Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Roguelegends: Dark Realms Alpha release (roguelike with procedural everything)  (Read 19088 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

New version of RLDR RELEASED! After two years!
https://t.co/wPnnihN4p4
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
I am an indie game dev!

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile

I’ll have to give this a try once I get less busy.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

Another new version! Majority of crashes fixed and added new features and tweaks!
https://untrustedlife.com/2018/08/02/released-roguelegends-dark-realms-version-0-1-82/
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

New version released!
https://untrustedlife.com/2018/08/06/version-0-1-84-of-roguelegends-dark-realms-released/
I added more special rooms, fixed librarians (finally), and many other things, more lore etc.
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
I am an indie game dev!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

So I decided to give this a whirl...

Round 1: First thing I did was attempted to Consume my Rusty Sword, with predictable results.  Okay, now to play for real.

Round 2: Rolled up some kind of cultist blood mage trying to find an artifact to find a legendary holy artifact, and wandered around killing some Derts, which are fishy-smelling winged insects with dwarf faces and clouds of "bright green misery", and extracting their blood.  Apparently I have blood spells?  I didn't actually manage to cast any of them before getting killed by a Thrix, a 4-antennaed lumpy marsupials with a fiery glow, eyes that look like an uncaring void, and a paralyzing touch.

Round 3: Now I'm a librarian with a fedora and a rusty rapier looking for a rare book.  Wandered around and chanced upon a Sword of Rare Sparks, which I can't identify but it seems to be pretty good at killing things so why not.  I also found a The Ether Cloak (grammar bug there) which sounds cool so I equipped that as well.  I'm going to put on something cursed if this keeps up, won't I?  Found a babyish(?) human skull and a healing potion, which I notice has both "Quaff" and "Consume" options (I'm assuming that "Consume" would make me shove the whole bottle into my mouth and die, right?)  I keep running into dead D'ormas, three-armed glowing creatures.  Judging by the noise, they keep getting into fights with P'ocs, bleeding dimetrodons with thirty wings and dwarf faces.  I guess the P'ocs are winning.  I notice a lot of the living (or undead) P'ocs are "stumbling about" aimlessly which makes them easy to kill... odd.  I notice I can still extract blood, even though I'm not a blood mage, I guess blood is just a standard resource in this game.  Whoops, ran into a whole hallway full of zombies and decided to try out my Crushing Punch rune, which costs 1 hunger, but it seems that every time I try to cast it the game says "click on a target" and immediately says "You decide against it".  Bug?  Or am I not understanding how to use runes?  Well, the zombies killed me.

Round 4: Now I'm a washed-up bard with a Fire Flute and a Poison Flute.  Dual wielding flutes seems like an interesting strategy, let's try this out.  Oh, looks like my bard can't look at the undead without freaking out and taking "composure damage".  This bodes well since I just ran into a whole zombie squad.  Welp, I'm dead.

Round 5: Blood mage cultist again.  Soon I find a "Poisonous Imbued Armor of Evilness".  Well, that sounds pleasant.  I put it on because it sounds better than trying to dungeon delve in acolyte robes.  No ill effects, so I guess that's good.  Didn't last long though.

Round 6: Another bard.  Are there just a handful of generated characters per world that are chosen from at random?  Trying to use my Song of Fire and Song of Poison has the same "You decide against it" thing.  Dead.

Round 7: I'm an assassin now, aiming to assassinate the demon.  Well, that's straightforward.  This one's also afraid of zombies, which seems a rather poor trait for delving into a zombie-filled dungeon.  Oh, I finally figured out how to cast runes!  I have to click on the menu option - I've been using the keyboard to select menu options this whole time.  It should still be fixed though.  I also tried eating monster corpses (I was afraid to do so until now because I thought it might interpret that as "shove the entire monster into your mouth and choke", but apparently that's how you're supposed to eat them).  I found a fountain but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it.  Extracting blood from corpses also causes composure damage due to being "disgusted at my own actions".  Okay, that was acceptable for a bard, but what kind of wussy assassin faints at the sight of blood?  I find a cut up skeleton and an elf skull (with a description saying just "the deadness".  Seems like a bug.)  Oh, and a note!  Seems dead elfy was brought here by inquisitors, who mistook him for a cultist and locked away to die.  It says the king has gone mad and must be stopped.  The plot thickens... Oh, I also found an emaciated corpse.  Which I ate (and predictably took composure damage).  In another room, I find a skeleton that has been chewed on by a Leeching Creep-ee, which is a creature I have not yet encountered.  I throw it at a nearby enemy (throwing has the same issue as runes, only mouse controls work).  Oh, a staircase!  Time to go to level 2!  Oh, eerie chanting!  Oh, a cultist!  Oh, another staircase!  Aaand killed by a horde of skeletal Thrix.

I'll check it out more later.  For now, though, a few notes:

1. Screen size is a pain.  The default size is way too small and when fullscreen parts of the screen are hidden so I can't see the latest line of text.  Might just by my screen resolution but I can't figure out how to fix it, so I was forced to play with the small size.

2. I get the "procedurally generated everything" but being unable to choose anything about my character, even to select from a handful of procedurally generated options, is kind of annoying.  I'd like a bit more control over who I get to play as.

That being said, this is a cool game for anyone who likes old-school roguelikes.  The idea of an expanding, procedurally-generated plot that is revealed as you progress is quite cool, if that's indeed what happens (I didn't get far enough to tell).

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

So I decided to give this a whirl...

Round 1: First thing I did was attempted to Consume my Rusty Sword, with predictable results.  Okay, now to play for real.

