Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Roguelegends: Dark Realms Alpha release (roguelike with procedural everything)  (Read 19087 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW

so other than procedural generation, what are the main unique selling points of the game?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

PTW

so other than procedural generation, what are the main unique selling points of the game?

Its a tactical dark fantasy themed boardgameish roguelike game.Combat is deterministic, AI that helps generate creatures can set a pace, it experiments with exposition in the case of procedural generation ( SO you can find hints about the creatures it generated from looking around and examining things in the world) You can basically use everything as a weapon (through throwing), theres alot of experimental stuff here anyway. All the items and creatures are procedurally generated too, and each section has its own set of items and monsters to choose from, and each section is 4 levels deep) so if you find a generated item or monster in a section, you can find more of it, and the stats will be the same. Each dungeon ha sits own set of procedural vermin, so they will vary from game to game. It has rare items. I will have a tacticla magic system taht lets you create spells from ruins, the AI is all very tactical in nature, I have monster in-fighting for specific AI's and AI's that modify the environment (digging lairs and such).  SO you can do cool things like kiting a monster into the territory of a territorial monster and get them killed that way, Theres alot here anyway.

BTW
I have sound support now!

https://untrustedlife.com/2017/02/19/what-have-i-been-up-to-7/
^ Blog post with lots of info on lots of things

https://soundcloud.com/untrustedlife/dungeon-delving-track-for-rldr
New Song That will play when delving!
Modify message
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*sees title*
"Well, I'm going to bet on it being somewhere between Nethack and DF's adventure mode, but with random EVERYTHING.
*looks at screenshots*
"I was kinda right ... now how do we get Toady to hurry up and implement this stuff already?" (Magic, etc.)(I realise he's working hard. The above statement was a joke. Chill.)

Seriously, though. This game looks good. I'm working on somethig similar in my spare time, though it all runs within command prompt. (Batch, vbs, powershell)
Off defending the fortress from dragons with a tank, I'm sure.
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm working on somethig similar in my spare time, though it all runs within command prompt. (Batch, vbs, powershell)
Now that's interesting...
How do you tie it all up? Do you have a DB anywhere in there?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Btw, the other games forum will get you more eyeballs.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

zirconst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is cool, and it looks good. Here's a question though... what is the design reasoning behind hunger & thirst for this game? This is an honest question and not straight up criticism. Maybe you could do with one and not the other? I've found that as designers it can be easy to add features/stats etc and before you know it you have a lot of stuff for the player to track. A hunger clock to encourage speedier progress, exploration, and no dilly-dallying is nice, but if it were me, maybe no thirst?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is cool, and it looks good. Here's a question though... what is the design reasoning behind hunger & thirst for this game? This is an honest question and not straight up criticism. Maybe you could do with one and not the other? I've found that as designers it can be easy to add features/stats etc and before you know it you have a lot of stuff for the player to track. A hunger clock to encourage speedier progress, exploration, and no dilly-dallying is nice, but if it were me, maybe no thirst?

Agreed. There's not much point in having them unless you have mechanics tied to them. That being said, in my opinion DCSS went a bit too far in it's streamlining and became shallower for that, so don't scrub out everything that isn't optimal play.

Firstly though, this is pretty much unplayable on my monitor as the screen size is so big - it cuts off half the message window. I'd reduce the map window quite a bit if you can. I'd also really concentrate on getting auto-explore on ASAP - it's a kinda needed function these days, especially if you're getting the player to do a lot of walking (like currently).

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

Agreed. There's not much point in having them unless you have mechanics tied to them. That being said, in my opinion DCSS went a bit too far in it's streamlining and became shallower for that, so don't scrub out everything that isn't optimal play.

Firstly though, this is pretty much unplayable on my monitor as the screen size is so big - it cuts off half the message window. I'd reduce the map window quite a bit if you can. I'd also really concentrate on getting auto-explore on ASAP - it's a kinda needed function these days, especially if you're getting the player to do a lot of walking (like currently).

The point is, in fact to enourage faster progress, and the water/food dichotomy makes potions useful for more then just throwing things at enemies, and in the next version I have refined the exploration/stuff/food alot more, so I think you guys will appreciate it, smaller screensizes are in fact planned! aswell you can also press f1 for full screen mode. (even in the released version) also, it remembers where stairs are and other quality of life features. I should probably do a blog post on it but I am a college student so my time is limited right now.
I am an indie game dev!

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile

This seems interesting. I will have to keep watching this.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

This seems interesting. I will have to keep watching this.

Thank you!
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

New blog post on my website about RLDR/My stellaris addiction/the reasons i've been so quiet.

https://untrustedlife.com/2017/04/04/what-have-i-been-up-to-month-long-disappearance-edition/
I am an indie game dev!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Yeah, if stellaris is an issue, you should develop a system for managing it. For example, "I will write 100 lines of Legends code in exchange for 30 minutes of stellaris." If you like.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

Thats a good idea. I really need to start scheduling myself that way. Its just hard and stressful.
I am an indie game dev!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Sounds like it might have given you ideas for game design though?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile

Anything new this past month?
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5