Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Height of dwarves and other main races in feet, please?  (Read 4389 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Height of dwarves and other main races in feet, please?
« on: November 29, 2016, 11:34:50 pm »

Dwarves, elves, and goblins are 60,000 cm to the 3rd power, while humans are 70,000 cm to the 3rd power.
Could somebody please convert these heights to feet?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Height of dwarves and other main races in feet, please?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 12:49:42 am »

Huh.

Firstly: There are many converters like this around on the web.

Secondly, 60000 cm is somehow.... an odd wrongness. That's 600m, or a touch over 656 yards to you Americans. Cubed... well, something 600m to a side, or 600m3 is not what I'd describe as dwarfish, put it that way.

Or am I reading this wrongly. If you're using European decimal points, and dwarves are 60.000cm3....? No. Now it's too small. Humans aren't 70cm (less than a yard) high, they're usually between 1.5 and 2m high, which is 150-200cm, or . Hmm.

I feel compelled to ask, where is this info from? The RAW files somewhere? Am I missing something? Now I'm damn curious too!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 04:12:34 am »

He spelled out "to the 3rd power" instead of writing cm^3 or cm3.

These are volumes, not heights. I think you'd have to ask Toady One just how tall (on average) they are, because I don't think the necessary information exists in the game.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:36:27 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 11:48:17 am »

Oh, they are volumes.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 08:04:34 pm »

And since organic density is roughly same as water, can translate that as humans ~70kg, kobolds 25kg, dwarves, goblins, elves 60kg.

A feet is about 31,2 cm, I guess, so it'd be 1,97555...feet^3 for dwarves and 2,3048...feet^3 for humans. Obviously, humans are not perfect cubes, so they're taller than they're wide. Maybe

It doesn't really model different body part shapes beyond modifying the size of the body. A leg is a leg, it may give more meat if the creature was larger, but it doesn't give you more melee reach (though the weight does make the impacts heavier).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:11:12 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 09:40:40 pm »

A feet is about 31,2 cm, I guess, so it'd be 1,97555...feet^3 for dwarves and 2,3048...feet^3 for humans.
Calculating directly from Google:
2.11888 ft^3 and 2.4720267 ft^3

There exist crayon drawings, but they're probably not to scale: 1, 2, 3, 4
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:02:19 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 05:20:13 am »

I saw someone had made size comparisons on the DF wiki, but I don't know how he made those, or what he used. I think a calculator, where you can put in a humanoid shape, and then put in the volume could work.
To the beer!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 06:09:29 am »

A BMI table can tell you healthy weights for humans of certain heights.

Dwarves, elves, and goblins are all about 60000 cubic centimeters, which means they should be about 60kg.  An average 60kg human is about 165cm or 5 feet 5 inches; a bit slight for an adult humanl but not abnormally so.  I would assume that elves are probably about this size.  Dwarves are presumably shorter and squatter but we don't know how much; the game gives them identical proportions (aside from the dwarven liver, which is 3 times bigger).  Goblins are anyone's guess.

Kobolds are 20kg on average, which is a typical weight for a 6 year old human (or a medium to large sized dog).  With more or less human proportions, that would make them around 3 feet tall.

Let us not forget that while these are average sizes, individuals from any species may vary significantly in both height and weight.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 02:24:43 pm »

A BMI table can tell you healthy weights for humans of certain heights.

Dwarves, elves, and goblins are all about 60000 cubic centimeters, which means they should be about 60kg.  An average 60kg human is about 165cm or 5 feet 5 inches; a bit slight for an adult humanl but not abnormally so.  I would assume that elves are probably about this size.  Dwarves are presumably shorter and squatter but we don't know how much; the game gives them identical proportions (aside from the dwarven liver, which is 3 times bigger).  Goblins are anyone's guess.

Kobolds are 20kg on average, which is a typical weight for a 6 year old human (or a medium to large sized dog).  With more or less human proportions, that would make them around 3 feet tall.

Let us not forget that while these are average sizes, individuals from any species may vary significantly in both height and weight.

Humans can't wear clothes made for elves or dwarves though, they're too small. My guess is that elves are taller but extremely slight, while dwarves are shorter and wider as you say.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 07:51:54 pm »

But can elves wear dwarvish clothing? Or dwarves elven?

(I know that elven clothing used to be displayed as "narrow X", just like how human clothing would be displayed as "large X" or similar. I don't know if this is the case anymore.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 08:19:37 pm »

But can elves wear dwarvish clothing? Or dwarves elven?

(I know that elven clothing used to be displayed as "narrow X", just like how human clothing would be displayed as "large X" or similar. I don't know if this is the case anymore.)
That hasn't been the case for a long time.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 08:39:48 pm »

Humans can't wear clothes made for elves or dwarves though, they're too small. My guess is that elves are taller but extremely slight, while dwarves are shorter and wider as you say.

That seems to be the intention, with Elves and I believe Goblins being tagged as "narrow" back in the day.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 08:45:40 pm »

If dwarves are anything like standard RPG dwarves, they're quite dense.  This isn't really a safe assumption, though, as they seem to have little difficulty swimming in at least up to 6/7 water, which is a whole z level.  So I would imagine humans --> elves --> dwarves in terms of height, although elves would be somewhat taller and more willowy while dwarves would be somewhat more compact, albeit more burly.

The fact that we know how tall humans are, to some approximate degree, and that they are 70,000 cm^3 and elves and dwarves both 60,000 cm^3 would at least somewhat constrain their possible heights.

I'll note on the few occasions I've seen elves specifically mention dwarf physiology, they describe them with language like "your stunted kind," which seems to indicate they are taller than dwarves (in addition to being smellier and dumber and more pointlessly rude).

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 05:42:56 am »

Clothing in general makes no sense right now, as it is simply based on the average volumr of the species rather than the size, let alone proportions, of an individual.  Children wear the same clothes as adults, and a large elf may be bigger than a small human but still will consider their clothes "large".  So I wouldn't use clothing as any kind of evidence.

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 05:36:14 pm »

Maybe clothing is an indicator of how their bodies are shaped?
To the beer!
Pages: [1] 2