust :3
As in, check for Footprints or any markings that may be present if the floor or walls is dusty; meaning a long time being left unattended.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 02, 2017, 08:03:58 pm »

> ...ask robot if it has a preferred name.

Suddenly, you realize that you never asked the Robot what their name was.
And, now that you think about it, you never introduced yourself either? Whoops!

You look around for them, hoping to talk, but you don't see them anywhere.
It seems like they didn't follow you down into this room, for some reason?

Weird, but oh well. You suppose you'll just have to ask them later.

> Check the floor tiles/blocks for footprints or other signs of someone entering this small room.

You start investigating the room, and it's contents.

A shelf and a metal desk run along one end of the room. They're covered in clutter and dust.
In fact, everything in this room is covered in a thick, gritty layer of dust.
There are no noticeable footsteps, or signs of recent disturbances, except for yours.

If you had to guess, no one has been in this room for quite some time.

> Lotta stuff here. Let's start with looking at the thing to the right, then work our way left.

Starting from the right, you see a stack of Loose Paper, covered in writing.
The pages are old and yellowed, but the words look legible at a glance.

Left of that, there's a box-shaped Metal Monitor, and a same-sized loose Metal Plate.
It reminds you of your Robot friend, minus the spider legs. And semblance of life.
Maybe it's broken? Looks like it might be partially disassembled.

Next, there's a large, dusty shelving unit, covered in various junk, bits, and bobs.
Working your way from the top down, you see Crumpled Paper and a Large Book.
Under that, some kind of unknown Circuit Board, with a stray wire attached.
Next to that are a few fist-sized Metallic Canisters, each with a nubby bit on top.
Something about the shape makes you think of larger-than-usual batteries.
Lastly, the bottom shelf is full of several shiny, reddish Metal Bars of some sort.

You'd like to take all this stuff with you, but your bag can only fit a few more items.
You might have been able to take more, if you still had your second Duffle Bag. Too bad it got eaten.
Still... it makes you wonder. Did you bring an empty bag, knowing you'd want to loot this place?

You're near the limit of how much weight you can comfortably carry, in any case.
You'll have to pick a limited number of these things, if any, to bring with you.

> Prioritize things we can USE or READ

Before you decide what you want to take, you need to find out what's in here.

You decide to focus on sources of information. You look at the pile of Loose Papers first.
The pages are ripped along one edge, like they were torn out of something, and left here.
They look like pages from a Day Planner, with printed-out date headers and a space for writing.

The words are handwritten in two distinct styles; one tight-packed and blocky, the other formal and flowing.
No weird symbols, garbled words, or any of that either. Everything looks normal.

You start reading the topmost page.

Spoiler: Loose Papers, Page 1: (click to show/hide)

So, looks like the writers were managers here. This was from some kind of Logbook?
Weird that this, and the rest of these pages, were just torn out and left here like this.
Wonder if that's where those Crumpled-Up Pages came from, too. More of the same?

You'd like to read more, but you decide to set the paper back down on the pile for now.
This might be something you want to take with you.

> Read ye book
> See if we can read the book. Legible words or more dream-writing?

You reach up above the Metal Shelves, and pull down a hefty Red Book.
It's discolored, and musty-smelling. It seems a bit older than the Loose Papers.
You quickly flip through the pages, trying to get a sense for what it's about.

It doesn't seem to have a title, or any words. Just a series of sketches, in dark ink.
There's one that looks like a gear, but with shovel-heads in place of the gear teeth.
Another that's jumble of pipes, bolts, and wires. It reminds you a bit of a car engine.
There's a silhouette of a jagged tower rising above a forest. Tiny bird-shapes swarm around it.
A doodle of faded signs and a traffic light, at an intersection overgrown with vines and trees.
A set of sketches of an aircraft hanger or warehouse, with details of the walls and ceiling struts.
You're guessing this is a sketchbook of some sort. If there's a theme, though, it isn't obvious.

You eventually find a page with a dog-eared corner; a radio, in various stages of disassembly.
Each component has been carefully drawn, with a web of lines connecting them to one another.
It looks an awful lot like the one you found upstairs, come to think of it.

There are other similar sketches in the surrounding pages, of devices that aren't familiar to you.
You'd like to keep looking through it, but you could easily spend hours flipping through this.
For now, you close it, and set it back down near the papers.

> ...pull the bar lever on the right under the lightning bolt logo.  If that's not the power control, then nothing is.

You turn your attention to a metal box attached to the wall, near the staircase landing.
Inside a recess, you see an exposed reddish bar. It looks corroded, or maybe burnt.

The lightning icon at the top hints that it's related to power. Might be the Power Switch?
Without thinking too much about it, you quickly reach forward to grab the bar.

A moment too late, you're reminded of the last time you blindly reached into an alcove.
Panic grabs your heart, the moment before your hand makes contact. Another shock like that could...

Spoiler: Results: (click to show/hide)

The bar is cool to the touch, and very much not electrically charged this time.
You give the bar a few quick pulls, but it doesn't seem to want to budge.
It's solidly stuck in place. Maybe if you pulled a little harder...

With one last firm pull, and a springy metallic sound, the entire Corroded Bar breaks free into your hand.

...wait, breaks free?

Welp. You sure hope that's what was supposed to happen!

Spoiler: GM NOTES: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: CHARACTER STATUS: HANA (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:06:30 am by Solifuge »

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 02, 2017, 08:14:34 pm »

I'm really sorry for you man. The loss of a family member is never easy. Best of luck for you and your family.

>Inspect the items on the shelf. Inspect giant apricots on top of said shelf.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:45:50 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 02, 2017, 08:27:45 pm »

Wait...the other thing we stuck our hand in before...THAT didn't have a handle. What if it was a switch to open the grates? We'd probably need an adhesive of some sort to replace it. maybe our robot friend can make some glue with the mana thing or whatever?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 02, 2017, 08:42:17 pm »

Grab a reddish bar from the shelf and cram it into the socket! Just like a battery!
If that fails, maybe put a Metallic Canister in there?

And note the page in the sketchbook with the radio in it. Might be able to use that to repair the radio and make it work in a non-demonic fashion.

Puzzle solving!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 02, 2017, 09:46:41 pm »

Sorry to hear about the death in the family.  Time goes by and sometimes you know these things are coming, but the real thing can still hit you.

>Inspect the items on the shelf. Inspect giant apricots on top of said shelf.

"Apricots" are crumpled paper.  They might be illuminating if read, but likely are not edible.

And the shiny, reddish Metal Bars of some sort are probably fuses, not batteries.  It's possible that there was supposed to be a catch to hold this thing in place.  The "breaking free" could be bypassing a catch, or it could just be breaking where the bar had rusted in place.

So inspect for a catch on the metal box.  Whether there is one or not, insert a shiny, reddish Metal Bar of some sort.

Edited P.S.: I'm concerned about the nausea and hallucinations noted in the Logbook.  Not perfectly overlapping circumstances, but alarmingly familiar.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:48:31 pm by Sir Knight »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34