Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Gig plays DF: NIGHTMARES (Stream)  (Read 10668 times)

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
Re: [DF Stream] Gig plays DF: NIGHTMARES (Next stream FRI 1/24 5:00PM EST)
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2017, 12:22:16 pm »

**Lore Post**

A warp in time, a twist in space, and a new world is found. Other begins to work on his newest game, tweaking the threads of fate...

9 Granite 250, journal of Rovod Endokzeg

By order of our Queen, Stakud Onulsákrith, we command these SEVEN DWARVES to travel northwest of the mountainhome of Ananasmel, or "Night Merchant," and found a FORTRESS to claim reserves of gold, iron and silver, and provide a testament of DWARVEN STRENGTH AND INGENUITY.

So says the official writ from the crown, anyways. Not that I'm going to complain - not my place and such - but couldn't they pick a better place?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I brought this up with one of my miner and mason peers, who laughed it off. "Wasn't our first king an open necromancer? Not that we'd ever go back to such days, but these undead dudes probably have, like, a special deal with the Crown. It'll be fine!"

His words do little to reassure me.

Also unnerving is our provisioning for this trip, though I've seen weirder. One of our warriors, a dual shield-wielding woman called Etur Athelust, reassures me that it's a "gimmick" that allowed our expedition leader and master farmer, Sigun Turlkubuk, to get a bunch of "free barrels" as some kind of loyalty program reward. I could care less; just as long as this random mishmash of meat keeps us fed. Unlike some of the other expeditions I was on, as least we remembered to BRING food.

It is nice to see that the area around us is peaceful. On arrival, anyways. Hopefully it stays that way.

Hah. Hahah. I made a joke.

21 Granite 250, journal of Rovod Endokzeg

Something odd is happening... our supplies are fine, and the initial camp is taking shape. But three of our dwarves seem... different, somehow.

What's worse, I could swear they know it too, looking around themselves like they just woke up from some strange dream. I tried talking to Etur - after all, she seemed rather dependable, and if they're Possessed (and about to go crazy) we need to know... but she gave this strange look after carefully inspecting her... lady parts... and informed me that her name was MrPervSan.

... You know what? I don't care enough. We've got smelters and workshops to put up in the freezing rain and wood to burn, ere we have armor and gear for 'MrPervSan' (I guess?) and... 'Larzox' to use. Hopefully before some sort of giant zombie penguin shows up and eats us all. I just hope Qvatch - don't even know what our smith's name was before whatever THIS was - is capable enough to handle things once us builders are done with the setup.

2 Slate 250, journal of Rovod Endokzeg

We've made some progress! At least we have a wall around us know. Well, mostly. We had to extend the wall at the orders of MrPervSan (who was elected expedition leader shortly after exposing herself at everyone) so that we could include an area for our eventual project to pierce through the aquifer in the region. The smith, Qvatch, is also going full-blast, lining up masterworks of bronze breastplates and shields as fast as anyone. I'm a little shocked to see such fine pieces, from a more-strange stranger working in the sun and rain. Maybe this whole identity swap thing isn't so bad? Or at least not as creepy as I feared?

I have some tentative hopes about this place.... what was it called again?

"Tombstakes?"

... Tentative hopes, indeed.

At least our food situation is pretty settled. That farmer, Sigun, has some sort of 'system' in place to maximize our food potential.

I can do naught but trust in her experience and wisdom.

10 Limestone 250, journal of Rovod Endokzeg

Summer passed by in a flash. Things are proceeding... surprisingly well, I'm happy to say. Despite the looming triple threat a couple day's travel away, nothing has showed up to accost or otherwise attack us. In the meantime, progress on piercing the aquifer continues.

We're using the standard builder's 'double-slit' method of punching through this one. As always, it's slow going, but I have confidence we can win our battle against this damnable soaked rock. We covered the above-ground entrances with hatches; at least we can keep water that falls from the nauseating open sky out of the shaft.

I feel like we're going to be shouting about being unable to build walls in the sloshing water for a very, very long time.

In other news, we got some migrants over the summer. Though only four, they seem like hale, hearty fellows. Most of them find picks made by Qvatch and start working the aquifer with the rest of us.

We also had the promised Fall caravan come by. That Qvatch fellow pounded out some forged bronze serrated disks, and the caraven ate up every single one. I worry about a bunch of dwarven plebs hearing about it, and assuming we have VAST RICHES or something - our continent is famously low on useable metals - but most of what we got were more seeds, cloth and leather for future crafting needs. We requested more leather, some stone and metal... and I think the mountainhome liason Urvad Cagith just finished drafting up a trade agreement with MrPervSan.

The line mentioning the 189% markup on cheese made the blood drain from Qvatch's face, who had to excuse herself to steady her nerves. Don't know why cheese would bother her so much; we don't have the livestock to make any anyways.

We also threw a set of bronze doors over the entrance of Tombstakes make-shift shelter. Though metal, I have my doubts that they'll hold. Why on earth aren't we using... what's that thing again? ... floodgates? Eh, tip of my tongue and all. These should do, at least, until we can get more permanent measures in place.

