Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possibility of making a race of creatures with one caste?  (Read 827 times)

Zerim

• Bay Watcher
  • One man's past is another man's weapon
    • View Profile
Possibility of making a race of creatures with one caste?
« on: November 30, 2016, 11:04:27 pm »

Is it possible to make a race of creatures, sapient or otherwise, with only one caste or gender? Say I want to make a race of humanoids that are all male but reproduce by mating with other creatures, or at least something along those lines. I'm sure there's some hacky way to make it happen, yes?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 04:07:22 pm by Zerim »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Possibility of making a race of creatures with one caste?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 11:13:54 am »

If they have no MAXAGE then they won't ever die from age so they could potentially keep living with only one caste. As for the other mechanic you mentioned, you'd technically need to add another caste. You can do it with the spouse conversion tokens used for night creatures. If you do this then you can add whatever MAXAGE you want.
   [CASTE:MALE]
      [SPOUSE_CONVERTER]
      [POP_RATIO:90]
      [MALE]
   [CASTE:FEMALE]
      [CONVERTED_SPOUSE]
      [POP_RATIO:0]
      [FEMALE]
I've tried making a civilization using a similar mechanic, but I did leave the female caste with a 10% pop ratio so they'd still show up in fortress mode, but they had way too high a population for that to be the only source.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Zerim

• Bay Watcher
  • One man's past is another man's weapon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 01:08:34 pm »

I appreciate the reply! It actually makes a good amount of sense for what I'm doing, much appreciated.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 06:38:29 am »

If they have no MAXAGE then they won't ever die from age so they could potentially keep living with only one caste. As for the other mechanic you mentioned, you'd technically need to add another caste. You can do it with the spouse conversion tokens used for night creatures. If you do this then you can add whatever MAXAGE you want.
[CASTE:MALE]
[SPOUSE_CONVERTER]
[POP_RATIO:90]
[MALE]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[CONVERTED_SPOUSE]
[POP_RATIO:0]
[FEMALE]
I've tried making a civilization using a similar mechanic, but I did leave the female caste with a 10% pop ratio so they'd still show up in fortress mode, but they had way too high a population for that to be the only source.

I'm pretty sure that this will make females more common than males--unless something's changed, POP_RATIO:0 is invalid and defaults to POP_RATIO:100.