Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Archery Targets wiki article.  (Read 4652 times)

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Archery Targets wiki article.
« on: December 02, 2016, 08:06:17 am »

From the wiki http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Archery_target

If you have a room underneath your archery range, you can channel the area behind the target to save bolts (falling bolts don't break), but if you completely channel targets out, recruits will stop training as they require a straight walkable path to the target. A floor grate will NOT work.

Could someone explain this? Possibly with a picture? Bolts do not continue beyond the target, channeling behind it is useless, bolts do not go there they hit it and make a pile on the ground in front of it. I channeled out behind them, and all it got me was an ugly room that didnt match my hallways one floor below, it did absolutely nothing. Thought "maybe whoever posted that got it backwards" so I refloored my channel, then channeled infront of it, all that did was stop function.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archery Targets wiki article.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 09:38:22 am »

Some bolts miss (range needs to be long enough to make that amount higher), if the wall they hit after missing has no floor in front, they fall down to be reused. This implies some space between archery targets for missing bolts to fly through. While you can save a substantial amount of bolts that way the recycling rate goes down when your dwarves increase their skills and hit more often.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 10:49:38 am »

Some bolts miss (range needs to be long enough to make that amount higher), if the wall they hit after missing has no floor in front, they fall down to be reused. This implies some space between archery targets for missing bolts to fly through. While you can save a substantial amount of bolts that way the recycling rate goes down when your dwarves increase their skills and hit more often.
I had no idea the distance from the target mattered, I have them all standing like 3 squares away, I was afraid of making the archery area overlap with a barracks, thought it might make them do something stupid.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 11:19:42 am »

Ok, since i double posted and cant see how to delete this, proper thread is here
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161731.0