Though for the life of me, I can't remember what they would be.

2 Sandstone 250, journal of Rovod Endokzeg

More migrants! At least they all seem useful.

There's one girl that seems especially gifted. Brillliant, actually. Maybe too brilliant.

I mentioned my concern about a possible undead presence to the master farmer, Sigun, who is once again the Expedition Leader after another round of voting. (Can't lie and say I don't feel a bit better about that, 'Qvatch's perfmrnace non-withstanding.) Hopefully I'm just jumping at shadows here.

Also, after reviewing our citizenship rolls, I realized that, out of the starting seven, Sigun is the only man among us. And the vast majority of us are still women? Thank god I'm not MrPervSan, or I would have found something unsettling - or worse - about THAT particular situation. At least our frenzied work pace has kept us distracted enough to forget the question of nookie.

I feel a little dirty now, thinking about it. I went to ask Sakzul - that brilliant one I mentioned - about the chances of the mountainhomes sending up more people of the male variety. She gave me this look that... um, I don't know. How to. Describe it?

Why don't we have bedrooms with doors yet what's wrong with these people.

24 Sandstone 250, journal of Rovod Endokzeg

Things couldn't go perfectly forever, could they?

Seems like we're a little bit screwed with this aquifer. And by screwed, I mean 'might have to make a second shaft, because this one's fucking hosed.' SOMEONE took out a section they shouldn't have, and now every time we run the pump, water sloshes out the front end like one of those fancy plumbing works in the capital, and washes the pumping dwarf right off the crank and into the aquifer. Shit's dangerous as well, but another builder, Rigoth, tells me she thinks she can brave the water long enough to get work done.

Not an hour later, I head down to find her body bobbing in the water seepage from the walls. Can't say it isn't the first time I saw a dwarf dead in a fucking aquifer, but it still kills me to know that our first death in Tombstakes was one of my peers. Don't really know where to go from here.

We also have Kel, one of our migrant farmers, withdrawing from contact with anyone. Some think it's just because of Rigoth's death, but the more experience among us know the signs. He never expressed an interest in any real crafts before, so no one knows what the poor lad needs. We'll start setting up makeshift workshops of every description we can for him; we can't have a second death on our hands. Not this early.

9 Timber 250, journal of Rovod Endokzeg

We've got an idea to handle the aquifer. If we setup a windmill on top, and carefully block off areas around the pump and the access to the aquifer, we might be able to keep the area dry long enough for us to--

FUCK

FUCKING FUCK

FUCKING FUCKER FUCK

What the shit are we going to do. Hearing screaming around the courtyard as people are trying to lock doors around this FUCKING cat that just needed that one bird corpse. Not sure our two half-crazy warriors are up to the challenge.

What do I do?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:35:43 pm by OAOGigmaster »
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF Stream] Gig plays DF: NIGHTMARES (Streaming NOW!)
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2017, 10:21:44 pm »

Good god... that stream. Came so close to loosing the fortress XD.

I'll be posting a write-up tomorrow of what went down, plus OP edits and stuff.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF Stream] Gig plays DF: NIGHTMARES (Streaming Monday 1/29)
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2017, 04:21:34 pm »

**Lore Post**

9 Granite 251, journal of Rovod Endokzeg (Continued)

We scamble for a means to keep the beast back. MrPervSan, unwilling to meet it in open combat, ordered the bronze doors locked and a new wall thrown up behind them, as he and Larzox position themselves just behind, expecting the worst.

The worst does not come. Instead, it gets a severe taste for cat meat.

Fubag (who I'll affectionately refer to as FUBAR the panther) runs after the lone cat, all the way to the edge of the surveyed area around Tombstakes. It doesn't take long for the cat to meet its bitter end a few days later, but as luck would have it, FUBAR reverts to a ...lizard woman? right after the killing, looks around in naked embarrassment and leaves. Confused, MrPervSan relaxes the heightened alert, and the doors are unlocked once more.

Well. That happened, I guess.

20 Granite 251, journal of Rovod Endokzeg (Continued)

Amidst the chaos, we assembled a shop for Kel Lolokmogshum, the man from before who entered the strange mood (almost forgot, honestly). He rushes into it, tears down one of the few remaining shops that incorporated some of the unworked quartzite we brought in with us, and fashions it into an amazing (if simple) quartz earing.

Hey, I'll accept that. As long as we don't have another dead dwarf on our hands.

14 Granite 251, journal of Rovod Endokzeg (Continued)

More bad news, of a sort. The aquifer claims another life, even as we try to adapt our plan to drain it.

Spoiler: Ryukan's Demise (click to show/hide)

I mean sure, she gave me the creeps. It didn't really help when she started referring to herself as 'Ryukan the Immortal!' Kinda like some of the others have been. (Maybe it's some kind of frontier disease?) Not to mention how she kept on inspecting herself, like someone swapped body parts on her. I dunno, maybe I could have liked her. Not like I'll have the chance.

Spoiler: Water + Miasma = Fun (click to show/hide)

Once miasma started filling the tunnel, I decided we've had enough of this fucking thing. I'm going to talk to the others and bring them to my side.

I've got an idea.

29 Granite 251, journal of Rovod Endokzeg (Continued)

Between a bunch of scribblings and rough sketches is a more refined picture of a digging site.

Fuck this stupid watery shit. I'm going to take it out, dwarf engineer style. I know we've got some non-aquifer compacted sand around. If we can mine out an area into the aquifer and drop in the first ring above, it'll give us a chance to drop the second section as a plug inside, through which we can finally crack into some decent, dwarven rock. (Please oh god please let it be soon. I've forgotten what rock other than quartzite tastes like).

Spoiler: Safety Measures (click to show/hide)

I've even been adding in some of my new ideas, like this measure that allows us to channel out the gaps between the ring and plug sections without arseholes mining under their feet and breaking both of their legs. I swear to the Gods, no one is going to die this time. Just safe, clever, effective dwarven engineering.

21 Hematite 251, journal of Rovod Endokzeg (Continued)

We're ready to go. I've got the secured zone around the separation area in place. Heading up now to do it myself. Not risking another good dwarven life but my own here.

Spoiler: Gravity at Work (click to show/hide)

And it worked like a damned charm! A keg of betting brew goes to me, and not a bone broken! All we gotta do now is drain all the water that flew up when the compacted sand slid into place, and we can drop the plug.

Not, of course, before we make sure this second phase is going to go smoothly. We're setting up a bunch of gates situated on a wood platform around the stone arm that's keeping several tons of sediment in the air. (On reflection, I'm really not quite sure how that works. When I'm working under the suspended plug, I'll admit to feeling a bit of... trepidation.)

Common. Something has to go right in Tombstakes! I'm heading off to drop the plug down into the hole. I've got a good feeling about this!

The next several pages were ripped out, apparently from being fouled with mud, water and blood, as the writer looked for a section of the thick journal that was capable of taking ink.

30th of Hematite, year 251, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

Seeing as though our supply of paper and writeable material is small, I lay claim to this journal of our intelligent, masterful mason, and designer of our success in breaching this evil water-bearing rock.

Spoiler: Ablel Basenrakust (click to show/hide)

Rovod is dead, killed by her own success, I'm afriad. Something went wrong with the doors they set up and... well, I still can't get a clear answer from them. All that's clear is that, when the collapse happened, something gave way under Rovod's feet, and when the dust cleared, most of her body was caught underneath the aquifer plug she helped to design. If only we could have made a mechanism to do it remotely!

I would prefer to avoid discussion of foul play; I can't imagine anyone WANTING to kill her. Rovod was, if brusque as times, a decent soul, and a good worker at that. I wish I had known her a little better, as I only emigrated to the fortress a few months ago.

At least the worst is behind us.

30th of Hematite, year 251, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

Whyyyyyyyyy.

OK. We've got time. MrPervSan orders everyone to start putting up walls around the new dig site. I CANNOT STRESS how desperately we need stone. People are going mad without it. We're lucky Kel was able to get some before killing his peers.

I hope we have enough time. We're doomed.

Spoiler: A Good Try (click to show/hide)

The wall is incomplete, and they're already here. Everone makes a mad dash to get inside as Larzox rings the bells like a madman. Most escape with minor scratches, as they hop across the surface of the brook, but Stukos is tripped up and disappears beneath a tide of unholy elf corpses. Moments later, the brook underneath the fortress runs red with dwarven blood.

Spoiler: Gurgle Glub Glub (click to show/hide)

We need that wall, NOW.

25th of Malachite, year 251, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

The wall's done, but we have other problems. THE GODDAMN THINGS CAN CLIMB!

Spoiler: American Zombie Ninja (click to show/hide)

MrPervSan and Larzox rush to repel the rotting elven crossbowman, and immediately lay into it with a lightning-fast series of bashes and pummels, but they can't seem to get serious damage on it! Rocked by repeated blows, the zombie can't avoid the pick swing of a builder, who manages to pierce the skull and remove it as a threat. THANK YOU!

But it isn't over. They're crawling up everywhere; we can hear them, moaning and scraping their flabby bodies against our wood and stone walls. More screams! I can hear our two warriors continuing the fight, but where?

Crossbow bolts are landing in the yard. How are they... why are they shooting? We're behind a wall...

Spoiler: GENIUS FIGHTING LOCALE (click to show/hide)

"PERV SAN! YOU IDIOT! GET DOWN!" I glanced to the side. "AND GET LARZOX OFF THERE! YOU'RE TAKING TOO MUCH FIRE!"

"What's that? I can't hear you over HOW HOT I AM RIGHT NOW!" shouted MrPervSan, deflecting another bolt as two more sprouted in his arms. "We're CRUSHING IT UP HERE!"

At that point, two more zombies cleared the wall and grabbed onto MrPervSan's ankles; with a startled shout he fell, and even as I averted my eyes, runnels of dwarven blood began to cascade down the gate walls. Our only two warriors died to their hubris.

(OOC: Seriously, WTF guys? XD Let's CLIMB THE WALL to fight the zombies outside! Sounds like a real winner!)

The zombies already on top of the wall then jumped off, eager for more. We scream in defiance, then... run like cowards.

I look around in confusion. "We need to get gear! Anything!"

Vabok, another citizen, sobs in confusion. "But we CAN'T! We can't have any more militia captains appointed until we elect the expedition leader again, as MrPervSan's dead."

"Oh FUCK ME, WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT!"

We dodge zombie arms and gnashing teeth. "It doesn't! It just... EVERY expedition dwarf knows this! It's tradition!"

"WELL FUCK. Fine!" I raised my voice. "HEY ARSEHOLES! ANYONE OBJECT TO VABOK BEING MAYOR?"

Screams and falling furniture returned my call.

"THERE! Vabok! You're expedition leader! LEAD!"

And like magic, we rushed forward as one to collect every weapon-like thing we could find and proceeded to lynch the few zombies inside.

Fucking tradition.

3rd of Limestone, year 251, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

Everyone's bruised up or severly injured in some way. We can't hold the surface against this.

We're hiding underground. It's the only way.

We've managed to pull in a good amount of meals and booze in after us. Everyone's worshiping at the temple, praying to any God they think will hear them from a bare-dirt and bronze room. At least the fucking turkey's are having a great time, boinking their minds out right next to us. We're being flooded with chicks.

Ghosts are starting to murmer through the walls. I feel like our doom is at hand.

12th of Limestone, year 251, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

We've left a few cracks in the ground where we can peer out. As undead clear away from the base, likely chasing weasles out in the country side, we send dwarves out to finish putting together a curtain wall around the second aquifer dig site. Our only way out of this is to get some decent stone we can make walls and overhangs out of. So far, we've made a little progress, but hope is at an all-time low. Still, not all is lost; everyone pitched in to help weave thread and bandages, and with some quick hands and water from the aquifer (at least it's good for SOMETHING), we're keeping the injured healthy, watered and fed.

In our desperation for companionship and comraderie, we've made a tavern of sorts underground; we etched in "The Deadly Cove" into the sandy walls, and bronze goblets are being shared around as we subsist on the booze that we have, plus a space for those who want to showcase some interpretive dance. Because, you know, we don't already fully understand how miserable we all are, hiding out underground.

Maybe something good will come of it, if nothing else but happy feelings.

30th of Limestone, year 251, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

I took the time to compile a list of our survivors.

Spoiler: Survivor Census (click to show/hide)

Maybe future generations will be able to make use of it in some fashion. We actually had the birth of a baby girl to celebrate during our horrid, dark stay underground. I fear for her development.

20th of Sandstone, year 251, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

I don't believe it. We actually have an intact wall now. We're sending people up on top to survey the area around us.

... I don't believe it. Our shitty tavern has been attracting visitors! How? One bard in particular hid inside, and we let him in to talk to us and provide us a bit of entertainment. According to him, a fair number of people, from warriors to bards, heard about Tombstake's new tavern from a variety of rumors and sources; he himself heard about it at another performance gig he had over a pint of  strawberry wine. What's more, the visiting warriors have been making progress in thinning out the undead horde! (With severe casualties, anyways). Thanks the Gods the necromancer who led them here is gone; otherwise, I doubt the meanace would have ever abated.

Not all is fair and well, however; we have a lot of unhappy people and sour moods, not to mention that the undead horde is still here - though rather less horde-y than before.

Spoiler: All That Remains (click to show/hide)

There's also the question: where in the hell did these rumors come from? No one's left the fortress... for now, I'm happy to call it a blessing, but a part of me can't help but feel something sinister is afoot. It doesn't help matters, that the dwarf to slot in the last sections of wood into our completed wall came back declaring himself to be 'whitcode.' Whatever that means, anyways. He's very, very confused, and not sure how he got here. I don't care if he's crazy now; if he can still work, he's got a pass in my book.

5th of Timber, year 251, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

Spoiler: OM NOM NOM NOM (click to show/hide)

We've done it. Somehow, we're coming back. Everyone can feel it, as we're putting things back together: Tombstakes is alive again!

And we have STONE. BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL STONE. It's not amazing or anything - some kind of sedimentary crap - but it could be petrified wood and everyone would be head over heels. Now we can get something DONE in this place.

We've still on very thin ground, all the same. Supplies are taken as soon as they're done. A rush to engrave slabs is underway, ere the ghosts of this place drive us all over the edge. And we're woefully short on hands and trained warriors. But now we have a CHANCE! Gods willing, the yearly dwarven caravan will clear out the last of the undead, and then we'll have some control over this area again.

