Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Simcity 4: MULTIPLAYER! Same Dropbox, New Regions!  (Read 15835 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Simcity 4: MULTIPLAYER! Same Dropbox, New Regions!
« on: November 30, 2016, 12:45:52 am »

Welcome to the Archipelago!

Archipelago as of January 9th 2017

Spoiler: Original Image (click to show/hide)

Your soundtrack for this post.

This a multiplayer region for us to play some Simcity 4.
I got the idea from an old post on sc4devotion forums, which is AFAIK the only time it's really been done. Quite simply, an in-game region of cities is composed of individual city files. It's possible to sync all of these files by Dropbox while playing simultaneously. It's an ad-hoc multiplayer that's effectively play-by-mail, only it mails every time you save.

Why Simcity 4 Multiplayer?
In Sim City 4, your city is part of a region, which can contain many cities, all player-made. In fact, before your city can have the biggest and best skyscrapers, you must meet hidden quotas for workers for the entire region, which are basically impossible to reach with just one city. For example, you need something like 30,000 middle-class commercial workers before you can have a middle-class commercial skyscraper. In other words, to build the biggest city possible, you have to build several cities, which I found dull doing on my own. Cities in the region will affect the demand for jobs, workers, and goods in other cities. You can also interact more directly with the cities adjacent to you by sharing power, water, commuters, and garbage services.

In addition, it will be fun to see everyone's creations come together to make one big, populated region.

To get started, you'll need to get Dropbox, get Sim City 4 with the Rush Hour Expansion (or Deluxe Edition) and go through a few short steps to set it up. Then, read the rules I've set up to make this game work.

Spoiler: Getting Dropbox (click to show/hide)

Once you've done all that, you should be ready to play. If you need help, contact me on Steam or Discord, which is a voice chat room I hang out in. The Discord now has a dedicated text channel for Simcity 4, so feel free to use it! There are links to my Steam account and the Bay 12 Discord in my signature. However, I'd like you to follow some rules so things go smoothly, and I have some advice on playing as well.

Spoiler: Rules- Read 'em! (click to show/hide)

With all that out of the way, here's the current state of the server. I assume you already know how to play Sim City 4. If you don't, the brief tutorial does a decent job of explaining the basics and you can find guides online for the complicated crap, like demand caps. When you start off, you're going to want to edit the terrain in God Mode a bit. Remember, you can't use most God Mode tools after you go into Mayor Mode and found your city. I'm using a custom region I found STEX called the Archipelago, and you'll notice most of the beaches terminate in cliffs rather than nice sandy slopes, so have a quick go with the Smooth tool or you're going to have a hell of a time placing a port later. I already manually did a lot of them though. You can also feel free to add a little land for yourself or even make a new island if you're in an open sea tile, I won't judge. Just try to reconcile edges (either in your own city or in UNOCCUPIED adjacent city tiles) so the map looks nice.

If we want to make the biggest cities, then our focus will be mainly, I think, on having a high number of people employed in every different type of commercial building (there's five I think, $, $$, and $$$ retail as well as $$ and $$$ offices. Then there's needs for residents at all wealth levels too. So basically, go nuts, and try to have lots of well-educated commercial employees. You might want to make a crappy, polluted city to take garbage and give power to your main city too.

Oh yeah, I guess I should mention that I have a few mods. It's possible that I'll add to this mod list, but finding some mods for Sim City 4 can be hard now, I was looking at recommendations and there were a lot of dead links. Currently the biggest mod I'm using is NAM, Network Addon Mod, which adds a ton of road options including modular highways which can be various numbers of lanes, angled road tiles at different angles, roundabouts, and more. Besides that I'm using two bugfix mods: One makes it so that I-HT buildings create more jobs for high-wealth sims (they lost a lot due to a rounding error) and another prevents Opera Houses from ruining your educational system- apparently they're supposed to provide extra education to a limited number of people, but if there are too many qualifying attendees then it counts as an overcrowded school. All your sims will flunk out of highschool because they couldn't get an opera ticket, apparently. The last mod I have installed changes the look of the day/night cycle. Note that you can set a fixed day/night, the day/night cycle is only a visual effect in Sim City 4, it doesn't even affect solar panels.

Lastly, I've marked what's probably the best city tile as "shared". I was thinking maybe we could take turns on that succession game style, where each person plays it for a day or 1-2 hours of gameplay, whichever comes first, and hands it off, but I'll have to think about how to do that exactly.

So, go ahead and PM me or post here to get in. To add you I need the email address you used to sign up for Dropbox, and you should only PM that. If you post your email publicly, the spambots will come for your soul with their terrifying discount kitchens.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:46:52 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simcity 4: MULTIPLAYER! The Bay 12 Archipelago
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 12:46:10 am »

Reserved.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:25:04 am »

This sounds pretty interesting. Can we have a look at the map with visible tiles?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 11:53:24 am »

I've added you on Dropbox. Here is what it looks like right now, with tiles:

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 03:43:18 pm »

Damn, this makes me extra sad that the game refuses to install on this new computer :(
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 05:05:45 pm »

The game runs well on my 64-bit Win7 machine. I'm using a digital copy though. I did some brief reading and I guess the Safedisk anti-piracy causes issues on win8 and later, but there are workarounds. You might also try installing it outside of the default /Program Files(x86)/ directory, EG in C:\games\ or something. If you're persistent, I bet you can get it to work.

If you're feeling less persistent, then you can probably wait until the next time it's on sale on Steam. The default price of $20 is probably way too much, but it gets to less than $5 during sales which is well worth it. I haven't heard of anybody having trouble running the up-to-date digital copy.

Edit: Oh yeah, I got started on the Mountainhome, I built it up with farms enough to get the Farmers Market and just started switching over to industry. It's ready for someone else to take a turn for a couple years- I propose we just do it first come, first serve, but post on the forum before you start playing.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:07:26 pm by Sensei »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 09:54:05 pm »

Minor update: It looks like I do in fact need an email address to add people to dropbox. I thought I could use the name you signed up as, but it turns out that only works if I have already added you to my Dropbox contacts (which is, again, done using the email address). Sorry for any confusion.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 12:05:36 am »

Just put two cities on the map. Teardrop atoll is ready to be connected to a road and power supply; there's not much else I can put there. On the other hand, Smogton is primed to grow further, I just didn't bother to play further. I'd love to link up with Metropolis via rail and possibly highway, but they're not directly adjacent so somebody else would have to help connect them.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 12:25:08 am »

I am so god damned in.

Just have to make sure I still have a copy.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 12:27:55 am »

Sleepy Atoll has seemingly hit its peak at 33,000 residents. It's chock-full of mostly medium-density buildings and looks like one big gray blob on the map now. The Mountainhome is primed for whoever wants to advance it next. You can also see Mini's Island Home, it looks like he's been having trouble fitting in buildings as the island is much steeper than it looks at first glance.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 12:41:13 am »

I manage, mostly due to liberal application of single tile streets.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 10:44:25 am »

Does anybody know if it's possible to revoke edit permission to a single file within a shared folder on Dropbox? Everybody keeps overwriting the game's settings file pretty much whenever they start the game, which if nothing else generates a lot of unnecessary dropbox notifications. If can't do that then maybe at some point I'll change everyone's permission to read-only and then separately add edit permission for the region folder itself.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 10:59:48 am »

Doesn't seem to be a way to do it for a single file through dropbox, maybe try setting the file to readonly via windows, so Simcity can't edit it in the first place?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 12:04:03 pm »

Also, since saving a game also writes to all the neighbors, we should use discord to make sure two neighbors don't play at the same time.

That means me and Mini, at the moment.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 12:20:26 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5