Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Gig plays DF: NIGHTMARES (Stream)  (Read 10625 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF Stream] Gig plays Dwarf Fortress: Nightmare Mode Mon/Fri @ 5:00 PM EST
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 06:59:12 pm »

I can't wait for you to post the stats when a dwarf reached Legendary Milker and Legendary Cheesemaker.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 08:20:25 pm »

Legendary Cheesemaker.... oh ggoooodddddd.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 01:58:12 pm »

My current plan will depend on whether above-ground terrain tiles have vegetation, and how cold it will be. I'm probably going to aim for a taiga or tundra, since evil versions of these biomes seem to have werewolves - something I haven't experienced before!

I'm planning on bringing a huge number of goats on embark. I'd like to switch over to alpacas eventually, though the good news is that I can start a cloth industry very early on (since I don't need to worry about eating crops!) Of course, booze will still be necessary, but the demand overall won't be as high.

I also realized that I can get around unhappy thoughts about food quality by having kitchens cook together different stacks of cheese. (This qualifies for 'discreet stacks' of food ingredients, as long as they get stored separately).

If dwarves could make alcoholic beverages out of milk, I'd go even that far, but sadly they'll have to have regular booze XD.

EDIT: Meant to say 'ice wolves.'

If the surface doesn't have tiles I can graze on from the start (and roof over so they don't all freeze in fall/winter), I'm tunneling straight down to the caverns. (Though I will always have an above ground access of some kind I can wall/bridge off. Wouldn't be much fun otherwise).
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 05:13:43 pm »

If you bring pigs, you don't need grazing. 
Can you milk cats and dogs?

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 06:32:50 pm »

Hmm! Didn't know that about pigs, actually.

That raises the question: go for the cheaper goats, or bring pigs on embark to be certain, but risk starvation before the trade liason arrives (Assuming they survive).
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2017, 02:38:47 pm »

New fortress going up today on Twitch at 5:00 PM EST!

Doing world generation ahead of time this go-around to avoid that long delay Deathkeys had before getting started. I'm going to find a gen with a good, valid embark location or two, then leave it there until I start the stream.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2017, 07:43:11 pm »

Sorry I dropped out in the middle of the stream, I had more important things to do (My Ponies were revolting and A Spae Dragon wasn't making things easier)

I'll watch the recording later.

You die?

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2017, 07:58:27 pm »

Nope! We're in the ground (WITHOUT being dead and buried, mind you), safe and snug from the rain of frozen dwarf blood. We made our first cheese and are about to sink a well and start a tunnel connecting the volcanic cliff face to our emergency GTFO bunker.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 02:40:42 pm »

Fortress information for Cheesemurdered added! Includes status screen and dwarf info for people dorfed as of now.

Legends information soon! (DFHack is being a butt).
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2017, 02:04:13 pm »

Huzzah! Legends viewer information is uploaded to Google drive! There's now a link in the Legends information spoiler tab in the fortress-specific post on the first page for Cheesemurdered.

See you all later today!
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2017, 04:37:35 pm »

In the Astral Plane

Ryukan drifted through the expansive void that was the Astral Plane. Some called it the "After-life", others the "Dreamscape". It mattered not to Ryukan, his only purpose here was to see his master who called this Eldritch location home.

He slowly drifted through the expanse. Before long a structure loomed before him. Those who knew of its existence simply called the classical styled structure The Void Temple. He didn't care about what it was called, he only cared about its sole inhabitant. As he entered he stopped floating and stepped onto the floor made of unknown material. He walked briskly, passing the few other visitors to this place, all of them agents like him tasked with other parts of the Multi-verse.

He soon approached a large double door. He paused, took a deep breath, and opened the door and walked into the large circular room. The room was bare, save for a pedestal in the center. He approached the Pedestal and spoke a few words of commands.

A large shadow appeared from the pedestal and formed itself into the form of a hooded figure.

"Why did you summon me O faithful servant?" The figure inquired.

"I have need of your blessing to travel to a land not yet touched by the Order." Ryukan replied.

"What is this land?" The being asked.

"It is a land of bloody snow and creatures of nightmares. I wish to inhabit a body of a dwarf and spread discord among the populous." Ryukan said.

"What do we have to gain from this little expedition of yours?"

"Nothing of value nor interest. I merely wish for a little break and some time to have fun."

"That is an odd request coming from you... though I suppose you have served me faithfully for centuries." The figure paused, "Very well. I will allow this little leisurely trip of yours. But do try to spill some blood in my name, that way your trip won't be a total waste of the Order's time."