The strange, unending possessions are troubling. Now that things have calmed down, I took it upon myself to question Qvatch, our master armorer, and... Whitcode at more length. Whatever happened to them has erased any memory they had of their former lives, beyond vague images and recollections. They seem to know eachother somehow, with matching descriptions of some kind of endless, black 'nothingness' from which they were thrust out of. I asked them if they were spirits of this place; a dangerous question, to be sure, but if it would be an issue, we needed to know now. Their answer both reassured me, and left me with many more questions, as they said they themselves were dwarves, understood our langue and ethos, and wished for the best for Tombstakes, but were unable to answer questions like "Where you were born?" or "Who was your monarch called?" Perhaps memories will return in time.

For now, we have more important concerns.

Spoiler: Everyone Who Survived (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:28:04 pm by OAOGigmaster »
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
Re: [DF Stream] Gig plays DF: NIGHTMARES (Streaming live NOW!)
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2017, 04:58:12 pm »

"Muffled seize the means of production in distance"
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
Re: [DF Stream] Gig plays DF: NIGHTMARES (Streaming live NOW!)
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2017, 05:54:55 pm »

"SEIZE THE MEANS OF PRODUCTION", screams the builder, who now calls himself stalin....
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

**Lore Post**

11th of Opal, year 251, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

Haven't had much time to write in this journal. Our work proceeds at a frenzied pace. Whereas before we were struggling to relieve ourselves of our boredom, entombed before our time in the dirt and mud, now everything is a wild frenzy in the bitter cold, Winter winds, in our attempt to shore up Tombstakes before the next disaster.

A detailed pencil sketch follows, with areas highlighted by the artist.

Spoiler: Progress! Of sorts (click to show/hide)

You can see here the new stoneworks of Tombstakes. Every ounce of rock we can dredge up is being consumed by the mason and mechanic shops springing up in the northern courtyard like weeds. We need every moment of their production, given what we just saw.

Over to the left is our new temple. We removed the statues and table adorning our previous, make-shift (and illegal per royal-writ) temple underground, and transferred it up to the memorial hall the builders have put together for us. Many bodies, both within the fort and without, were given their proper burial here, and citizens spend their breaks here, quietly reflecting on the horrors they have witnessed. I'm not ashamed to say that I've been saying a few prayers for the living as well. We've taken to calling it "The Earthen Shrine," in rememberance of our time spent trapped underground, and the drowned bodies of our workers that lay beneath the coffins' flooring.

To the right is our new depot. Unfortunately, in our haste to create a depot our kin's wagons can access, the last of those damned undead corposes made a fucking beeline for us and beat to death our head farmer and chef. Two more fine, upstanding dwarves lost to this nonsense... at least the zombies are dealt with: a baron consort of the kingdom, who had stopped by in response to those mysterious rumors regarding the Tavern That Never Was, decided to leave at the exact same time, and enacted swift retribution with her bismuth bronze spear.

The siege may be finally over, but other concerns still plague us. Shortly after the consort left, Kel, the dwarf who made the artifact earing for Tombstakes, was overcome in the same way Qvatch, whitman and the others were. Screaming something about "SEIZING THE MEANS OF PRODUCTION, COMRADES," he charged into the mines and began carefully allotting raw stone to each masonry shop in equal measure, saying that the workshop "proletariat" would each receive their just dues. He now answers to nothing else but Stalin; no family name, no title, just Stalin.

I looked up what 'proletariat' means, but could find nothing. Hopefully it doesn't mean 'Wearer of dwarf skin like a pair of socks.'

25th of Opal, year 251, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

The lads and lasses have gotten a decent drinking hole together.

They've taken to calling it "The Meaty Pillar of Joy," amidst soft snickers and laughter. While I can't... er, say many praises to the name, it does put a grin on my face to know that, somehow, everyone still has some humor about them.

If I didn't know better, I'd think that overly sensual Ryukan woman was still among us.

15th of Obsidian, year 251, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

Still no insanity, further disasters or undead. If we can get more people to migrate to Tombstakes - potentially unlikely, considering the danger - we'll be able to made a damned name for ourselves. As it is, we're still woefully light on hands.

Spoiler: The Masons Hunger (click to show/hide)

Nowhere is that more apparent then in the mines and mason's shops. We set stone blocks faster than we can make them, and our quarries beneath the aquifer run empty every day.

If we can't get more help, I fear for our fate.

Not that this hasn't stopped us from beginning other projects. We can only go forward from here. Seeing as though he seemed the most into leadership, this Stalin was able to sway everyone to his side rather quickly after our previous expedition leader and head farmer was eaten by zombies; shortly after, he drafted plans with our builders to set up a drainage of the river to the east.

Spoiler: DUTCH POWER (click to show/hide)

It's really quite simple, and will allow us to put constructions in place at the bottom of the brook's silty bed, but the reason is more complicated. We can only assume that more help will come; to decide otherwise is to wait for death. Given that, we must make plans now to expand the foundations of our fortress. This means establishing control over the brook. While it is an easy source for fishing and water, everyone worries that further attacks will use it's position to gain entry into the fortress.

Plus it gives us some dwarven engineering to do that DOESN'T come from needing to penetrate aquifers for stone. I think that alone perked everyone up a touch.

25thrd of Granite, year 251, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

Dozens of people. An entire crowd of migrants. I can't believe it. No one can believe it. By the fucking Gods, we're going to need to make beds again. Beds, out of wood. Instead of using it all to throw up barricades against zombie elves.

