Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Steam Awards - what are your picks?  (Read 2982 times)

Jar of Jam

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_JAM]
    • View Profile
The Steam Awards - what are your picks?
« on: November 28, 2016, 11:31:12 am »

This year, during the annual Steam Autumn Sale, Valve has introduced a new thing called Steam Awards, together with a set of unusual categories everyone who has a Steam account can vote on. It's hard to say what the eventual result of it would be, even though Steam promises some sort of an award ceremony in December, which most likely will result in deeper discounts during the Winter Sale, or something of that sort.

Now I've wanted to ask everyone - have you voted in the Steam Awards and if so, what are your picks and are you willing to elaborate a bit as to why you've picked those games?

For the ease of copying, here are the various categories:

The “Test of Time” Award
The “I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye” Award
The “Just 5 More Minutes” Award
The “Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!” Award
The “Villain Most In Need Of A Hug” Award
The “Game Within A Game” Award
The “I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award” Award
The “Best Use Of A Farm Animal” Award
The “Your Category Name Here” Award

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam Awards - what are your picks?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 11:50:29 am »

As a reminder: if you decide to change your mind or think of a better candidate for a certain award you can go to the store page you assigned the award to, select the award, then choose 'none' and the award will be made available for other games instead.

Spoiler: The List (click to show/hide)
That last one is mostly because I can't come up with an award off the top of my head and saw some other people doing it, hehe. Nothing stands out to me for the other awards though... was thinking maybe Evil Genius for the villain thing...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 12:01:25 pm »

Spoiler: My Choices (click to show/hide)

I could probably think of some better choices for each category, but mostly I just wanted the free badge.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 12:02:09 pm »

The “Test of Time” Award - Eve Online (13 years and better than ever)
The “I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye” Award - To The Moon
The “Just 5 More Minutes” Award - Rocket League
The “Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!” Award - Antichamber
The “Villain Most In Need Of A Hug” Award - Cthulhu Saves The World
The “Game Within A Game” Award - Witcher 3 (although I bought it on gog so can't vote)
The “I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award” Award - Kenshi
The “Best Use Of A Farm Animal” Award - Worms
The “Excellence In Masochism” Award - Blood Bowl 2
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 12:11:25 pm »

You also do not need to own the game on Steam to nominate it. Just go to its store page. I don't have RCT2 on Steam (GOG version) but I was able to nominate it anyway.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 12:23:25 pm »

The “Test of Time” Award  Dota 2 (the mechanics are surprisingly close to the original mod)
The “I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye” Award Portal that ending song man...
The “Just 5 More Minutes” Award Crusader kings 2
The “Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!” Award Portal / Portal 2
The “Villain Most In Need Of A Hug” Award Portal 2
The “Game Within A Game” Award Final fantasy 8 I may have more hours in that stupid card game than in the main game.
The “I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award” Award La-Mulana
The “Best Use Of A Farm Animal” Award Warcraft 3 Sheep tag! (not in steam, but it's all I got)
The “Your Category Name Here” Award "Destroyed controller award" La-Mulana

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 01:10:31 pm »

I wanted to pick only games from my library, so I'm not entirely satisfied with some choices.

The “Test of Time” Award: Civilization IV
The “I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye” Award: This war of mine
The “Just 5 More Minutes” Award: Hearts of Iron III
The “Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!” Award: Factorio
The “Villain Most In Need Of A Hug” Award: Dark Souls
The “Game Within A Game” Award: Fallout New Vegas (pretty much random, as I usually hate minigames. Final Fantasy X should go here, but I played it on the ps2)
The “I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award” Award: Battle Brothers
The “Best Use Of A Farm Animal” Award: Rimworld (can't think of anything better)
The “Best game made by terrible developers” Award: War Thunder

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 01:47:34 pm »

I haven't done all of mine yet, but

Villain in need of a hug was HOI4  ;D
Best farm animal was undertale
And the We Didn't Think of Everything was No Man's Sky at Biggest Disappointment
I'm not Crying went to Red Orchestra 2 since Undertale was already used
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 06:03:19 pm »

... man, I didn't even know steam had subspace continuum in its library. Apparently showed up last year, now that I check on it. That definitely got my test of time nom.