Round 2: Rolled up some kind of cultist blood mage trying to find an artifact to find a legendary holy artifact, and wandered around killing some Derts, which are fishy-smelling winged insects with dwarf faces and clouds of "bright green misery", and extracting their blood.  Apparently I have blood spells?  I didn't actually manage to cast any of them before getting killed by a Thrix, a 4-antennaed lumpy marsupials with a fiery glow, eyes that look like an uncaring void, and a paralyzing touch.

Round 3: Now I'm a librarian with a fedora and a rusty rapier looking for a rare book.  Wandered around and chanced upon a Sword of Rare Sparks, which I can't identify but it seems to be pretty good at killing things so why not.  I also found a The Ether Cloak (grammar bug there) which sounds cool so I equipped that as well.  I'm going to put on something cursed if this keeps up, won't I?  Found a babyish(?) human skull and a healing potion, which I notice has both "Quaff" and "Consume" options (I'm assuming that "Consume" would make me shove the whole bottle into my mouth and die, right?)  I keep running into dead D'ormas, three-armed glowing creatures.  Judging by the noise, they keep getting into fights with P'ocs, bleeding dimetrodons with thirty wings and dwarf faces.  I guess the P'ocs are winning.  I notice a lot of the living (or undead) P'ocs are "stumbling about" aimlessly which makes them easy to kill... odd.  I notice I can still extract blood, even though I'm not a blood mage, I guess blood is just a standard resource in this game.  Whoops, ran into a whole hallway full of zombies and decided to try out my Crushing Punch rune, which costs 1 hunger, but it seems that every time I try to cast it the game says "click on a target" and immediately says "You decide against it".  Bug?  Or am I not understanding how to use runes?  Well, the zombies killed me.

Round 4: Now I'm a washed-up bard with a Fire Flute and a Poison Flute.  Dual wielding flutes seems like an interesting strategy, let's try this out.  Oh, looks like my bard can't look at the undead without freaking out and taking "composure damage".  This bodes well since I just ran into a whole zombie squad.  Welp, I'm dead.

Round 5: Blood mage cultist again.  Soon I find a "Poisonous Imbued Armor of Evilness".  Well, that sounds pleasant.  I put it on because it sounds better than trying to dungeon delve in acolyte robes.  No ill effects, so I guess that's good.  Didn't last long though.

Round 6: Another bard.  Are there just a handful of generated characters per world that are chosen from at random?  Trying to use my Song of Fire and Song of Poison has the same "You decide against it" thing.  Dead.

Round 7: I'm an assassin now, aiming to assassinate the demon.  Well, that's straightforward.  This one's also afraid of zombies, which seems a rather poor trait for delving into a zombie-filled dungeon.  Oh, I finally figured out how to cast runes!  I have to click on the menu option - I've been using the keyboard to select menu options this whole time.  It should still be fixed though.  I also tried eating monster corpses (I was afraid to do so until now because I thought it might interpret that as "shove the entire monster into your mouth and choke", but apparently that's how you're supposed to eat them).  I found a fountain but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it.  Extracting blood from corpses also causes composure damage due to being "disgusted at my own actions".  Okay, that was acceptable for a bard, but what kind of wussy assassin faints at the sight of blood?  I find a cut up skeleton and an elf skull (with a description saying just "the deadness".  Seems like a bug.)  Oh, and a note!  Seems dead elfy was brought here by inquisitors, who mistook him for a cultist and locked away to die.  It says the king has gone mad and must be stopped.  The plot thickens... Oh, I also found an emaciated corpse.  Which I ate (and predictably took composure damage).  In another room, I find a skeleton that has been chewed on by a Leeching Creep-ee, which is a creature I have not yet encountered.  I throw it at a nearby enemy (throwing has the same issue as runes, only mouse controls work).  Oh, a staircase!  Time to go to level 2!  Oh, eerie chanting!  Oh, a cultist!  Oh, another staircase!  Aaand killed by a horde of skeletal Thrix.

I'll check it out more later.  For now, though, a few notes:

1. Screen size is a pain.  The default size is way too small and when fullscreen parts of the screen are hidden so I can't see the latest line of text.  Might just by my screen resolution but I can't figure out how to fix it, so I was forced to play with the small size.

2. I get the "procedurally generated everything" but being unable to choose anything about my character, even to select from a handful of procedurally generated options, is kind of annoying.  I'd like a bit more control over who I get to play as.

That being said, this is a cool game for anyone who likes old-school roguelikes.  The idea of an expanding, procedurally-generated plot that is revealed as you progress is quite cool, if that's indeed what happens (I didn't get far enough to tell).
Thank you for trying it out!

First off, To cast spells when you click the spell in the rune menu you have to click a target to cast it, so that probabbly why it keeps telling you that you "decide against it" because you keep trying to use your keyboard when you are supposed to use your mouse or you are trying to use you rmouse when you are supposed to us eyour keyboard, it tells you at the bottom of the screen what to do, if you want to use keyboard press x before pressing the arrow keys while casting your spell.If you select the spell with your keyboard then you can use arrow keys, (or press x to switch to click), its the same for throwing, though i havent had problems with throwing (I mainly use my mouse, i must have broke keyboard throwing while i was at it maybe, ill look into it and ill push out a hotfix tonight if i need to) .

To drink from the fountain open up your Interact menu by either clicking the interact button or pressing 'o' or shift+I. (it should say this in the help menu). This will also allow you to inspect skulls for things and yep, the expanding plot is exactly what i was going for. Thanks for trying it out!

EDIT:
I tested and confirmed the issue you were having with throwing and spells, the issue is when you try to cast from your inventory instead of your rune bag, and i only used the mouse for throwing so i didn't see that the same issue happened with throwing, ill push out a fix tonight after work!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:51:40 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

Okay pushed out hotdix for throwing bug, devlog later. Same download
I am an indie game dev!