We can't believe our good fortune.

Spoiler: Current Survivors (click to show/hide)

As they arrive, I can't find any one of them that seems to exhibit the strange Renaming phenomenon; I think it only happens when dwarves actually live in the fortress. It seems benign - always has - but something still seems so... wildly out of place. In any normal situation, I wouldn't be able to sleep over this, but the recent nightmares of the past few months have given me a bit of perspective. I spotted several children among them, however. I've heard about this, but I still can't wrap my booze-soaked mind around the idea that some fucking parents would take their kids to the edge of a newly-founded, frontier fortress. Goblin snatching would be a quicker way to thin out family members.

We mingle for a bit, give these incredible people some drinks, news and a stiff pat on the back, then shove picks into most of their hands and tell them to get the work. We have no time to waste.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF Community Stream] Gig plays DF: NIGHTMARES (M @ 5:00 EST, 10:00 PM GMT)
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2017, 04:28:26 pm »

Stream's going live now for the next installment of Tombstakes! Let's get this shit show started.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: [DF Community Stream] Gig plays DF: NIGHTMARES (Live NOW!)
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2017, 06:14:30 pm »

Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF Community Stream] Gig plays DF: NIGHTMARES (Mondays @ 5:00 PM EST)
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2017, 11:02:32 am »

Thanks for the copy paste Gwolfski. That that infamy will live on... forever. XD.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2017, 11:05:58 am »

theimmortalryukan begins to saunter towards the thread
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2017, 02:25:09 pm »

gwolfski pulls out AK-47 with scope and observes.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF Community Stream] Gig plays DF: NIGHTMARES (TODAY @ 5:00 PM EST)
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2017, 01:35:53 pm »

Heya everyone! We'll be going live around 4-5 EST (9-10 GMT) today with another stream of Tombstakes! Really eager to get back into our Nightmares fortress! Hopefully that river has recovered after bleeding all over my diggers.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: [DF Community Stream] Gig plays DF: NIGHTMARES (Mondays @ 5 EST)
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2017, 11:32:20 pm »

Journal of Ryukan, Jedi-In-Training

Hello small dwarf book, here is the story of this host so far:

I took a hold of this poor dwarf in his house in the Mountainhomes. After I got over the nauseating pain that came with forcefully moving into another being's body, I began preparing to embark to that hell-hole of Tombstakes. I already lost one host there... and as unpleasant and "interesting" as that host was, it takes alot of power and concentration to move into a host. Anywho, as I was leaving, this host's family came home at that time and had shocked looks on their faces. I explained that I hated that woman and those children were evil and I was moving away. I took my bags and left them speechless in the house. I found out later that my host was happily married with a wife and two children... welp, not anymore. I took a detour, went to the public records office and used my "charm" to have the dwarf in charge "forget" the key to the place outside when he left.

When night came I went inside with the key he "accidentally" left and found my hosts records and proceed to shred my hosts marriage licences and his children's birth certificates. They may have a tough time looking for jobs, housing, or even spouses later in life, but that's not my problem anymore. I smirk as I leave the through the gates of the mountainhome to begin my journey to Tombstakes and resume my "game".

Journal of Ryukan, Jedi-In-Training

After months of trekking and meeting up with other immigrants, we arrive at Tombstakes. Its a little better than I remembered it. They had actually pierced that aquifer and had managed to build dorms for the poor dwarves here. They had a tavern with an odd name (I take no responsibility for it...). As my group approached we were welcomed by a new leader, a broker his title was. He began asking for our names... I panicked. I know using our magic on the mortal plane is prohibited but I needed to act fast, I realized that these dwarves knew my old host and that she had assumed the name Ryukan, so I did what I thought was best to conceal my identity, I cast a spell that fogged their memory about that one specific detail. They could remember the woman, they would still remember her... "interesting" life style. But her name would be a foggy haze. As he asked my for my name, I told him "Ryukan" he looked at me funny as if that name triggered a brief memory. But he shook his head and gave me an axe and pointed me to the "barracks" to train.

Now, after getting a good look at his place, I saw that my old host's contacts were still alive, well some were. I began to get them on my side again and I bribed a fellow named Ber to begin running for public office. I silently spread word of Ber through out the fort and soon, when elections were held for our first mayor, Ber was elected by a wide margin. Did I mention that he was also Broker and held another official spot whose title eludes me right now. Yeah, pretty much, this guys has broad powers with no over sight. I, of course, hold the real power, but I let him continue his delusions.

Now, my goal for this host, as you can probably see from the journal entries, is I want to become a Jedi Knight. I loved Star Wars back in Tombcrests and I chose this host for his intelligence and physical abilities. So I asked Ablel to build me my own private Barracks with a few bookshelves so I could become a Jedi Knight. He cast me a few looks and said yeah, if I wanted to train alone, it was probably for the better. As he walked off, he kept casting me weird glances. Probably thinks I'm a tad nuts... and he's probably right.

