Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Istrolid: An RTS game where you can design your ships.  (Read 4502 times)

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Istrolid: An RTS game where you can design your ships.
« on: December 01, 2016, 09:36:41 am »

Download: http://store.steampowered.com/app/449140/

OR play at your browser, without downloading: http://www.istrolid.com/game.html

Discord link for this game: https://discord.gg/yXWbjXu

Istrolid is a game where you design your own spaceships and then use it on your fleet. Currently free, this game has hooked me up with it's multiplayer; However, you can also play the singleplayer Campaign(and i recommend newer players to do so, since the multiplayer could be difficult for new players).

-Despite there is a paid DLC for this game, it is just for comestics.

Details will be added when someone asks me to, and/or as time passes on.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:25:25 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Istroid: Where you fight spaceships in a (starting with simple) 2D place.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 01:20:58 pm »

Ah... thread title. You missed an L. Istrolid.

... also, there's apparently a bunch of junk using istroid in one way or another, heh. Was terribly confused for a moment of three :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 12:49:21 am »

I did a simple but a very bad mistake.

Added link.
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Coffeespoons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 04:26:14 pm »

So this is quite fun.  Nearly finished the campaign and considering diving into the multi-player.  It seems that the MP is very meta-centric though for understandable reasons.

Saktoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 08:19:03 am »

It seems that the MP is very meta-centric though for understandable reasons.
In a game with such a huge design space there are obviously many more ways to make a bad ship than there are to make a good one, but there are still a huge number of possible designs and variations, people are still innovating and coming up with totally new fleets all of the time.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Istroid: Where you design and fight ships in a 2D place.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 10:55:29 am »

Added Discord Link. This post also serves as a bump.
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Istrolid: Where you design and fight ships in a 2D place.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 02:27:12 am »

Bump.
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Istrolid: An RTS game where you can design your ships in a 2D place
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 03:14:10 am »

It might be against the rules to post bumps thrice, but i can't make people post here.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:29:33 am by H4zardZ1 »
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: Istrolid: An RTS game where you can design your ships.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 01:01:54 pm »

My love for incredibly gimmicky things and way too big ships will kill me killed me many times already.
Is it at least semi-viable tactic vs bot, to make one 1000 $ ship, which is just line of reactors and ship generators(probably moving slightly), and one 1000$ ship that is nothing but weapons and point-defence cannons(also moving slightly), then make swarms of cheap fighters?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 01:04:15 pm by MCreeper »

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 07:26:52 pm »

My love for incredibly gimmicky things and way too big ships will kill me killed me many times already.
Is it at least semi-viable tactic vs bot, to make one 1000 $ ship, which is just line of reactors and ship generators(probably moving slightly), and one 1000$ ship that is nothing but weapons and point-defence cannons(also moving slightly), then make swarms of cheap fighters?

This is the strategy of one of my AIs(Named Hammerhead, for the platform), except that the platform(weapon-filled ship) is well-armored, the swarms are cloaked and the generator (carrier) costs 500(but there are usually two of them). It didn't fight well on it's own(or so i think), but when pitted with my usually long-ranged AIs(Curtain-Darkcubes combo) in 3v3, suddenly the cloaked swarm becomes a huge problem.
There was also a ring cloaked ship on the AI that tries to counter anything worth more than 500, but that ship AI is unable to discern health. Sometimes it successed at killing ships that it intended to counter (kiters/cruisers), sometimes it attacks battleships instead.
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 08:12:51 am »

This game has surprisingly addicted me with it's concept. It's just flexible enough that you'll spend hours tweaking a design, or a ship's AI, so that it's as optimized as possible.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 05:33:11 am »

Below is a list of factions who are recruiting people. These are all Discord links.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:49:29 am by H4zardZ1 »
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Respir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 12:09:58 am »

Below is a list of factions who are recruiting people. These are all Discord links.

TKKA is a normal clan, just like what other normal clans do
CNCR is where I'm also in
ELYS is a 3v3 teamwork based clan, with kiters as their specialty
SPQR this is the gay version of the roman clan

With 933 hours and counting with this game, this game has never failed me.

Some tips in the game:

It is recommended to do play campaign before playing multiplayer. Campaign will teach you the basics of the game.

If you need any help, it is best to consult the Discord.

If you're frustrated with the 1000$ ship cap, this is the main developer's article to show you why it's only up to 1000$: https://medium.com/@treeform/why-there-is-a-1000-cap-da28de02e186#.gylrsyhd8

Best not to look at too many youtubers playing istrolid. Not to offend, but they know less on the game. But there are two recommended channels to look at.

GoddeOfSpring - A veteran who has contributed much, you can learn alot of things from him.
Oscar Evans - A developer in Istrolid, his IGN is Saktoth.

Hoped these things helped you.
Meme MachineBOT - Last Sunday at 9:11 PM
According to WebMD
how r u even alive lmao...

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 01:43:05 am »

Oh God I don't know what I'm doing.

My go-to strategy has been to spam basically the huge fat heavy ship that the game gives you like 4 missions from the start and then spam the rest of my cash's worth in the fighters the game gives you like 3 missions from the start.  Every design I've come up with myself has more or less been totally worthless except for MAYBE the fighter with a minigun and a PD, which was only really ACTUALLY useful for one mission specifically in conjunction with the other standard fighters.

Now I've run into battles in the campaign that I can't just pound through with cheap, massed light beam alpha-strikes and goofy fighter micro, and basically just stopped dead in the water.  RIP.

Are there build tips anywhere?  What weapons are good.  Are shields a trap?  They seem like they might be.  How do I build things between 'expendable fighter that dies in one hit but costs 100 bucks and can kill things instantly via sheer weight of numbers' and '1000 hp armorbrick that costs $900, can sit and cap points, but moves a pixel a second'?

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 09:38:58 am »

Oh God I don't know what I'm doing.

My go-to strategy has been to spam basically the huge fat heavy ship that the game gives you like 4 missions from the start and then spam the rest of my cash's worth in the fighters the game gives you like 3 missions from the start.  Every design I've come up with myself has more or less been totally worthless except for MAYBE the fighter with a minigun and a PD, which was only really ACTUALLY useful for one mission specifically in conjunction with the other standard fighters.

Now I've run into battles in the campaign that I can't just pound through with cheap, massed light beam alpha-strikes and goofy fighter micro, and basically just stopped dead in the water.  RIP.

Are there build tips anywhere?  What weapons are good.  Are shields a trap?  They seem like they might be.  How do I build things between 'expendable fighter that dies in one hit but costs 100 bucks and can kill things instantly via sheer weight of numbers' and '1000 hp armorbrick that costs $900, can sit and cap points, but moves a pixel a second'?

If you're building a fighter that costs more then 50, you're doing it wrong. Using the cheapest thruster, a 1x1 battery, and a light beam mini-turret, you should be able to have it be around 30 credits. Missiles are supposedly a good meta, but don't focus too much on it, as point defense can ruin an all-missile attack. Beam is way too energy expensive, excluding light beams, and artillery is decent, albeit don't base around it.

Shields are good, but not for anything past bigger ships. You should make a 'energy' ship that'll use energy transfer to feed your fighters, so that you don't need to power every fighter.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.