Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tobacco Appreciation Thread: Smokum Peace Pipe edition  (Read 4592 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Tobacco Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 06:31:03 pm »

Pipe Tobacco is legimately flavorful and smells quite nice compared to cigarettes. It can get rank if you don't air out rooms though. The odor is quiet heavy.

And was it anymore enjoyable than other things you've tried?

My preference (for uhm, legal smokables) goes:

1. Good cigars.
2. Hookahs and shisha.
3. Pipe Tobacco.
4. Cigarettes. (To be honest they only rank here because of the nicotine.)
5. Average to shit cigars.
6. Everything else.

I really like Hookahs. One of the few things you can smoke off and on for literally hours and not destroy yourself. I'd enjoy my hookah more if it didn't take so much work to set up or put in a place it's not in your way. Hookahs are like the perfect rich guy smoke because it's something you'd have the help prepare and serve to you, and you'd look regal as fuck.

People keep asking me about vaping and eh, it just doesn't do it for me. Not only is it too trendy, not only do most vape sticks look ridiculous...it just doesn't have the visceral impact of regular burning plant matter. And I get annoyed at watching vapers try and skirt the rules of polite society. When they first got big a couple years ago I watched a guy vaping on a plane flight and was sorely tempted to make an issue out of it to the flight crew. I still occasionally see people trying to sneak a vape where they're not supposed to, like anyone is going to miss the cloud going up around you.

What I hate?

Let's try this: let's not hate on smoking or smoking politics in this thread, in either direction. If people shouldn't parachute in here to say how much they hate smoking, it should be equally as important for smokers to not sit here and hate on people hating on tobacco.

To that end, maybe change the thread title to "Tobacco Appreciation Thread." That might at least stop some people from knee jerk posting in here thinking it's a place to hate.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:34:37 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Tobacco Appreciation Thread: Smokum Peace Pipe edition
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 03:38:45 am »

It's funny 'cause over here we call electronic tobacco-ingesting devices "e-cigs", and "vape" pretty much exclusively refers to the mildly illegal kind of smoking. Always find it amusing seeing people using the terms interchangeably. :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Tobacco Thread
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 08:43:17 am »

You know what I hate? When other people are smoking outside a store and I have to walk through it, or in a car with the windows down and the wind blowing it at me. I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS, KEEP YOUR LUNG CANCER SMOKE TO YOURSELVES

You know what I really hate? When I'm having a smoke outside a store, and dozens people pass by me on their 2-cylinder scooters*, and diesel vans, polluting my air with a thousand times more carcinogenic particles than I could ever create with my tiny smokestick.
NEVER ASKED FOR THIS, KEEP YOUR LUNG CANCER EXHAUST PLUMES TO YOURSELVES

I also really wish they would revert the laws that banned smoking from all workplaces including the old brown pubs. The atmosphere in those is completely gone.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On topic, I mostly just smoke rolling tobacco. I tend to infuse it with Dutch vegetables though.
On special occasions, I do enjoy a nice big cigar of the 'I love it when a plan comes together' kind. Not those small vanilla scented horrors, please no.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:48:52 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 12:15:55 pm »

I can agree that the small flavored cigars are terrible.

Pipe Tobacco is legimately flavorful and smells quite nice compared to cigarettes. It can get rank if you don't air out rooms though. The odor is quiet heavy.

I really like Hookahs. One of the few things you can smoke off and on for literally hours and not destroy yourself. I'd enjoy my hookah more if it didn't take so much work to set up or put in a place it's not in your way. Hookahs are like the perfect rich guy smoke because it's something you'd have the help prepare and serve to you, and you'd look regal as fuck.

Thank you, my friends and I have been looking for decent pipes to try it with but haven't found any yet.

