Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I make any adventurer be invincible and unblockable?  (Read 3728 times)

randomAsPi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do I make any adventurer be invincible and unblockable?
« on: December 05, 2016, 12:56:27 pm »

A game is made out of code. Written correctly, that code can do anything in game. So, what I'm asking is not whether it's possible to bypass dwarf fortress's rules; it's whether it's feasible. Please keep in mind: I have a lot of time on my hands, am a computer programmer and think I can find help.

If I want to be invincible, in game, it's not the materials my creature is made of that's the problem; it's the game's capacity to damage my creature. If I want to be unblockable, my skill level isn't the problem; it's the capacity for the game to make my attacks blocked. If I switched those capacities off, I would be both invincible and unblockable. If I made the game generate and display unseen places, I could see the hidden places on the map. If I want to teleport my creature, I could change its in-game coordinates.

Is there a feasible way I can write hacks into dwarf fortress that bypass the game logic like this, maybe using DFHack?

Thank you.

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make any adventurer be invincible and unblockable?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 01:27:56 pm »

Did you have any luck with the suggestion in your other post?
Caselabs S8 : Intel i5-12600K / 64Gb DDR4 3600 / Asus 1080 Ti / Samsung 980PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX1200i / APC SMT1500I / Windows 11

Caselabs X2M NAS 24Tb : Intel i3-8300 / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS ROG Strix H370-I / 4x WD Red 8Tb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Corsair AX860i / APC SMT1000I / unRAID Plus 6.11.5

randomAsPi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 05:08:16 pm »

Kind of. But I still don't know how to make an adventurer unblockable, especially supernaturally. Even the Armok mod doesn't allow for an unblockable adventurer that can kill anything in the game, without fail. What I'm after is to have abilities that break the rules of the game; to be above all else. I'll try script writing.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 08:35:07 pm »

Currently I know of no way to make your adventurer unblockable and truly invincible. To do that you would need to change the equations that govern combat and that's not something DFHack can do. I suppose you could make a script that gives all the units around you a block action with a long cooldown so they can't block again (could do the same for dodge and parry) but you would need to trigger that fairly regularly since movement resets action cooldowns. You could do the same for attack actions so they never attack you, but that's about it. We just don't have access to the inner workings of combat.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 08:43:55 pm »

Uh, one of my fully buffed dorfs (not dwarf, actually called dorfs, making use of the steel+ property dragon bone/hide material template) with their skills up can literally kill anything and just stand there laughing as things try to hit it, and shrug off anything that does hit it besides like, hyperspeed impacts with a wall.

Tossing in stuff like the onepunch script I did so people could pingpong someone around the screen, blocking simply doesn't enter into the equation when you're knocking giant animals flying across the screen with crushed skulls.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 09:47:10 am »

But you aren't fully invincible. Throw enough guys at once and you will get tired, then exhausted, fall unconscious, and eventually they will get a lucky hit in.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 09:49:04 am »

Could you make your character a ghost with DFHack? IIRC, they can't be harmed.

But you aren't fully invincible. Throw enough guys at once and you will get tired, then exhausted, fall unconscious, and eventually they will get a lucky hit in.
Vamps and necros don't tire.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 10:46:36 am »

Being a ghost means you can't attack people either, though you can still breathe fire and such.

If you don't have a flight gait you run the risk of being stuck in mid-air as the game spams time forwards kinda like being in a cage.
Yeah, no, literally the only way to do it would be throw enough guys that the game freezes when one of them tries to attack, and even then I've only actually seen it freeze if I tried to aim an attack at the same time dozens of them did.

Like here, I had to carefully jump out of the middle of this pile:

Not because I was worried about dying, but because if I didn't do it right the game would just freeze when I hit the 20+ foes swinging point and I attacked one.

Just like later, where some of them tried to break off and flee, I had to avoid getting surrounded, not because I could die, but because they could freeze me if 20+ foes tried to hit me while I was attacking one of them:

That is the only thing that slowed down the progression of fighting this army until the end:

They could never kill me, and many of these dudes were weapon masters using my steel+ wood templates for their gear.

This is well past the point where I'm worried about the things enemies can do, and running up against the literal limits of the game engine. If I bumped into these armies while I was moving around it just crashes the game to desktop, I tested it several times by trying to set up a way where I could end up getting ambushed by these dudes:

Even after cutting down on their number significantly, still no luck:

Had I bumped into them instead of leaving travel mode and letting them walk onscreen, it would crash every time.

Heck, these are modded elves who had various tweaks (and beards!) which I later disabled all hand-to-hand attacks from so they would only use their superior weapon/shield strikes (mostly because I wanted to just bash/hack them with my weapons to speed it up) and it was still a matter of "twenty or so simultaneous aimed attacks=freeze" as the only danger.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 06:36:57 am »

Currently I know of no way to make your adventurer unblockable and truly invincible. To do that you would need to change the equations that govern combat and that's not something DFHack can do. I suppose you could make a script that gives all the units around you a block action with a long cooldown so they can't block again (could do the same for dodge and parry) but you would need to trigger that fairly regularly since movement resets action cooldowns. You could do the same for attack actions so they never attack you, but that's about it. We just don't have access to the inner workings of combat.

Sparking works entirely by modifying attack actions as they happen. It even makes some attacks nigh undodgable if one unit has a much higher ki than the other.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 09:30:48 am »

be a wagon, like straight up wagons or equipment wagon token just grants you immunity from all melee damage, you still get hit with interactions, curses, dusts, range attacks.
which is where you go with B you make a sponge wagon person with grasp and stroll around the world being 90% immune the 10% comes from stuff mention and normal DF actions that straight up kill folks like encasing or cave ins or sliding or colliding into stuff so hard your limbs explode or falling into a chasm.

then once your mostly immortal you soon realize Crud I became immortal in the version of adventure mode where adventurers can't really do any unique changes to the world that isn't kill everyone. and at most

unblockable is done through webbing the person or knocking them out so that they can't block your attacks. basically be a wizard and cast "organ failure" and necrotic folks brains or heads.

or uhh learn the convo tree manipulation and gain access to targeted kill commands via banishing
max showing off  Slaves of armok dwarf dynasty Warriors screencaps
god damn my heart, my pc's heart, I can never get use to seeing Max fight that many people. that's lord of the rings army invasions max is ending.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 02:27:49 pm »

I have no clue how I keep making them like that, and yeah you can't just wade in without freezing.

The power word: kill is definitely a neat trick, and I use tricks I learned from looking through sparking for my supercrit script.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 05:12:01 pm »

Wait do you have discipline set to beyond default numbers on your races? because that there pumps out alot more warriors in world gen also makes any criminal action a straight up get out of town the whole place wants you dead.
like turns every peasant into a mercenary or guard or bandit and or weapon lords.
that said, modding a mega cheaty godtier race means some day you will wander into another and be prepared to have FUN.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 07:46:25 pm »

I do have higher discipline numbers actually, is that where these armies are coming from? Fascinating.

I added in sabertooths that are a bit too strong to be semi-megabeasts but put them in to play with, forgetting I used the lion/giant lion template to build on, bumped into two "wild" ones earlier, thankfully fully powered up, but that is how I know they're a good deal more dangerous than the general semimegas I have, and makes me wonder why I haven't tried having clusters of "wild" minotaurs and rocs.