Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [DF STREAMS] [Obsolete, see OP] Streaming Nightmare Fort  (Read 1344 times)

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
[DF STREAMS] [Obsolete, see OP] Streaming Nightmare Fort
« on: December 01, 2016, 02:55:12 pm »

EDIT 1:

Thank you to all who came to follow me and watch the stream tonight! I think I'm going to let this post die a slow, natural death on its own. Deathkey is up and running, for now, fueled by the... mysterious events that transpired with 2, likely 4 dwarves loosing their lives.

I will likely post an update before the next stream, inviting others to come and watch our slow decay into disrepair and madness, but for those of you who want to plan ahead, we're picking up where we left off next week at 5:00 PM EST, when we will determine the fate of the Pretentious Tools together! We may also stream one or two things before then; you can check out my Twitch channel for updates for any such impromptu stuff when I figure I've got the time to spare.

What I'll do is make a second topic for my DF streams here, and just update it with information as stuff happens. I also talked to the forum moderators about the 'polite, community appropriate' way to create a stream update thread without being a self-aggrandizing moron, and the response seems to be 'Let the community decide.' So I'm going to poll people in General Discussion to get an idea for what we as a whole feel the best way to go about this is; pending that discussion, my separate DF Streams thread might disappear, or I might change something, but I'm going to make it for now just so that you guys have a place to go to discuss the events that transpired, and post any fanart you may come up with.

See you all around the bend!

(Cross posted from Reddit).

Yo.

So I'm doing something new in my life and looking to stream on Twitch. Because of my chronic self-loathing, I want to stream Dwarf Fortress first, despite knowing that streaming Dwarf Fortress can bore viewers to tears if not interesting or exciting. I'm hoping that the awesomeness of the DF community and its exorbitant morbidity will help with that, as it has proven both after four years of lurking and very intermittent posting.

So I'm taking suggestions on !!FUN!! elements to add to my game that you folks would enjoy watching. I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for... uh, too long... so I can handle some severe levels of difficulty. Evil biomes, arctic embarks, poor man's starts with no equipment, everyone's a cheesemaker, worlds with crazy stupid amounts of forgotten beasts, pre-genned worlds you guys are familiar with that would make for a good stream... go nuts!

I will turn down stuff that's obviously going to doom me before the first season is up, but anything else is fair game.

Twitch channel is here: https://www.twitch.tv/oaogigmaster. I'm setting everything up now; currently neck deep in tweaking audio. I'm looking to start the stream either tonight or tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:19:53 pm by OAOGigmaster »
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: [DF STREAMS] Taking Requests for First-Time Stream
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 04:16:04 pm »

hmm, settle in an evil desert (volcano optional, and evil desert because the Giant Scorpion)

Also, as a sort of side project, if you find a volcano evil desert, build a glass staircase from the tip of the cauldera to the very bottom of the map, which has a glass city IN the magma ocean... (I should try this...)

^ ^ ^ That enough !FUN! for ya? ^ ^ ^
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 04:42:39 pm »

hmm, settle in an evil desert (volcano optional, and evil desert because the Giant Scorpion)

Also, as a sort of side project, if you find a volcano evil desert, build a glass staircase from the tip of the cauldera to the very bottom of the map, which has a glass city IN the magma ocean... (I should try this...)

I like, especially because, despite REPEATED attempts to find the damn things, I've never encountered a giant scorpion. Though I don't think it needs to be evil, just savage? At least that's what the wiki says. If someone can say with authority that they pop up in evil biomes more, that'll be another point in favor of 'horribly evil biome' choices. Though, TBF, I'm pretty sure this is going to end up in an evil biome one way or another.

An enforced constructions and workshops in green glass only rule might be fun, depending on where the volcano spawns. Sort of like 'Wizard of Oz meets Fuck the World lever.'

Going to be genning worlds tonight to find a good candidate, will probably take me a little while. Keep them coming!
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 04:56:50 pm »

lol, glad you liked it, when you start may I has first dwarf?

And when is your designated stream time?

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 05:20:31 pm »

Sure, you can have first dwarf. I'll do it alphabetically, unless you have a preference for a specific kind of dwarf. Which I might or might not respect, depending on how fuubbernucked I am.

I'm planning to start streaming tomorrow at 5:00 PM EST. I might stream a little tonight of my current fort at 9:00 PM EST, primarily to do some tests and make sure I'm happy with my setup. While disappointingly boring (I built this current fort near a bunch of goblins and two towers... and I've seen two sieges in twelve years... woo), I'm going to end it with a bang by taking my ~25 man military straight to hell. At the breakneck speed of 10 FPS.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 05:41:14 pm »

Sure, you can have first dwarf. I'll do it alphabetically, unless you have a preference for a specific kind of dwarf. Which I might or might not respect, depending on how fuubbernucked I am.

