Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: In Production  (Read 14193 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: In Production
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2019, 07:57:20 am »

Warranted necro! Game is coming out in an hour. Seems we're getting 50+ chassis with multiple variants for most. I tried not to spoil myself too much, but I do know the AI in the beta was a bit on the dumb side of things and although mod support was delayed, the game is supposed to eventually be fully moddable so anything's possible at that point I guess. I'm pretty hyped.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2019, 09:47:14 am »

Warranted necro! Game is coming out in an hour. Seems we're getting 50+ chassis with multiple variants for most. I tried not to spoil myself too much, but I do know the AI in the beta was a bit on the dumb side of things and although mod support was delayed, the game is supposed to eventually be fully moddable so anything's possible at that point I guess. I'm pretty hyped.

I'm kind of hoping that this game is not too bad out of the gate. It's been too long since we had a mechwarrior game, but it's been getting a lot of um... negativity because it's by the same devs as MWO and since the announcement of the epic exclusivity.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2019, 11:07:56 am »

I think the announcement video also showed at least one mech that didn't fit the era (in the fight between a shadowhawk and another mech or two). Although mistakes like that also fit under problems with the developer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2019, 11:38:29 am »

Ooooooooooooooooooo.

Haven't played a SP Mechwarrior game since like......Ghost Bear's Legacy. I'm interested to hear what people think of MW5 Mercenaries.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2019, 11:52:47 am »

A Youtube reviewer who I find relatively reliable has his review up.

In short: decently free-form campaign, some surprisingly good management stuff (e.g. limited & more expensive supplies in the conflict zones wherein you get contracts and fight), the stompy mechs are fun, but AI (both friendly and enemy) is terrible. If you really want some battletech stompy fun this'd scratch that itch, but it's not exquisite.

His overall rating is "wait for a sale," which I think I'll likely do. My gaming platter is already full enough.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2019, 11:56:42 am »

Well, it's an EGS exclusive so that already means I'll be waiting quite a while.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2019, 01:39:48 pm »

If I turn all the settings down to low, do you think this will run on my laptop’s crappy intel GPU, or would it be lag/stutter city?

If I recall correctly, I could play MWO on low, at least well enough to get killed by clan scum in my crappy starter 3025 IS ‘Mech.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2019, 03:07:57 pm »

at least well enough to get killed by clan scum in my crappy starter 3025 IS ‘Mech.

This guy doesn't Hunchback 4P
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2019, 03:10:10 pm »

at least well enough to get killed by clan scum in my crappy starter 3025 IS ‘Mech.

Is that the terrible model with twice as many lasers as it can sink?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2019, 03:24:04 pm »

Is that the terrible model with twice as many lasers as it can sink?

Eh?  MechDB says a stock 4P's alpha only takes it to 42% heat in MWO.  Even in tabletop it generates 24 heat and sinks 23.

If anything the 4P is pretty decent for a IS mech straight out-of-the-box.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2019, 03:28:46 pm »

No, I was in a stock Thunderbolt and on a wide-open map, so I got picked off from beyond my range.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2019, 03:50:47 pm »

I feel like MWO lost a lot of appeal for me after they introduced clan mechs. Not that they're not cool, it just broke my immersion that they'd be sprinkled in on each team with IS units.

That and I was... not very good. But that's partly because I almost always just ran with a laser-boat jenner, not unlike a hunchback-4P :P

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2019, 06:47:34 pm »

Never dis a swayback, those buggers will melt your arms off before you can finish your sentence.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2019, 10:36:29 pm »

Never dis a swayback, those buggers will melt your arms off before you can finish your sentence.

The LRM one's a little lame.

Also, I'll dis the fact that the heavy PPC exists yet there was never a hunchback variant that used one.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2019, 10:31:29 am »

Played a bit of this last night, through the tutorial and the first campaign mission. It feels good, if a little clunky in places.

The Good:
- It's pleasantly stompy and simulation-y. Feels a bit less arcade than MW4, but not quite as granular are MW2/3. There's a difference in feel between Light and Medium mechs at the very least. Haven't yet tried anything larger. The control scheme is fairly intuitive (though I'm pretty well practiced) as well.

- Weapons all seem to work like how you expect them to, though I haven't used everything out there yet (no PPCs or LBX autocannons if those exist). Lasers linger for a bit, adding some benefit to aiming skill, while your autocannons are delightfully punchy.

- Every mission has a fairly large set of stats, all visible before drop, which does seem to affect a number of both aesthetic and gameplay traits. Frozen worlds feel cold and stark, and so on. Your cockpt glass even gets little bits of frost on the edges.

- Paint jobs are fairly varied and allow for a decent amount of customization. These paint jobs, unlike in MWO, are very visible in-game, both in the mech lab and out in the field.

- I've kinda hit on this with prior points, but the whole game feels dedicated to a feel of immersion. The inside of each mech cockpit is noticeably different so far and draw you into the world, especially when explosions and lasers are reflecting light inside the pit. The mechs scale accurately and even Light mechs are massive when you're walking around at their feet in the mech bay.

- The voice acting is actually pretty good, so far. Not every line is delivered with cinematic gusto, but nothing has been terrible, which is nice. Some of the voice acting actually manages to reach from good to great.

- I haven't look at the tools yet, but modding support seems to be in right out of the gate. I expect we'll be seeing a lot of cool stuff in that realm fairly quickly.

The Meh:
- The graphics are not modern by any standards. This isn't something that bothers me too much, and it doesn't look bad, but don't go in expecting photorealism for sure. I do also notice that it seems... blurry? Pixelated in a weird way, at the same time, as well. I've fiddled with all the graphics options and nothing quite seems to help: changing the resolution, scale, and sharpness filter doesn't seem to affect it much. It's more annoying than terrible, though.

- The story, thus far, is largely forgettable. It's serviceable. It's accurate to the lore (actually, add respecting the lore to the Good section). It's not egregious in any way. But it's not up to the level of any of the better Battletech novels by any means. Granted, I'm not far in, so maybe it delves into stuff more as we go.

- Enemy AI so far isn't anything special. Again, early into the campaign. But so far it's been nothing but tanks and vtols pathing fairly randomly. Seems to be more a matter of quantity over quality. It's not the worst thing ever, but I am expecting that complex tactics aren't going to factor in. Again, it's fine, but you might find it disappointing.

- Loading times can get kinda long. I have a ton of ram and a good HDD, so I imagine the levels are just large. It can go for a couple minutes depending on the mission, it seems.

- Lastly, the terrain/building destruction just feels weird. Buildings, trees, rocks, etc. all feel like they're paper mache and it seems a bit arbitrary whether you can walk through any given obstruction or not, and whether you'll be damaged. I would honestly have preferred weapon-only destruction or to have it be limited to small objects, but I get the appeal.

- This is just a personal thing, but I really wish you could scan more things. I miss being able to manually target buildings to see what was inside. I don't think this has been a thing at all since MW3, and even then it was more limited than MW2's (frankly amazing) level of detail.

Overall, I haven't run into anything particularly bad, and the good is actually pretty solid. I'm enjoying myself and can't wait to wrap up work today and get back into the game.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9