Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Comic Strip Story: Assets Needed.  (Read 605 times)

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Comic Strip Story: Assets Needed.
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:26:09 pm »

OK, I have finally learned how to play this game and, as a writer inspired by Boatmurdered and such, want to have some fun.

I want to make a fictional fort, not an actual game, but rather, something directed by me.  As a result, I need some help with assets. 

It would be helpful if anyone took screenshots of rooms for me.  Designed however you want, like the ideal tomb or workshop.  I can mix and match the rooms I get from others to make a fake fortress where the story takes place.

I would like to use the phoebus tileset and please dont have any dwarfs in the room during the shot. 

This way I dont have to wrestle with random events to getting everything the way I want.  Anyone who helps can be made a character if they want.

Also helpful is random stories you have experienced and thought were funny, artifacts and so on.

Questions? Comments?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Comic Strip Story: Assets Needed.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 11:10:01 am »

interesting
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:33:26 am »

This is interesting in a way that you as a writer want some sort of procedural set piece (created by others), but in a blank canvas way for you to inject your story. 

It is specially helpful that the medium (DF and Phoebus tileset) established a common lore of sort from you as the creative story teller, and the players building and designing rooms. 

One thing I would suggest is to read up on some of the succession fortress.  Some are in ascii, some are in pheobus--but you can change tile set for save games anyway.  So, you can download the current save or prior saves and load it to your computer, and create a burrow to move all dwarfs out of the way.  By doing so, you have an established fortress built by many players that can serve as your asset. 

You can also hide objects and furnitures and clutter via d-b-h.

I've participated in succession forts and use Phoebus, so perhaps my posts can help you find exactly what you can use?

Breadbowl

Bloodyhells

Agerelics

Deathgame

Sneaktunnels

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:35:11 am by Sanctume »

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 01:02:21 pm »

thanks, this will be helpful. 

Ive got all the sprite assets, thats easy, its just rooms and such that I need to look for.

Also, at some point I may need help identifying monster sprites.  lol

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 01:14:55 pm »

Check Meph's tileset as he has been adding many more sprites, and are 32x32 instead of the usual 16x16. 

There are also cleaner looking floor tileset that may work well for comic strip background, such as Gem Set, Dungeon Set, and Obsidian.

The tileset and graphics board should let you preview what the tilesets look like.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 03:01:48 pm »

Neato, I think I prefer the middle ground between high res tilesets and vanilla.  But these are still helpful.