Also yes,hookah is fantastic though I have only tried it at a lounge where you just order the flavor you want off a menu and pay for however many are going to be smoking which is kinda nice since you don't have to worry about cleaning equipment and they have really good smoothies. Down side, they are not cheap and the lounge is a good 50+ miles away...
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 01:52:53 pm »

I generally enjoy newport 100s, I don't vape because it aggravates my asthma unfortunately unlike cigarettes, or so it seems. Dry leaf tobacco works better for me but I can't find anything without the pesticides and carcinogens in it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2016, 01:57:43 pm »

Anyone like to take a shot at explaining what smoking actually feels like? I'm curious. In any level of detail. My only reference is reading Solzhenitsyn. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 02:47:06 pm »

Anyone like to take a shot at explaining what smoking actually feels like? I'm curious. In any level of detail. My only reference is reading Solzhenitsyn. :P

It's..hard to explain? It's like breathing in smoke from a camp fire except it doesn't smell or taste like burning wood. The smoke is "hot" but not in a way that burns your lungs like campfire smoke, and it fills your lungs up and makes your chest feel a little tight. Then you exhale and get a head rush as the nicotine goes into your blood stream. (For new smokers anyways, the body quickly adapts and the head rushes stop happening.) The smoke is harsh...but not as harsh as campfire or wood smoke. (This is why Hookahs are so pleasant to smoke, the water filters out several impurities and harshness.)

It's that tactile sensation of smoke filling your lungs, that I don't get with vaping. It's like breathing normally to me, only smoke comes out.

FWIW, almost no one enjoys their first puff. Almost everyone coughs, eyes water and all that. If that isn't enough to dissuade you, as it does many people, you carry on and the body adapts and you enjoy smoking from them on.

The real joy of smoking for me is that smoke after you eat a good meal.....it's just so....satisfying. And some believe it aids in digestion.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:02:29 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2016, 03:58:23 pm »

Hmm. It's rather odd to explain, but I shall give it an attempt.

It is both a relaxing and re-invigorating feeling to me. It is like taking a brief break to re-arrange your thoughts, while it also feels like increasing the throttle to your engines, in a sense. It increases the pace of thought, but does so in a way that makes the whole machinery run smoother, rather than just slightly faster.
If it is the first baccy for the day, or after a lengthy time without (like after work or a long train trip), there is a lovely sense of numbness and lightness that radiates through the body. It is quite brief, and it is not the sort of numbness that gets in the way, but it does set one quite right for the day. It is rather like a whisp of fresh air, but through your head.

As for physicals, it does not really 'feel' much, at least not to me. It does not strike out from the lungs into the blood in a way one can feel. Well, you do notice smoke at work in your lungs, but it is soothing, rather than grating. It is quite subtle. I don't feel the smoke running through the piping, either, except for an odd, cleansing sensation. I suppose it is anything but cleansing, but smoking out the old pipework feels... Strangely pleasant and enjoyable, particularly the feeling when it runs through the nose.

The first experience with smoking I had was quite odd. It is very true that large amounts of nicotine makes you nauseus when you are unaccostumed to it. Still, I managed quite well, for a 10 year old following through on a very silly dare (ask the big, bad teenage kids under the bridge for a puff). It is probably best to start small, all together.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 11:20:42 pm »

Live! 

I figure it probably won't do much to rez a thread like this on a forum like this but I'll give it a shot, most of the people I see in the thread are still active so who knows.

Having bought a swisher (lol) and some black and milds (not bad) I decided to see what "cigar man" would look like tacked onto my personality and got some starter supplies from the local smoke shop.  A V-cutter, wooden matches, and two cheap mild robusto cigars, a Tobacos Baez short fill and a Helix. 

Just got done smoking the TB and I'm feeling like I should've done the Helix first.  The unlit TB had a pleasing nutty smell that got me excited but since it was my first time I charred the wrapper a bit and ended up with a chemical aftertaste.  The few clean draws I got were good though.  I'll do the Helix tomorrow and try for a cleaner light. 

It's a fun experience.  Sit in a comfy rocker outside, slow down for a while and live in the moment.  A thick cigar has a real nice feel in your hand.  A lot to take in first-time even on a very mild cigar.  Couldn't really pick out any specific flavors, but as the char taste and the nicotine tingle fade I just have that nice nutty coffee flavor on my lips when I breathe, and I'll be enjoying that for the rest of the night.

Never vaped, or smoked anything you inhale for that matter, but I know people who've used vape to kick nicotine habits with the controlled dosage, so that's nice.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:27:46 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 02:24:11 am »

It hurts my lungs. I should give it up. :|

But all the good conversations happen between smokers outside a bar at night.

