Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]

Author Topic: [ISG] Ashwood Cross  (Read 73480 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: [ISG] Ashwood Cross
« Reply #495 on: October 20, 2017, 05:52:39 pm »

Spoiler: @Derm (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 20, 2017, 06:10:01 pm »

I'm a one-forum critter, so, uh, bye.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 20, 2017, 10:08:11 pm »

Darn. I'm not going to use a forum just for one game, so... this is it, I guess. I'll probably follow along on the website once it's up, though.

Edit: SV is cool, but you'd have a whole host of problems if you tried to run an image-heavy quest (e.g. this one) over there.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:13:09 pm by Elephant Parade »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 20, 2017, 10:20:08 pm »

Darn. I'm not going to use a forum just for one game, so... this is it, I guess. I'll probably follow along on the website once it's up, though.

Edit: SV is cool, but you'd have a whole host of problems if you tried to run an image-heavy quest (e.g. this one) over there.

Dexexe seems to manage just fine...
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 20, 2017, 11:48:26 pm »

Even ignoring the art and content, just formatting an update takes hours of work on it's own, and formatting for several message boards (and doing it again in HTML/CSS), is just not something I can afford to do. This is a for-fun project I put a decent chunk of time into, and mediocre talent notwithstanding I choose to do it for free ('cause I'm cool like that). What I get out of it is exercising and learning new skills, the satisfaction of having entertained folks, and making a thing they and I can both appreciate for what it is.

I understand that folks may feel disappointed by the move. And I'm honestly kinda bummed by the meh response, though I do understand. I've just been closer with that community for a while, and enjoy their creativity, support, enthusiasm, and even them being a smaller but more focused crowd. I've met tons of new friends, and have yet to meet someone I just don't get along with, which is a pretty rare thing! If I can only manage formatting for one community, moving my creative works there just made sense for me personally.

Long term, I definitely want to make it available online, in a way that's not limited to a single community, though. I feel like the way this whole Interactive Web Media Genre is mostly dealing in works that are highly insular, and locked to specific groups or internet hangouts, is kinda holding them back from being a more widely-recognized genre/medium/phenomenon. And I think that's a real shame. One of my pet projects / side-goals is to help make this whole genre a bit more mainstream-accessible, and less insular than it is now. Making tools and networks for folks to promote other folk's interactive fiction projects in ways that aren't married to specific online social groups. That's why I've been prototyping the website, actually! It's not just a website for me, but an open framework that anyone could use for these kind of projects, and adapt for their needs.

Anyway, once the mirror site is the main place I'm posting updates, the plan was to resume taking suggestions here and elsewhere, and link those updates in this and other threads for as long as it was wanted. However, if folks here would rather not be bothered with that, that's fine too; I don't particularly want to clutter the subforum with stuff folks don't care for. I'm perfectly cool with locking this thread, and just letting folks PM me for The Deets on an individual basis too, if that's your preference.

We started this thread almost a year ago. I really do appreciate your participation! It's been nice making something for y'all, with y'all. So, thanks.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #500 on: October 21, 2017, 01:44:06 am »

I totally get just keeping things to one forum until your site goes up. It's nice to hear that Eagle Time has been very receptive to your game. Personally I might join the forum with a little more encouragement. Maybe if I felt there was a place where I could host my own artwork, since I don't think people really care for my work enough on bay12 to make my own thread and the response to my recent work on my SV thread has been friendly but very quiet of late (not the least because I can't post NSFW work there now that their NSFW boards closed).

Anyway, good luck, you put a lot of hard work into everything you do, including Ashwood Cross, and you deserve recognition for it!

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 21, 2017, 08:16:36 am »

Long term, I definitely want to make it available online, in a way that's not limited to a single community, though. I feel like the way this whole Interactive Web Media Genre is mostly dealing in works that are highly insular, and locked to specific groups or internet hangouts, is kinda holding them back from being a more widely-recognized genre/medium/phenomenon. And I think that's a real shame. One of my pet projects / side-goals is to help make this whole genre a bit more mainstream-accessible, and less insular than it is now. Making tools and networks for folks to promote other folk's interactive fiction projects in ways that aren't married to specific online social groups. That's why I've been prototyping the website, actually! It's not just a website for me, but an open framework that anyone could use for these kind of projects, and adapt for their needs.

Do it!  This is exactly the sort of thing that's needed/that could take off.  Imagine being able to plug in an interactive fiction page to your blog or whatever.  That would be fun by itself (especially if you could make it user-friendly and at least as easy as a forum game), but I also work with people who publish real-world interactive fiction books: we all have "web presence," but sometimes blogs are boring.  I could see somebody "demoing" a product online or such.

And that's beyond just helping out with forum games, which alone would be valued for its ability to create a navigable archive and reference space.

Anyway, once the mirror site is the main place I'm posting updates, the plan was to resume taking suggestions here and elsewhere, and link those updates in this and other threads for as long as it was wanted. However, if folks here would rather not be bothered with that, that's fine too; I don't particularly want to clutter the subforum with stuff folks don't care for. I'm perfectly cool with locking this thread, and just letting folks PM me for The Deets on an individual basis too, if that's your preference.

I arrived too late to see the links to the ongoing game, so heck yes I'd like to hear about the website when it exists.  I don't see a "bother" in you resuming this thread by directing people to your new archive for each update.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 21, 2017, 11:34:34 am »

I got nothing to say that everyone else here hasn't said already. Just keep doing what you're doing, and I look forward to when the website goes up!
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]