Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: is vampire blood broken, or what?  (Read 2680 times)

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
is vampire blood broken, or what?
« on: December 02, 2016, 07:37:49 pm »

So, I had trained a legendary swordgoblin hero adventurer. Using a macro to slap a bear's tail (I like to think it was his ass) with the flat of a sword is super fun btw.

Anyway, I traveled to a nearby human town to learn of the location of bandit camps and stuff, when out of nowhere I got ambushed by a vampire lizard woman. Or some other kind of reptile. The thing was fast, dodging most of my legendary sword skills. Sometimes I was able to land an attack of opportunity that did some damage, but not much. Then she got a lucky hit, bit my right hand, broke a bone and pulled a tendom  and made me drop my shield. So, things could go south pretty fast now.

If only I could be as fast as she. And then I remembered, I could! All I had to do is drink her blood!
So that's what I did. I ate the blood coating my sword... And nothing. Filled a waterskin with some of her blood that was on the floor and drank it... Nothing.

I eventually stabbed her through the face, but I couldn't use her blood to turn.

So... Why couldn't I become a vampire that way?
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
Re: is vampire blood broken, or what?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 09:44:48 pm »

That's particularly odd, and while I can't figure it out, one workaround is travelling to a town, (While I don't practice this, it is a method if you want to work around it), save, then knock over a chapel statue and reload until you get vampirism.
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 10:00:08 pm »

That's particularly odd, and while I can't figure it out, one workaround is travelling to a town, (While I don't practice this, it is a method if you want to work around it), save, then knock over a chapel statue and reload until you get vampirism.
Oh, I know of that.
Thing is, getting vampirism "straight from the tap" sounds more awesome. I mean, going down on legends for being cursed by a deity of rainbows... Doesn't have the same effect.

Speaking of that, I wonder what would legends say if you get vampirism from vamp blood rather than toppling...
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 10:03:26 pm »

Oh, I know of that.
Thing is, getting vampirism "straight from the tap" sounds more awesome. I mean, going down on legends for being cursed by a deity of rainbows... Doesn't have the same effect.

Speaking of that, I wonder what would legends say if you get vampirism from vamp blood rather than toppling...
While I can't pull my legends up because I'm in a game at the moment, it'd probably be similar to Werebeasts where it's like "Passing on the (Insert werebeast here) curse" or something similar but replace werebeasts with Vampires.
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 03:07:43 am »

I think it's because you're a goblin.

Goblins by default are immortal, and it's the reason you don't see goblin necromancers (I think it doesn't work if you read a slab as a goblin too) - I'm fairly sure it's the same case for vampirism.

Remuluson

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:EDITING_TOO_MUCH:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 06:09:56 am »

the plum helmet man cant be vampire for sure
[ETHICS:FEAR_SOCKMASTRERS:REQUIRED]
[ETHICS:HAVING_TOO_MUCH_ETHICS:REQUIRED]

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 08:08:34 am »

Goblins by default are immortal, and it's the reason you don't see goblin necromancers (I think it doesn't work if you read a slab as a goblin too) - I'm fairly sure it's the same case for vampirism.
In that case he wouldn't be thirsty, and I had vampiric Goblins before (albeit with statue tipping), so it likely isn't that.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 09:44:00 am »

In that case he wouldn't be thirsty, and I had vampiric Goblins before (albeit with statue tipping), so it likely isn't that.
well god curses totally bypass the blood drank check which is more of a creature typing check than a "are you cursed before" one. would be funny to see a race just be immune from a god curse.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 01:53:53 pm »

well god curses totally bypass the blood drank check which is more of a creature typing check than a "are you cursed before" one. would be funny to see a race just be immune from a god curse.
Ah, I didn't think of that one, but yeah, it could just be a creature type check, though I find it odd because goblins don't need to drink usually.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 09:51:27 am »

Ah, I didn't think of that one, but yeah, it could just be a creature type check, though I find it odd because goblins don't need to drink usually.
also elves cant become necromancers either so playing those races just makes sure your character lives forever but stuck losing out some god curses.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 05:59:03 am »

I'm honestly surprised this isn't a bigger issue. It played the deuce with me when I first went vampire-hunting.

For some inconceivable reason, not all vampires have vampiric blood. The prime offenders are the roving nighttime vamps like the one you encountered, usually animal persons of some variety. That said, I've also had this problem with vampires hiding among the mortal. The cause, whatever it is, has something to do with the age of a world. Gen a world for less than 500 years and you should be fine. Gen for it over a thousand and you can have a very hard time becoming a vampire.

It's a bug that I don't expect to be fixed anytime soon, both because of its relative obscurity (a lot of folks seem to think that you have to drink the blood a particular way) and the sheer difficulty of finding its source.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 09:45:22 am »

I'm honestly surprised this isn't a bigger issue. It played the deuce with me when I first went vampire-hunting.

For some inconceivable reason, not all vampires have vampiric blood. The prime offenders are the roving nighttime vamps like the one you encountered, usually animal persons of some variety. That said, I've also had this problem with vampires hiding among the mortal. The cause, whatever it is, has something to do with the age of a world. Gen a world for less than 500 years and you should be fine. Gen for it over a thousand and you can have a very hard time becoming a vampire.

It's a bug that I don't expect to be fixed anytime soon, both because of its relative obscurity (a lot of folks seem to think that you have to drink the blood a particular way) and the sheer difficulty of finding its source.
like why do you drink the blood now when you can play pissin a god off roulette and test your luck on getting bloodsucker as a curse... or becoming a werebeast, which I rarely hear players bring up in threads given that's alot riskier than being a jerk to a immortal cursed guy in hopes of getting them to bleed to get cursed yourself
like you could just lite something on fire, give it to the person and watch them catch on fire enough to bleed a pool of blood.
Werebeasts have to bite you to transfer and they could just up and claw your face off, kick your head in bite your neck causing you to bleed out before you turn all kinds of stuff that sounds FUN.

I mean we still haven't figure out how to become night trolls.

edit: oh there also the case of syndrome not kicking in due to your adventurer's immune system fighting it off as syndromes have been known to just not stick on folks due to poison resistance, or being not of the same general poison group that most creatures kinda stay out of.
so uhh find a church or make one and tip your local statues today.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:48:57 am by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 09:55:21 pm »

edit: oh there also the case of syndrome not kicking in due to your adventurer's immune system fighting it off as syndromes have been known to just not stick on folks due to poison resistance, or being not of the same general poison group that most creatures kinda stay out of.
Oh. That actually makes sense. There's also Disease Resistance, which might explain why vampiric blood is harder to find in older worlds.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 03:29:36 am »

Oh. That actually makes sense. There's also Disease Resistance, which might explain why vampiric blood is harder to find in older worlds.
there also the case of toady nerfing vampires so they don't run massive evil criminal overworlds(because they were open about it to be an underworld) and doom humanity which was a big case in one of the recent updates.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 04:15:27 am »

Not a fan of Legacy of Kain I see then.

oh_no
Pages: [1] 2