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 03:50:22 am »

It's a fun experience.  Sit in a comfy rocker outside, slow down for a while and live in the moment.  A thick cigar has a real nice feel in your hand.  A lot to take in first-time even on a very mild cigar.  Couldn't really pick out any specific flavors, but as the char taste and the nicotine tingle fade I just have that nice nutty coffee flavor on my lips when I breathe, and I'll be enjoying that for the rest of the night.

Never vaped, or smoked anything you inhale for that matter, but I know people who've used vape to kick nicotine habits with the controlled dosage, so that's nice.

I'm basically the same though I prefer Pipe tobacco, mainly because it is very relaxing, taste good and its like a form of ritual. You have to set it up, get the embers going and afterwards you have to clean it. Problem is its expensive because of very high sale taxes and even higher import tariffs on top of that.

And I really like cigars, even mediocre ones. I don't like shishas or hookas, though I can see the enjoyment of having it while gaming or watching series.

Cigarillos can be nice, sort of like a sweet. But I rarely use it, maybe half a dozen time in a year or less.

And I don't like cigarettes, but I do smoke them when on military exercise in winter. Never inhale it down to the lungs though even if some people consider it waste.

have a friend who have smoked for 20 years who stopped suddenly a few months ago, he calculated that with the money he would save he could buy a apartment in the Philippines after 1 years. So it's not impossible. Personally I have no idea how hard it is, my father told me you have to stop thinking of cigarettes as a reward to yourself in order to quit.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:37:57 am by ChristianWeiseth »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 09:50:33 pm »

Just had a 5 Vegas gold.  Melts in your mouth, first cigar I've had I can say I genuinely enjoyed throughout and wasn't working through it to develop my palate.  Started out a little harsh for me, spicy, but then subtle enough I could taste the cream when I pulled it in.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:18:45 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 10:19:53 pm »

I've smoked cigars occasionally, mostly with my dad & brother. I do remember getting my hands on a genuine cuban a couple years back, though. Fucking christ, it was something. Smooth as hell and hit me so hard I actually threw up. I stick with house rolls mostly from my local shop but other than that I've enjoyed Macanudos & JFK's.

I smoke cigarettes whenever I'm having a stressful day, i.e. at work or after class. Not something i'm proud of, but as far as preferences go I stick to American Spirit, no menthol light blend.

I did recently buy a pipe, and an ounce of some pretty heady tobacco. I use it to either smoke hash or that, depending on my mood.

I have friends who vape, and I've been pleasently surprised by the experience. I tend towards lighter flavors and higher nicotine percentages. However, I don't think i'll have the extra money to put into buying a whole rig, so...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2017, 10:23:20 pm »

Never even seen a cuban, not really interested in them right now.  Too expensive, too easy to get fucked over.  Ironically Cuba is the leading producer of fake Cubans and one of the worst places to try to buy real ones.  They ship tobacco in from other countries or use rejected Cuban short filler.  Apparently you can get some pretty high-quality fakes but I'd rather stick to budget stuff.  It's like wine, price correlates more with image than quality. 

Had a Drew Estate Undercrown today.  It's like smoking a bar of baking chocolate.  Not sure what I'll smoke tomorrow, if anything.
Shoes...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2017, 10:44:56 pm »

Amusingly enough, I've actually seen a legit cuban before. Old friend of the family (I think they may be dead now, or soon to be) was a first or second generation immigrant, only really smoked cigars and managed to get some into the country. Dunno if they ever got around to smoking all of 'em, though. Never smelled it, but I saw it.

Remember the things (cigars) didn't smell nearly as bad as the more common deathsticks. Still gave a college try at very literally killing me, but didn't smell as bad.

... but yeah, don't smoke, personally. Most of the folks around me don't, either, though about half my immediate family spent a good few years addicted, and I've had friends or acquaintances that did about every normal sort of tobacco from snuff to loose leaf pipe smoking. Above and beyond just not having interest, somewhere like a decade and a half ago being around the stuff's smoke too much started causing headaches bad enough to cause me to straight up black out if I was stuck in it too long. So... yeah, heh. Just wanted to share I've ran into one of the fancy ones before :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 [2] 3