Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decaying Food / Sawmill  (Read 1371 times)

aethe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Decaying Food / Sawmill
« on: December 04, 2016, 05:58:12 pm »

Long time fan, first time poster.

I'm playing MW 43.03 in Fortress mode as the dwarfs and had two questions.

Did the Sawmill get removed? I could have sworn this was still in a few builds ago but in my newest games I can't seem to find it.  I found it useful for mass producing planks to make above ground buildings (Surface based, haunted biome challenges).

Also, how quickly does food rot in the "Decaying Food" setting? I had started a new game with ample food, but was in for a rude awakening when all of the starting food rotted/vanished mid-Fall, both plants and seeds (We rapidly became a fishing fortress).  What is the time frame on food rotting with the Decaying Foods setting and are there certain forms of food that will last longer?

Thanks

ps. Love the new graphic set.  And I miss turrets and magic.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:47:11 am by aethe »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Decaying Food / Sawmill
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 10:45:39 pm »

1st question: its the wood splitting block, I is the hotkey.

2nd question: its a DFHACK script:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

at best I would say it destroys things when 3 periods of (24+rand(8)) which would be an answer of 24x3 to 32x3 = 72 to 96 .... I'm assuming that's days, as I think,         @onupdate = df.onupdate_register('deterioratefood', 1200, 1200) { process } is telling it to run once every day(1200 ticks per day).... I'm not completely sure because I've not dug that far into ruby scripts or DFHack, or ticks.  But 72-96 days is my bet and I'm sure someone will confirm that, or correct me if I'm off because of something I didn't understand.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

aethe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 09:47:28 am »

Ahh thank you, very helpful.  72-96 days seems in the ballpark of when my food vanished.  Also glad to know seeds arn't affected, I was spam farming because I was afraid my seeds would rot as well.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 07:36:35 pm »

yeah its not hard to work with, I just never really used it much.  I would keep an eye on your hunters and fishers, so they don't suddenly fish and hunt the zone dry and then leave you stuck chewing plump helmets.... 
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal