Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34

Author Topic: [ISG] Ashwood Cross  (Read 73466 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: [ISG] Ashwood Cross: Now without Robot(?)
« Reply #345 on: April 11, 2017, 10:44:09 pm »

Eh? She said in the notes that she would take only the most popular suggestions for each update. That sure sounds to me like I don't get to affect the outcome unless I try to convince everyone else to go along with it, which I'm not interested in.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 11, 2017, 10:51:05 pm »

You...can keep suggesting anyway :v
It's not like popularity is a pre-determined thing. :P
Just keep at it--and no need to post about it; rather PM the GM or talk about it in private before making it public. Implications affect feelings too.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 11, 2017, 11:06:36 pm »

I see no reason to hide this conversation in PMs.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 11, 2017, 11:40:04 pm »

It's cool, Tiru. No worries.

Also, concerns noted Egan! Just so you know, the monolithic update style was taking about 10+ hours of work per post, which meant committing 2 or 3 evenings just to maintain the one post per week minimum. Made each update feel pretty daunting, and I don't like how it slowed the pacing down either.

I'm trying to find better workflows that save me time here (got some stuff in the works that ought to help), but I'm also trying to fix this issue by being more aggressive in limiting how many suggestions we use per update. As with the most recent post, I'm considering popular suggestions first, but biasing it toward what moves things forward, what plays along with other suggestions, whatever's coolest, and whatever I can combine into a more-or-less single action (or unified set of actions) for the characters to take.

Don't worry about it, if this isn't your thing. I still hope to be able to include a variety of input from folks, though!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 12, 2017, 06:16:02 pm »

Eh? She said in the notes that she would take only the most popular suggestions for each update. That sure sounds to me like I don't get to affect the outcome unless I try to convince everyone else to go along with it, which I'm not interested in.

Well, for one, she also said in those notes that she reserved the right to play favorites, picking particularly amusing or interesting-consequence-rich ones regardless of popular acclaim. Even if other people don't like your suggestion, if it appeals to Soli it'll probably roll.

For seconds, it also seems like an odd position to take when there's only 2 other actions suggested; hardly a cacaphony of votes you're trying to compete with here.

For thirdsys, I find the premise that the popular suggestions are the ones with the most politicking behind them to be flawed; mostly I see people throw out ideas, and if they're attractive to other people it gets quoted and upvoted. The only time in any game I see people trying to convince other people that their idea is good (beyond stating the idea itself) is when the idea itself is obviously self-harmful, and they're trying to argue the lulz are worth the mechanical harm.

Frankly, this is the way I assumed it worked from the beginning, since it's the most sensible way to do suggestion voting in any halfway-popular game that doesn't involve experimental new voting techniques (e.g Suggestion Anarchy.) She didn't even put a hard action cap on it! Back in MY day, you had to be in the top THREE suggestions to even get NOTICE, and you had to walk uphill both ways in the snow to post'm, and nickels had pictures of bumblebees on'm, get off my lawn, etc

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 13, 2017, 02:08:38 am »

For thirdsys, I find the premise that the popular suggestions are the ones with the most politicking behind them to be flawed; mostly I see people throw out ideas, and if they're attractive to other people it gets quoted and upvoted. The only time in any game I see people trying to convince other people that their idea is good (beyond stating the idea itself) is when the idea itself is obviously self-harmful, and they're trying to argue the lulz are worth the mechanical harm.

Frankly, this is the way I assumed it worked from the beginning, since it's the most sensible way to do suggestion voting in any halfway-popular game that doesn't involve experimental new voting techniques (e.g Suggestion Anarchy.) She didn't even put a hard action cap on it! Back in MY day, you had to be in the top THREE suggestions to even get NOTICE, and you had to walk uphill both ways in the snow to post'm, and nickels had pictures of bumblebees on'm, get off my lawn, etc
Hee~ "Back in my day" :P
...I'm following the same thinking in the back in my day actually, and wondered if the statement was moreso out of demoralization by perception than anything else given the state of the ISG (And the GM :P)
Also you gave word to the feelings I've had in thirdsies quite well.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 13, 2017, 04:20:07 am »

Our quest to restore power is (sort of) complete! HUZZAH.

Heck yeah, solving puzzles!
You permit yourself a small, congratulatory fistpump in celebration.

Alright, new quest: Fix ye Radio.

>Take BOOK, CIRCUIT BOARD, and BATTERY(?)

You gather up a collection of items from the shelves.
The Book of Schematics and Sketches could be helpful.
Maybe the Batteries and Circuit Board could fit into something?

You're not sure, but you pack them all into your Duffel Bag.
When you're finished, the Bag is filled it to capacity.
You don't think you can fit anything else inside.

Your bag full of loot, you head up the stairs, returning to the cave above.
Much like the room you were just in, this chamber is also lit up by Emergency Lights.

Other than that, not much seems to have changed.

>Use guitar repair tools to open up the RADIO.
>Try to fix ? ? ?

As you step over to the Green Radio, you hear more faint static. It kinda freaks you out again!
This time, though, it sounds real? Like the static is something your ears are actually hearing now, instead of...?
Yeah. It sounds more like normal, Non-Psychic-Hell Radio static now. This is a good thing.
Perhaps it only needed power? Or maybe... whatever happened earlier was all in your head?

Whatever. That's not important.

What is important is that, though you haven't tested it yet, it seems like it might be working now.
And if it ain't broke...

What do you want to do with it?

Spoiler: CHARACTER STATUS: HANA (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:45:30 pm by Solifuge »

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 13, 2017, 05:01:05 am »

Turn the flashlight off, for starters. Gotta save batteries. Then, proceed to listen to the radio. With the thing by your ear. Also what the heck's up with Robot?
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 13, 2017, 05:51:41 am »

Oh no! Robutt! What happen?

Turn the flashlight off, for starters. Gotta save batteries. Then, proceed to listen to the radio.
Yes.
Also,

>Examine Robot. What's wrong with it?
Long Live United Forenia!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 13, 2017, 06:37:24 am »

What's to the left of the door we just went out of? Left from this viewpoint, that is.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 13, 2017, 08:08:17 am »

We have reached a crucial part of our adventure.

A full inventory.

Well guess we can carry the rest of these until we find another opportunity to see and get more things. :P

Check on Robotbuddy. It seems a bit...down.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:22:08 pm by Tiruin »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #356 on: April 13, 2017, 08:44:57 am »

Turn the flashlight off, for starters. Gotta save batteries. Then, proceed to listen to the radio. With the thing by your ear. Also what the heck's up with Robot?
+1

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 13, 2017, 09:40:04 am »

Gah!  Mysterious robot status!  I checked the terminal log over here in case there was something about exhaustion, and there isn't.  The robot status below indicates it has "Gate Fatigue," but this just means it can't extract mana for awhile.  Hopefully it's merely in a low-power mode waiting for our return.

Gently pat robot on the head.

Also, turn the wheel on the wall, climb the stairs, push every button, explore explore whee!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 13, 2017, 01:22:43 pm »

Gah!  Mysterious robot status!  I checked the terminal log over here in case there was something about exhaustion, and there isn't.  The robot status below indicates it has "Gate Fatigue," but this just means it can't extract mana for awhile.  Hopefully it's merely in a low-power mode waiting for our return.

Also, turn the wheel on the wall, climb the stairs, push every button, explore explore whee!

Whoo non-OSHA compliant subterranean playground yeah!

+1

+1, although investigate the possibility that the hand unit is not a speaker but a microphone; "Hello Hello Test Test" and such

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 13, 2017, 01:47:01 pm »

Whoo non-OSHA compliant subterranean playground yeah!

+1

+1, although investigate the possibility that the hand unit is not a speaker but a microphone; "Hello Hello Test Test" and such
+1 if we also say "Cleanup in isle 3", "Richard Bitrary to the principal's office", and other such classics.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34