"Your wish is my command Mistress Ray" Ryukan bowed and exited the room as the figure dissipated into shadow and was seemingly sucked back into the pedestal.

A small smirk made its way onto the dark elf's face as he walked out of the structure, causing several of the other visitors to stop and stare at the usually stoic Ryukan.

Ryukan chuckled as his consciousness traveled back to his body.

"This will be fun"

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 04:35:23 pm »

Friday stream going up in half an hour! See everyone there. Also have like BIG IMPORTANT THINGS to talk about re: Nightmare mode.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 05:16:39 pm »

Strims on.

Twitch intensifies
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1/23/2017

CHEESEMURDERED IS DEAD! Long live the fortress! Aaaand... in other news, a cheese-only fort is really, really hard XD.

New fortress is coming up today, along with our frame story! This will tie in any and all creative endeavors together through the different fortresses we play in DF: Nightmares. We also have a new setup for rules in DF: Nightmares, which will result in more varied and difficult fortresses as we improve!

We've also now got the GRAVEYARD, where brief information and a screenshot of our past fortresses shall live for eternity.

NEW DESCRIPTIONS IN OP AND STUFF

A community of dwarves, lost in the dark.
A series of worlds, passed by and abused.
Rules, restrictions, changes; all used
By it, the Other, to wrench dwarves apart.
Will you, dear reader, join them and be
And with them, once lost, the next world dream?

What is DF: Nightmares?
DF: Nightmares is a unique play style for community fortresses, where we take suggestions from the community on different rules and restrictions, organize them according to difficulty, then create a joint game play experience with each fort by combining those suggestions together! Suggestions are labeled as minor, moderate or major rules; each fortress will have a small number of each.

Minor: these rules are primarily for flavor purposes, or represent initial obstacles that can be overcome and resolved without much struggle.
Moderate: these rules impose restrictions or requirements that, while not game-breaking, can cause significant damage to a fortress, especially in its first few years.
Major: restrictions or requirements that will remain permanent issues throughout the fortresses life, often shaping the design of the fortresses around themselves. Most likely to bring a !!Fun!! end to any fortress.

Each category of rule is worth a certain number of points. With each fortress that falls, we'll receive a score based on its lifespan, fortress wealth and artifact count. The higher our score, the more embark points and mineral density the following fortress world will have, but the more rules that can be 'bought' to make that next fortresses existence more precarious.

What is the frame story of DF: Nightmares?
DF: Nightmares features the activity of a nameless being - called Other by most - that exists outside worlds and times, and seeks to discover just how far dwarves can go to survive. Whether it does this out of malice or simple curiosity is unknown, but its power and sinister creativity is immense. A collective of hapless dwarves (our viewership) is dragged along for the ride with each Nightmare he creates, who work with the memories that remain of nightmares past to restore some sense of normalcy in their lives. Each world that they visit is largely oblivious to this phenomenon, until the spirit of one of these dreaming dwarves is crammed into the mind of a creature unlucky enough to call a DF: Nightmares fortress 'home.'
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:37:35 am by OAOGigmaster »
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

**Lore post**

3RD FORTRESS - Prologue

There was nothing.

Then there was Other.

The nothing didn't really bother it that much.

Other's new venture was brilliant, wonderful, insane. The dwarves were more than it had hoped for. Almost limitless potential. Incredible skill. Yet strangely disposed to the oddest kinds of mistakes. It fascinated Other, in a way the technically impossible nothingness around it never could; nothingness was too blaise, too everyday to it at this point.

But, on the edges of its mind, something dark had entered. A hint of boredom? Other considered this speck, sat on the though of it, tasted it once, twice. (Incidentally, it tasted like licorice.)

Then, it understood! The boredom, was because it had realized the dwarves would never evolve from this. Sure, the dwarves might display abnormal activity in every world it poached upon for its purpose, but they would never learn from their faliures, lost to the dream as they were. Memories were too hazy, recollections too few. There has to be a way to change this game, so that they may yet hold my interest, Other thought.

An idea occurred to it. A dream might not carry through from one world to the next... but a nightmare could. Something stronger than a dream. Something they could remember, in fits and starts, as they awoke to each reality.

Other's passion for excitement and surprise burned hot as it began tearing through worlds to satisfy its parameters. Soon, it would be ready once again. Would they?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:52:41 pm by OAOGigmaster »
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6