Well, after a brief incident with a Giantess and a Human Woman whose name will probably become legend here, I retire to my barracks to begin my training. Word has come of Adamantine in the Deep, so my goal just took a great leap of progress. I just need to train this body to learn the ways of the sword not the axe.

Until next time Journal.

P.S. I have cast a spell on this journal so in the case that this host's life functions stop, this book will teleport to my command Airship in the clouds where my true body lies in sleep.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[OOC: So, I used that memory spell to help clear up any continuity snarls from me using the same name for two different hosts. If you don't approve of it story-wise, just say so and I'll redo this journal entry]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:34:50 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF Community Stream] Gig plays DF: NIGHTMARES (Mondays @ 5 EST)
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2017, 02:51:15 pm »

@Ryukan: I'm okay with that, adds an interesting twist. Part of the lore is that people get 'dwarfed' after they arrive on site at the Nightmare fort; it's something about the area Other sets aside that draws lost dwarven souls back from the void. But the idea that Ryukan used a memory spell to retain events is neat, so keep it.

Whaz goin on with the airship? Is it from the OBA?

**Lore Post**

6th of Slate, year 252, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

With these new migrants, work is proceeding at a much better pace. I've included a picture of our current efforts to wrest control of the brook running through the area.

Spoiler: The Hoover BAM! (click to show/hide)

With this floodgate in place, Tombstakes will have direct control over both brook access and water flow. Access is important, as the fortress will likely reside atop the brook indefinitely. After the zombies were able to scale our walls, we're taking no chances.

Unlike earlier water-related projects, no dwarves have been lost or injured, though the river burst into blood when one miner hewed through a section of loose rock and scree in the river bed. Debate's still out on exactly how THAT happened; I just hope the poor lass doesn't get infected by anything.

We're also taking a keen eye on giving every dwarf in Tombstakes a decent place to live in. A few have grumbled about the size of our accommodations, but the reality is that our masons and laborers have only so much time to build. Larger rooms can come in time, but only if we're alive to build them.

It does strike me as a little odd that no one has attempted to build bedrooms underground. The idea has come up in meetings, but discussion on it has always been short lived or forgotten, like some great fatigue is weighing down on our minds. Even now, a strange... aversion to the idea grips me.

Mayhaps this is supernatural, in which case I suspect it is tied to the strange identities some citizens are clinging to. Needs further investigation when we're safer.

Spoiler: Dwarven Lego Factory (click to show/hide)

Our masons work night and day to produce the building material needed to feed our pace of construction. Everyone now finds it common place to be able to secure mine-able stone and ore using the passageway secured by the brilliant and passed-on Rovod, but I still remember the meager days and trials from before. How quickly habits change!

30th of Felsite, year 252, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

Great dwarven thinkers have often remarked that nothing is eternal, not even the stone we rest upon. The same could be said for our safety, I'd wager.

The bells are rung as before, calling people in as a strange, scuttling were-creature with glowing eyes breaks over the horizon once again.

But this time, the transformed creature is allured not by dwarven flesh or animal, but by the stone walls of our pump stations. And by allured, I mean FUCKING TRANSFIXED BY. I can't remember the last time a frightful creature of the night found something as normal as squared stone blocks so interesting.

The creature sat there, gazing longingly (one can only assume, anyways) at our stone work... then transformed as the moon passed out of sight into a scrawny, naked human. Several dwarves chased after it, determined to pummel the stupid thing senseless for scaring the shit out of us, but the human scuttled away, happy to have witnessed WALL at least once in it's life.

Of greater threat to us, in a sense, is our new construction of the walls Tombstakes will soon fill. It's apparent to everyone that our current size cannot remain, and that eventual expansion will be key to securing our lives and our fortunes.

As we build and expand, travelers are coming to enjoy a respite at our.... unfortunately-named tavern, as well as paying respects at the Earthen Temple. One human female named Artha - a lasher and mercenary by her looks - is especially notable, and has taken a habit to walking along our south-eastern wall at night, patrolling and looking for... something, it would seem. As long as it poses us no risk, I see no reason to interrupt Artha.

Spoiler: Bridge to Dwarfithia (click to show/hide)

Our main concern is that by building the news walls, we're making fresh means of climbing ingress to the parkour zombies the necromancers brought before. We've decided to leave one path transversible, but setup three different doors to secure it for the time being.

6thth of Malachite, year 252, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

It has come to my attention that more dwarves have taken these... strange names. Even stranger is the return of KlayKree, who was mauled by that were-zebra not a year before! I sat this... being for a long time in a corner of the fortress, and grilled him as best I could. He remembers his assumed name (obviously), and fragments of his life and death before, but still nothing of his life before he took on his new name - and, according to him, everything else. The dwarves taking these names, it seems, assume not just a name, but everything not tied to the body they inhabit - past memories, experiences, lives exist as some sort of hazy recollection or dream, though some of the natural skills of their host remain. My heart is chilled, journal; it seems that the dwarves struck this way cease to be. Is their soul lost? Pushed aside? Were they these new... people... all along? Are we being consumed one by one? Klaykree and the others say they harbor no ill will, but I lie awake at night in my small but snug bedroom, staring at the freshly laid walls, tracing the brick work and brooding on these questions. I know a handful of others do, as well.

