Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question on language and translation  (Read 539 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question on language and translation
« on: November 28, 2016, 03:02:12 pm »

Is there a way to append to an [OBJECT:LANGUAGE] [TRANSLATION:X] without just rewriting the original file?  I wanted to add a "few" words to my DF.  I can add all the words I want in a separate file from language_words.txt.  But to make them appear say in [TRANSLATION:DWARF], I appear to be required to add them to the original translation list (language_DWARF.txt), I can't make a separate file as it seems to be completely ignored.  I can remove the original file and suddenly it will use the new file, but I want to be able to add to it, instead of replace it.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: question on language and translation
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 08:56:16 pm »

No, not possible, as discussed per PM.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 06:55:20 am »

I understand not wanting to step on the vanilla file, but the language does have to be all I one place.  You can make a copy of language_DWARF, add your changes to it, then modify entity_default to point at your enhanced file.

Unless you are adding completely new symbols that only dwarves use, you should go thru the same copy-and-add process for the other languages as well.  Otherwise you'll end up with the occasional name that includes a blank word.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 08:21:10 am »

Yeah, you can make the entity use DWARF_EXPANDED, which is your file + all the vanilla content, and leave the old DWARF language alone. Although you'd change more of the original entity_default. One of the two it has to be.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 08:33:15 pm »

Yeah it looks like its an all or nothing file... I'll jut move the vanilla words into the created diction and rebuild... at least then all the words will be in alphabetical order.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal