Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: THIS POST SHOULD BE DELETED.  (Read 23190 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
THIS POST SHOULD BE DELETED.
« on: November 28, 2016, 08:19:39 pm »

TOPIC DELETED AND CLOSED NO ADDITIONAL UPLOADS OR UPDATES WILL BE AVAILABLE.

An issue with this mod along side other large mod systems causes certain issues and since interest never really picked up I decided to remove it completely.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:13:04 pm by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Amostubal's Expanded Dictionary
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 08:57:30 pm »

As I told you times and times again: Amazing project. Well done and good luck with the symbols.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 02:26:08 am »

I can't check the contents of the file right now, but I take it there are language_SYM and language_words files included? If so, I could add support for my own modpack as well.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 06:25:45 am »

I'm working on a SYM file right now.  I released it to test the waters it was 2 weeks of editing completed.   The next set I plan to release this weekend will expand the SYM file(currently up 400 entries, though I really want to reach about 4000+).

The next update also is reduced in size as I dropped a lot of unnecessary tags from the file, and instituted a new layout.(~25%  smaller language_words.txt)

right now I'm just plugging away reading line by line of suggested symbol:s_word matches and selecting/refusing them.

but yes if it appears to be something your interested in, add it in.  I am currently planning on at least biweekly updates, since this isn't a project that will be done over night,

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 06:29:41 am by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 09:09:21 am »

Crap, even after I put the whole of the language in the language generation program I use it seems to give the "insufficient data" error - I'll have to see if there's some other way to update the language files.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 04:53:09 pm »

Uh oh... whose word generator do you use.  I used talivieno's.  It was too big for his, so I had to break it into chunks, 4 separate files, the only issue is that there are some words that cross populated between them...  I considered hunting them down... but it's rather difficult and I considered it a silly issue.  Most languages have words with multiple meanings... some of which are complete opposites, so I shrugged it off as an issue of each races language formation. 

I'm about a quarter of the way through symbol generation.  Mostly the name_xxxxxx, magic, fire, dark, evil.... was hoping to finish it up in the next 24 hours.

What language/race are you trying to create?

I've already spotted and removed approximately 100 entries that are too specific/techy/etc. Just a warning, as I didn't consider recording the actual words removed, I think in a future version, I'll make a script that spots and records the differences between versions.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 05:33:45 pm »

I'm using Igfig's DFLang.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 03:34:03 pm »

interesting I'll download it and play with it... It may have an issue with a few duplicates (73 actually I removed them this morning)... who knows whats going on.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 08:25:38 pm »

okay ZM5... I've downloaded it and ran it on my current version and it operated just fine...I'm guessing the previous version had a few small errors enough to make it upset.  I think I fixed them all.

I'll be releasing a new version very soon.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 10:08:11 pm »

So now I'm looking for editors... I've split my dictionary into 10 parts.  I'm going to upload them soon.  I need some people interested in going through a section (its only ~1600 entries each, and Its broken down into a more readable format).  I'm going to write a readme.txt with the file explaining the nomenclature of the file and once each section is complete you can upload it to me and I'll copy it back into the dictionary.  I also need some suggestions as to what to add/delete/include.  I'm also considering new symbols to add into the symbol file.

anyways if your interested, pm me are post here.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 11:59:09 am »

I'm up for it.

Edit: As far as I'm aware, adding new symbols is impossible.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:10:28 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 08:52:54 pm »

Well, I've had an accidental group added (didn't spot that I had cut NAME_DESERT on a few and they ended up in a new group called DESERT).  The game didn't seem to care that the new group was there.  I can see a few ways to test it...  everything I've read basically says you need to maintain the NAME_XXXXXX symbols, all the others don't matter for the normal game.  I do know that if the NAME_XXXXXX aren't present all maps end up with no names, and their embark sites,regions and forests wont have names either.  I've done that back accident, dropping in a blank SYM.txt file.

I guess, I could make a test SYM.txt, with a new symbol group in it (copy of artifice or something).  go into dwarves and cull all the other symbol groups and prefer the new symbol group.... then see what names the dwarves appear in a new generated world.  If what I think can happen... new races could just have a symbol group that is <race>_NAMES and selected for preference and then you could be very specific in what the race prefers to name their members.  I'll start working on a test SYM.txt.

if I understand http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155984.msg6781449#msg6781449... Its entirely possible to add symbols and do what I was considering doing.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 08:52:12 pm »

New Version up, several changes made.  files are now smaller, slightly. also uploaded my entire dictionary to a separate file that can now be downloaded., split it into groups of 200 entries each, 80 files, for easier editing.. hopefully someone besides me will jump on the editting band wagon and help me cull more trash from the files, correct word spellings, and identify more words to be added to current symbols.

I'm going to try to maintain a changelog from this point forward.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 11:01:43 pm »

Well I could use an editor, its 14900 lines long and spelling is pretty much fixed by hand.

What's the purpose of the _n words? For example:

S_WORD:ARMOUR
S_WORD:ARMOUR_2
S_WORD:ARMOUR_3

T_WORD:ARMOUR:oquobmi
T_WORD:ARMOUR_2:oquobmi
T_WORD:ARMOUR_3:oquobmi

Duplicates should probably be removed. In addition, spelling should be standardized on US Spelling, just like the game is. (I'm Canadian, but the game's creature descriptions are written in US English).