When asked how he came back, KlayKree said that he simply had the strength of will to do so. He seemed... confused on this point, but it seems these dwarven beings can only enter our world by willpower alone.

23rd of Limestone, year 252, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

More migrants have traveled the path to Tombstakes, eager to start a new life!

Spoiler: Nice, Steady Growth (click to show/hide)

It's perfect for our situation. Ten dwarves is not a great number, compared to previous bands of migrants. While our drink situation is not great - we spent much of the early part of year 252 drinking water - we can easily keep ten more fed and housed...

One moment. People are shouting downstairs about something coming towards the fortress, ringing bells and screaming for the rest of the migrants to run inside. I-

When will it FUCKING END! Just ONE piece of good news without something AWFUL happening to us! FUCKING...

Okay. I'm better now. Deep breaths.

Rukku has already reached our walls. Migrants are still coming in; a brave dwarf from our crossbow recruits runs out to try and delay her advance, but without proper gear or armor, he is little more than an interruption for the angry, territory-maddened giantess. He and one of our migrants are flattened instantly as she rampages outside.

A human voice, a female voice, calls out moments later, a ringing cry of challenge. It's the lasher - Artha! Has she been waiting here this whole time to fight Rukku?

If that's true, it's a fucking godsend. We've been setting up smithies and furnaces, but we still lack proper military gear. Artha's our only hope.

Spoiler: Whip it GOOD (click to show/hide)

And she's a fucking phenomenon! A few errant swings by the giantess catch her off guard, but Artha lacks significant damage. Rukku, on the other hand, suffers multiple breaks and chips to her bones as Artha's whip licks and lashes out, cutting through hair and flesh and sending arcs of giant blood around the brook. Her weakened state is obvious, as a dwarf runs by and effortlessly bats aside a fumbling strike from the giant as he escapes into the fort.

Seeing this, many dwarves pile out of the gates screaming defiance, determined to help Artha with their fists, teeth and feet. Their help comes at the perfect time; Artha suffers her first major would as the giantess flails about and catches her scalp between her jaws. With a sickening, ripping sound, Rukku pulls away most of Artha's hair, leaving a blood-soaked forehead behind, but as she does so, she's driven to her knees by frustrated, furious dwarves pummeling her with little more than their determination to live.

In horrible pain, Artha still manages to stand upright, and with Rukku's prone form in her sights, she shoots out one last pin-point strike of her whip.

The giantess, Rukku, is dead. Artha stands victorious, if wounded.

Dozens of dwarves drag her away, oblivious to her wounds, and press drinks and praise upon her. Artha can do little more than bandage her head and sit down as back-slaps and mugs press upon her.

I can only hope she decides to stick around. That's one human I wouldn't mind keeping close by.

20th of Sandstone, year 252, from the desk of Ablel Basenrakust, broker of Tombstakes

Spoiler: A Snug Fit (click to show/hide)

Ryukan has also come back, like KlayKree, taking the form of one our untrained thanes - and a brilliant lass, at that. Perhaps influenced by the fight of Artha and the giantess, she seems rather subdued this time, asking for a small space to read, meditate and practice on her own. I see little reason to say no, and Staling concurs; we need more able-bodied fighters. Ryukan now refers to herself as something called a 'Jedi.' More of these strange words. I can only hope this one means "Faithful and loving protector of the fortress, and master at keeping every citizen's blood inside their bodies."

Spoiler: CANDY CANDY CANDY (click to show/hide)

A feeling excitement fills the air, if tempered with sense. Word from below has it that the mineral of the gods, the ur-metal, the perfect material has been found: adamantine. It is far below, and perhaps in the future we'll be able to succeed where so many others have failed. But for now, we have other concerns. We lack the work force to make good use of the metal anyways.

Perhaps when Tombstakes stands in it's completed glory, we will revisit this wonder. For now though, other tasks beckon.

I am taking notes of our current situation as Autumn begins to wane before Winter's advance. Tombstakes fares well, though on shakey ground. Production of military goods has begin under Qvatch's tools, though the quantity of wood we burn to do so is staggering. Before we can enter into a greater industrial output, we need to secure a source of mechnical power and access to the heat of magma for our forges, but both of these things are preceded in importance by the need to secure Tombstakes long-term against invaders and finish the monumental task of constructing the fortress proper, complete with towers, gate house and spires, not to mention better living space, areas for workshops and activity areas.

But Tombstakes lives. Tombstakes endures. And if we endure long enough, perhaps we can make something great from this place.

Spoiler: Citizenship Rolls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status Screen (click to show/hide)

twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF Community Stream] Gig plays DF: NIGHTMARES (LIVE NOW!)
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2017, 03:58:58 pm »

Live now with NIGHTMARE MODE! Let the quintuple phallus palace rise to GREAT HIEGHTS!
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6