Crying got Last Remnant. Just... well, the blurb doesn't specify it can't be tears of laughter. Not that it did it intentionally, but still. Game's plot and character interactions cracked me up for all the wrong reasons, indeed to the point of tears a time or two. I didn't even get very far into it!
5 minutes was ToME4. Spent way too much damn time playing that ruddy thing.
Whoa was Blacksea Odyssey. Still haven't actually played more than the demo (and that only long enough to see my current comp can't run it well enough to enjoy playing it), but I've watched through an LP and holy hell that final boss. That is how you do a final goddamn boss.
Villainhug was Voidspire Tactics. Can't quite recall why, though. Just that there was something really sympathetic about some antagonist or another in there.
Game within game, well. Think the closest thing I've got in my library to a game that has one is Sacred Tears TRUE, so it got the nom. It... doesn't really have a minigame. Just a sort of one built into the combat system. Can't recall any over last two decades and change I actually enjoyed, either, so :V
Hipster one was Siralim 2. Don't even know if it's slated to get an award. Also don't care, ahaha!
Farm animal was stardew, from sheer laziness. I'd choose the worm franchise as a whole if it was an option, but I don't remember which specific games in the series had the best exploding livestock so they all lose out.
Magicmaker got the custom. "Most Ways to Explode a Goblin."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 06:13:22 pm »

Test of time: DotA 2 (more like virtual crystal meth award)
I'm not crying: Dreamfall Chapter (it didn't really make me cry, but, yeah, very emotional stuff after all these years)
Just 5 More Minutes: EUIV (no need for an explanation)
Whoaah, dude! : EYE (same)
Villain Most in Need of a Hug: Valkyria Chronicles(I don't even like Selvaria, but someone suggested it in the forums and I found it funny, so why not?)
Game within a game: Sanctum 2(some neat arcade minigames in this one, don't own any other game that fits either)
Farm animal: I'm boycotting this obviously rigged "Goat Simulator Award"
I thought this game was cool...: ToME (not many that fit the bill)
Please make the voices stop: Borderlands 2 (can't go 5 minutes without 3 NPCs spouting unfunny memes at your face simultaneously)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 06:25:20 pm »

I nominated Steins;Gate for the "I'm not crying" category and didn't even notice there was a badge to possibly get by nominating more things

Edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:41:07 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 11:25:53 pm »

The “Test of Time” Award X-COM: UFO Defense
The “I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye” Award The House in Fata Morgana
The “Just 5 More Minutes” Award Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword
The “Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!” Award Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
The “Villain Most In Need Of A Hug” Award Undertale
The “Game Within A Game” Award The Secret World
The “I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award” Award Rain World
The “Best Use Of A Farm Animal” Award Ultimate Chicken Horse
The “Most Promising Early Access” Award Battle Brothers

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 12:38:10 am »

The “Test of Time” Award: X-Com: UFO Defense
The “I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye” Award: Homeworld (Remastered collection since that's what's on Steam, but y'all know what I mean. Kharak burns.)
The “Just 5 More Minutes” Award: Randomly distributed to Morrowind because GalCivII and CivIII aren't on Steam, and the later incarnations of each can suck a duck.
The “Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!” Award: EDF 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair. You know why.
The “Villain Most In Need Of A Hug” Award: F.E.A.R. If you count Alma as a villain.
The “Game Within A Game” Award: AssCreed IV: Because yo ho we're pirates, duh.
The “I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award” Award: Fairy Bloom Freesia. Always had a soft spot, and it's pretty darn good for what it is.
The “Best Use Of A Farm Animal” Award: AoE II. Had to give it to ShitD version because Steam.
The “Spinning Murder-Beyblade and Waifu Healer Buddy Cop Adventure” Award: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. Why do you think?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 01:18:34 am »

The “Just 5 More Minutes” Award: Randomly distributed to Morrowind because GalCivII and CivIII aren't on Steam, and the later incarnations of each can suck a duck.

Both of those are on Steam. Or are you upset that they are "ultimate edition" and "complete", respectively?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 08:38:06 am »

Both of those are on Steam. Or are you upset that they are "ultimate edition" and "complete", respectively?

Huh. So they are. Coulda sworn they weren't, especially since I tried to find the latter to rebuy after I couldn't locate my disc.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: [1] 2