Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Narrow Fortress challenge/end of my try at it.  (Read 1093 times)

Evonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring lovecraft antagonist
    • View Profile
Narrow Fortress challenge/end of my try at it.
« on: December 02, 2016, 05:01:34 pm »

So I desided to make my new fortress with a twist, it must be 7x7, 9x9 if you count walls, everything must be built up/down in that area, I could quarry stone, hunt, channel liquids, etc. outside but everything else must be in the... Narrow Fortress.

Skip ahead a year or two and I have ~40-50 dwarves in a tall tower, most food comes from a 1 floor turkey battery farm with the rest coming from caravans, no wood, coal or lignite has fairly effectively brought the fortress to a standstill, more important uses for the wood from the caravans always came up and some bad decisions led to the channels that were supposed to be for magma filled with water and all the miners dead, in short the millita was lucky to have some low quality iron maces.

The beginning of the end started with the second were-mole attack, the previous one ended quickly and quietly with two deaths but no injury's otherwise. Not so with this one, lots of deaths, lots of injurys but nothing fortress-crippling, the wounded go to the hospital floor and pretty much all of them survive. One month later when the last of the were-moles, 9/10ths of my dwarves, most of the human caravan and any other once living things unlucky enough to be nearby are dead a forgotten beast announces it's self, it goes through a few of the last dwarves as it goes up the stairs until it meets my last able bodied dwarf, a master marks-dwarf, and the last of the caravan guards, after that spectacular battle which I did not see dew to the fact I had earlier given up and was browsing TV tropes the forgotten beast was the only serviver. Dispite it having far more broken bones than unbroken the forgotten beast, a 3 eyed web spewing partridge, crawled down the stairs and, mustering it's strength, heroically broke a limestone door.

Then some migrants came, visions of them beating the mortally wounded beast to death and then the master bowyer that came with them supplying a crack squad of marksdwarves fighting off any and all comers swam through my head. Instead they got stuck in webs for the beast to pick off at it's leisure. In the end there was 2 unconscious probably tyflopónthropic dwarves and the only surviving immigrant, a baby.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 05:24:58 pm by Evonix »
Has descended into madness

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Narrow Fortress challenge/end of my try at it.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 06:16:17 pm »

This might be somewhat more challenging if you were limited to 7x7x1z. At 7x7 tower, you just have just somewhat less efficient and tinier smallabbey. (4 workshops per z-level would mean 5 z-levels for all industries, toss in a room for sleeping and another for leisure and you have a 7x7x7 box with room left over).

Still, curious how you set it up, map?

"tyflopónthropic"?

Also, would fit more into community games.

Evonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 08:08:45 pm »

This might be somewhat more challenging if you were limited to 7x7x1z. At 7x7 tower, you just have just somewhat less efficient and tinier smallabbey. (4 workshops per z-level would mean 5 z-levels for all industries, toss in a room for sleeping and another for leisure and you have a 7x7x7 box with room left over).

Still, curious how you set it up, map?

"tyflopónthropic"?

Also, would fit more into community games.
tyflopónthropic is my best guess for were-mole in greek.

Sorry about putting it in the wrong space.

How do I link files?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 08:22:49 pm by Evonix »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 08:27:43 pm »

With Uniform Resource Locators, commonly shortened to URLs.

For dwarf fortress in particular there is http://dffd.bay12games.com/ for uploading them.

Evonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 10:25:04 pm »

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12597

Bit of an old file but still, Things were a bit harder for me as I did things like try to give every dwarf a desint sized bedroom so 4 dwarves to a floor and I was planning to have pumpstacks and farming floors, also a few floors for stockpiles,temples, training rooms and such things.

I wanted a full sized fortress, but stuffed into a tube.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 01:33:07 pm by Evonix »

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 01:19:03 am »

Any advice for other people interested in trying a 'tube' fort? That sounds like a really fun constraint to work with; once my current streamed fort dies (glass only, no living underground, fort's on top of a volcano in an evil mist biome), the next one I stream might be a long tube like yours.
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 02:18:18 am »

85MB? Large world.

Well, I'd suggest not embarking on 4x4. Why do such large embark when you're not going to use it?

I'd also suggest using QSPs, though it is interesting to look at fort that tries to do without given the circumstances. Certainly makes it more challenging.

An idea to compress room: Obsidian-casting. This would allow you to have up/down stairs and workshops or beds on same tiles.

On the bright side, that tilted cross combination is neat ida for more straighforward paths between z-levels with single central stair.

And, wow, that's a lot of turkeys.

And lots of injured people near a weremole :p

Hm. Seems people fell down the central single stairway with the fights and openness to caverns? Quite the long fall. Perhaps a cross-styled rampway would be more efficient? There would be slight side-stepping needed every 4z.

On that note, it'd be easier to do the fort into the corner of embark tiles if you plan on tunneling into the caverns, so that's an argument for 2x2.

(for reference, earlier mentioned Smallabbey)