I'm planning to start streaming tomorrow at 5:00 PM EST. I might stream a little tonight of my current fort at 9:00 PM EST, primarily to do some tests and make sure I'm happy with my setup. While disappointingly boring (I built this current fort near a bunch of goblins and two towers... and I've seen two sieges in twelve years... woo), I'm going to end it with a bang by taking my ~25 man military straight to hell. At the breakneck speed of 10 FPS.

I'll get the popcorn and DP ready :P

As for my dwarf, I want to be the resident Bookkeeper, so I can wait a little till you choose someone. And when you dwarf me, just Ryukan will do, no need for the "Immortal" part.... that might be considered tempting fate

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 06:33:33 pm »

That... would be best. I'm aiming to have most of these forts go up in spectacular fashion. Honestly, if I'm not dead in 5 years, with how I see these streams going, I'm probably going to bring the circus into town. I'm seeing long forts as too boring, potentially, for a stream, unless they have some kind of charming, redeeming quality. You know, the quality of burning flesh and tear coatings on eyelids.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 09:59:49 pm »

Streaming right now my effort at running Legend Furnace (my current fort) into the ground. Come and watch me blather on for an hour or so!

www.twitch.com/OAOGigmaster
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:57:06 pm by OAOGigmaster »
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you to MarcusCarab, Cephalos666 and TheImmortalRyukan for ideas!

Fortress is going to situated in an evil desert biome (hopefully a terrifying one) nearby a volcano of some description. Going to go with the first one I get, iron or otherwise. Plan is to build the fortress completely above-ground over the volcano mouth, using little else than green glass as construction material. I'll dwarf followers and people who ask on a case-by-case basis, with Ryukan getting the first bookeeper who arrives. (He thinks I'll live that long apparently). Also, if I find a giant desert scorpion, all possible effort must be made to capture it and tame it.

Still open for ideas! I'm going to go online around 4:00 PM EST, just so I have some time to generate a world, setup my embark profile and get some start-of-game boring crap out of the way before 5:00 PM, so if you have nothing else to do and just want to hang in chat, come on down!
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

Thank you to MarcusCarab, Cephalos666 and TheImmortalRyukan for ideas!

Fortress is going to situated in an evil desert biome (hopefully a terrifying one) nearby a volcano of some description. Going to go with the first one I get, iron or otherwise. Plan is to build the fortress completely above-ground over the volcano mouth, using little else than green glass as construction material. I'll dwarf followers and people who ask on a case-by-case basis, with Ryukan getting the first bookeeper who arrives. (He thinks I'll live that long apparently). Also, if I find a giant desert scorpion, all possible effort must be made to capture it and tame it.

Still open for ideas! I'm going to go online around 4:00 PM EST, just so I have some time to generate a world, setup my embark profile and get some start-of-game boring crap out of the way before 5:00 PM, so if you have nothing else to do and just want to hang in chat, come on down!

lol see you there, I'm off of work with no commitments, Good Luck to you

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

Blood For Ray

In seriousness, That was !FUN! I loved your first stream, keep it up, I'll try to create some fanart for Ray

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF STREAMS] [Retired thread, see OP] Streaming Nightmare Fort
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 09:18:51 pm »

Thank you to all who came to follow me and watch the stream tonight! I think I'm going to let this post die a slow, natural death on its own. Deathkey is up and running, for now, fueled by the... mysterious events that transpired with 2, likely 4 dwarves loosing their lives.

I will likely post an update before the next stream, inviting others to come and watch our slow decay into disrepair and madness, but for those of you who want to plan ahead, we're picking up where we left off next week at 5:00 PM EST, when we will determine the fate of the Pretentious Tools together! We may also stream one or two things before then; you can check out my Twitch channel for updates for any such impromptu stuff when I figure I've got the time to spare.

What I'll do is make a second topic for my DF streams here, and just update it with information as stuff happens. I also talked to the forum moderators about the 'polite, community appropriate' way to create a stream update thread without being a self-aggrandizing moron, and the response seems to be 'Let the community decide.' So I'm going to poll people in General Discussion to get an idea for what we as a whole feel the best way to go about this is; pending that discussion, my separate DF Streams thread might disappear, or I might change something, but I'm going to make it for now just so that you guys have a place to go to discuss the events that transpired, and post any fanart you may come up with.

See you all around the bend!
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster