Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: In Production  (Read 13578 times)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: Announced!
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 06:16:20 pm »

One thing that these new games have is economy. Lights may not be the best choice in some circumstances, but they may be the only thing available/affordable to the player's unit.

Lore-wise I think that's a big factor for light mechs, as the Great Houses can't afford to run a 12 assault-mech company (unless you're a Lyran :P )

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 06:18:52 pm »

Pretty sure that all the great houses run assault companies, multiples of them at that, Davion and Steiner both adore assault class mechs.  Merc units on the other hand are lucky if they can afford to field one.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 06:21:30 pm »

For Mercs, sure, cost is a huge factor. For the great houses cost is probably sometimes a factor (you can't do assault lances ALL the time) as well as needing Mechs to act as scouts, spotters, and anti-vehicle/infantry.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 06:22:53 pm »

Actually from what I recall, availability is a much bigger factor for the Great Houses, if you can't produce assaults locally then you're limited to what you can scrounge from battlefields and caches.  But, yeah, you've got to have a well rounded loadout of weights.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 06:26:10 pm »

Pretty sure that all the great houses run assault companies, multiples of them at that, Davion and Steiner both adore assault class mechs.  Merc units on the other hand are lucky if they can afford to field one.

You're definitely correct - I should have said divisions or armies or something instead! :)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 06:29:10 pm »

Not sure that even the Star League fielded entire assault divisions, but I might be wrong.  That said, if some one did field an entire division of 80-100 ton mechs, I think they would pretty much win the succession wars (for a while at least.)  ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:32:29 pm by NullForceOmega »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 06:33:47 pm »

Mediums are generally used if your trying to make an attack mech on the cheap.

Lights have their purpose but that typically isn't direct confrontational combat.

Not sure that even the Star League fielded entire assault divisions, but I might be wrong.

Probably not. Heavies are not to be underestimated.

That said, if some one did field and entire division of 80-100 ton mechs, I think they would pretty much win the succession wars (for a while at least.)  ;)

There typically are enough assaults for someone to field an entire division of them. But there are serious limitations involved that make it unadvantagous.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 06:37:55 pm »

That was the point Neo, if they could field a division, they would be fairly close to unstoppable, fielding a division isn't the same as assembling one, sure they have the numbers, but they can't reliably deploy them where needed due to lack of dropships, jumpships, and the need to distribute forces so they are able to adequately defend against threats and prosecute attacks.

Also, heavies are really situational, but that can be a good thing.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:40:06 pm by NullForceOmega »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 07:23:40 pm »

As always, matters of war come down to logistics.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2016, 07:08:33 am »

I'm super excited for the fifth Mechwarrior game. They keep comparing it to Mechwarrior 1 but that comparison is a little lost on me, I never played that one (I was 5 when it came out, I'm not sure if we even had a computer).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2016, 09:16:36 am »

"One thing we've learned over is just to be cautious with expectations with our playerbase," he says. "We want to make sure we're really certain about things before they go out."
"We got burned hard from over-hyping and cash-milking MWO, maybe we actually learned something about PR from that."

While there will be a loose story and some pivotal story moments during the campaign, MechWarrior 5 is first and foremost a sandbox-esque game where players have the freedom to choose where to go, which houses to fight for, and how to equip their soldiers.
But since Mechwarrior 2 onward, there was not nearly as much of the freedom and replayability that we want to go for. There should be very little in the form of like, 'I have three missions to choose from and that's it.'
Okay if it turns out looking even half-decent they've got my money. Endless free-roam is my favorite style of gameplay. I hope they have a setup where the timeline advances based on completion of key story missions.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is completely standalone and won't have any microtransactions, Bullock tells me. Instead, the game will be a "you pay full price, you get the game, you're done" kind of deal. Developed in Unreal 4, MechWarrior 5 is being made by a separate team than the one working on MechWarrior Online at Piranha, which has been publicly available since late 2012. It will be self-published, and there is no plan to utilize a platform like Steam's Early Access to release the game in an unfinished state. "I can't really see anyway that will work for this game," Bullock says.
Ye gods, they have learned! Okay, I'm definitely interested now.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2016, 09:36:49 am »

I just hope you won't just play on the same 5 maps in endless mode with special maps only for the story missions.
And I hope for proper planetary campaigns, where you have some sort of overview map on how your forces are doing, if it is a full scale invasion.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2016, 09:39:25 am »

I'm still not getting too hyped until I see a lot more gameplay footage - I've got a sneaking suspicion this is in extremely, extremely early alpha (all using reused assets in an extremely small space) and they're just waiting to see what response it gets until they commit fully to it.

I can't imagine that Piranha games are big enough to field two full sized game teams without serious pre-investment or completely taking all coders off MWO, and so they'd need to be extra sure they're happy to go dedicate themselves to it. I guess I've just been burned so many times by this kinda stuff

@Rince Wind: They've said they'll have procedurally generated planets/missions, so I wouldn't worry about it being exactly the same, although how good their PG stuff is will be a big sticking point.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2016, 10:16:16 am »

More mechs?

Cool.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9