WORD:APPAL
   VERB:appal:appals:appaled:appaled:appaling

This should probably be:

WORD:APPALL
   VERB:appall:appalls:appalled:appalled:appalling

I'm personally happy about the overall decensoring of the languages, but I do find it odd that you would include ANAL but not AREOLA.

Finally, I started going through the human language file alphabetically, cross-referencing with language_words and a dictionary. Random picks that I think should be culled for various reasons. (Too obscure, or not fitting to the setting).

ABATTOIR
ABNEGATE
ABSINTH
ACERBIC
ADIPOSE
ADULTERATE
ADVENTITIOUS
AMELIORATE
AMITY
ANGOSTURA
ANTHRACITE
ANTHROPOMORPHISM
ARRAS
ARRIVISTE
ARTY
ASBESTOS
ASEPSIS
ASSIDUOUS
ATROPINE
AUDIOTAPE
AUDIOVISUAL
AUGEAN
AURICULA
AUSCULTATION
AUTARCHY
AUTARKY
AX
BAA
BAILIWICK
BAIRN
BALLCOCK (not what one might think it is)
BANDBOX
BANDMASTER
BAPTIZE (debatable, but the word is first and foremost a Christian term)
BARIUM (in general, materials not present in-game probably shouldn't be given words in the language raws)
BAT_WEAPOON (as in baseball bats?)
BIDET
BILL_WEAPON (why have a word for a weapon that doesn't exist?)

I'll see about picking up where I left off and finishing the whole file. I probably missed a few in that range that don't seem to fit, but that's what I have so far.

Good work otherwise! (It's worth noting that the forum refused to let me PM or post this until I removed the square brackets from everything).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 12:10:23 pm by Taffer »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 11:47:10 am »

Not everything is duplicate, in the first case you mentioned the language_word file shows:
WORD:ARMOUR
NOUN:armour:armours
VERB:armour:armours:armoured:armoured:armouring
WORD:ARMOUR_2
NOUN:armourer:armourers
WORD:ARMOUR_3
NOUN:armoury:armourys

Basically all 4 words were probably in 1 diction entry to begin with (my script that processes the dictionary file, just chops them up when they have too many nouns in them, they aren't always just duplicates) , because I didn't combine anything below 7 letters in length....
also only the US armor:armors and armory:armories exist so great catch, the correction i made:
<W:ARMOR><N:0111110001:armor:armors><A:110:armored><V:armor:armors:armored:armored:armoring> <S:ARTIFICE:PROTECT><T:DWARF:tosid:ELF:datome:GOBLIN:nuklat:HUMAN:stalcon:ORC:bugburuk:SUCCUB:guxice:KOBOLD:chins:NAGA:una:NECRO:der>
<W:ARMORY><N:0111110001:armory:armories> <S:ARTIFICE:PROTECT><T:DWARF:kumil:ELF:darame:GOBLIN:lumab:HUMAN:namar:ORC:uduut:SUCCUB:gicavice:KOBOLD:ibanins:NAGA:unemi:NECRO:tersan>
<W:ARMOUR><N:0111110001:armorer:armorers><D:MAKER OF ARMS OR ARMOR OFFICIAL IN CHARGE OF ARMS ARMORY ARSENAL> <S:ARTIFICE:PROTECT><T:DWARF:ocigber:ELF:obedi:GOBLIN:testra:HUMAN:oquobmi:ORC:nuurbagrinkhakh:SUCCUB:dirosse:KOBOLD:hantabente:NAGA:szena:NECRO:wsera>

I added the verb armor to armor and kept ARMOUR to hold the word armorer:armorers a person who makes armor or is in charge of an armory.... may deprecate later as I'm considering removing -er words for a suffix entry (its a rear compund adj) of er and ers instead.  that may end up being the solution to seriously reduce file size, I'm already doing it with -ness and -ship words.

fixed apall, didn't notice it was the british one in there.

heh a lot of the words I censored were derogatory words used in racism and sexism.  I was parsing originally a 32,000 entry dictionary, a circa 1990s oxford dictionary.  so basically somewords just slipped through such as anal, anus, and areola (its in there lol) , but I've had both sides weighing in on it.  I'd hate to go full G rated but triple xxx is over the top. I'm working backwards from one dictionary, and forward from the original set in masterwork, which did include some PG-13 words, primarily for certain races such as necromancers and succubus.  I may include them in a separate symbol group (say ADULT_WORDS) so that people that want to cull them from their civ names can.  I'll definitely will make a note of them now though so that if I don't get down to my target count those will be some of the last...

I agree there is many too obscure or not fitting to the setting.
ABATTOIR - Slaughterhouse in french I believe - out
ABNEGATE - I had to look it up, to give up or renounce esp religion doctrine faith or belief - out - who knew this word..
what ABLUTION the word before that, its ceremonial hand washing.
ABSINTH - WORMWOOD ANISEED-FLAVOURED LIQUEUR BASED ON THIS -out - I was tossing all the liquor out of the file anyway missed it.
ACERBIC - HARSH AND SHARP ESP IN SPEECH OR MANNER ACERBITY - never heard it before, rather obscure - out
ADIPOSE - out didn't know the technical term for fatty tissue or of fatty tissue was in there
ADULTERATE - out another technical term about adding things to dilute a substance
ADVENTITIOUS - out obscure
AMELIORATE - obscure
removing AMINE - basically its of or from ammonia lol
AMITY - obscure means of friends, friendship
ANGOSTURA - a flavoring
ANTHRACITE - keeping - HARD TYPE OF COAL BURNING WITH LITTLE FLAME AND SMOKE - its an actual item in game in Masterwork
ANTHROPOMORPHISM - out
ARRAS- HIST RICH TAPESTRY OR WALL-HANGING - hmmm... i didn't know that, out
ARREARS - behind in payment? out
ARRIVISTE - ambitious ruthless person - eh.  I'm going to put that in the wait pile
ARTY -out
ASBESTOS out
ASEPSIS out
ASIATCIC out
ASSIDUOUS out
ASTERICK out - you didn't mention it, but I didn't want language symbols included
what about ASTRINGENT?
ATAXIA - imperfect body control? out
ATALIER - artist workshop? out
ATROPINE out
ARGON - you didn't say it, inert gas element, seems useless as its not an in game thing removed
ARGEY_BARGEY - you din't mention it, but WTF? a rather odd word for DISPUTE WRANGLE
ATTAR - perfume from roses.... out
AUDIOTAPE out - missed it technical word
AUDIOVISUAL out -missed it technical word
AUGEAN - FILTHY... they can say FILTHY lol out
AURICULA - technical flower part term out
AUSCULTATION - technical term for listening to the heart out
AUSSIE- completely missed it out
AUSTRAL - completely missed it out
AUTARCHY - despot - out
AUTARKY - self sufficient economy - out
AX - contained <V:axe:axes:axed:axed:axing> moved to axe then next word. otherwise the entry is out.
BAA - but its the sound of a sheep!  I like that one lol
BAILIFF, BAILIWICK - D:LAW DISTRICT OF A BAILIFF JOC PERSON'S PARTICULAR INTEREST - I was considering the term before of BAILIFF,  we already have so many terms for law officer, and I think I even tossed BAIL and BAIL OUT...  I'll remove both and if anyone begs I'll put them back in.
BAIRN - archaic term for child... there is a lot of terms for children, i can toss this one for now.
BALLCOCK (not what one might think it is)<D:FLOATING BALL ON A HINGED ARM CONTROLLING THE WATER LEVEL IN A CISTERN>(it really isn't what most people think it is) out.
BALLBOY also the word before that, I can retrieve my own balls thank you.
BANDBOX - out missed it, its  hat box lol
BANDMASTER - out missed it also BANDWIDTH,BANDWAGON,BANDAEU what about BANDSMAN and BAND_GROUP?
BAPTIZE (debatable, but the word is first and foremost a Christian term)
BARIUM - right I was looking for these before, there is so many materials that aren't in the game yet, out.  I also need to review ingame materials and verify I have a word for each... but I want the file down to around 12 to 14k entries before I do that.
BAT_WEAPON (as in baseball bats?) - as in baton, stick, etc, lol the game term came about in the 1800s, before that any short stick was a bat, source for the term batter(to beat usu with a weapon) and battery(crime of beating someone usu with a weapon)... I remember identifying it separately as I went through duplicates.  It has a verb form in it to bat:bats:batted:batted:batting lol.... I'll toss that until someone requests its return. also tossing BATS,BATTY for crazy, BATHOS for lapse in mood lols.oh and BATWING (were not playing the latest batman game...)
BIDET but its such an awesome word!
BILL_WEAPON yeah when parsing duplicates, I think there was originally 5 or 6 BILLs so I just added quick identifiers.  <D:HIST WEAPON WITH A HOOKED BLADE> its also above that a bit as BILLHOOK, I don't think either weapon is in the game.  I never got back to them.  I was keeping weapon names because so many mods have additional weapons not in the original.  but your right if they want the word in they can either add it in their mod pack or request its return.

Good work otherwise! (It's worth noting that the forum refused to let me PM or post this until I removed the square brackets from everything).

yeah I noticed that it doesn't like brackets at all... that's why my actual dictionary operates with <> instead so I can post them to the forums and PMs without issue.  I uploaded a file containing the entire dictionary its linked at the bottom of the list above.  Its better to edit it, as you can see how it propagates across all the files in 1 place easier.  The one oddity, my script takes the first lowercase english word as the word for the ENGLISH file... so in the case of ARMOUR above the next version will say T_WORD:ARMOUR:armorer in the language_ENGLISH.txt file, because the first lowercase english word is armorer in that entry line.
thanks for the assistance, and I've made these changes to my files, they will show up in the next version, dictionary now at 15850 entries.  I mentioned a few others you might not of noticed, that I'm still on the fence on.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 12:07:51 pm by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
Pages: [1] 2 3 4