Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bitches and Gripes  (Read 1168 times)

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bitches and Gripes
« on: December 06, 2016, 11:39:47 am »

I love dwarf fortress, but there are so many things about it that are just so unprofessional and amatuerish.  I feel like the DF community has come a long way since its inception and that we should try holding ourselves to a higher standard, its time we all come into our own as programmers and start adding some polish.

Everybody has something about DF that drives them absolute batshit, its fun to play but it can be a grind.

Heres a list of crap that I would take a hammer to, in no particular order:

1) Being able to designate things for trade in the stocks menu
2) Being able to search through the stocks menu without having to hit tab
3) Including the basic workshop functions in the raws instead of hardcoding them so that they can be removed easily for custom mods
4) I always get shit for this, but... standardized materials.  For the love of god, I'm sick to death of organizing my socks!  Wood is wood is wood!  Unless its supposed to be worth more or has some sort of special property, whats the point of having 100 different types of wool, leather, wood, meat, bones, ect.?  At the very least streamline it to poultry, beef, pork, jerky (Carnivores are stringy and lean and don't make good livestock), fish ect.
5) More than 1 milk and 1 hide per creature for large creatures
6) Integrate Therapist into the UI!  NOBODY wants to fuck with the tedious micromanagement of manually changing labors 1 at a time in-game, only noobs and autists do it that way.
7) Alphabetize the damn menus!
8) Don't make players use a different key for the same action!  If you're going to use the arrow keys and page up and page down to scroll, use it on all the menus!  Don't make me use the damn number pad like I'm learning how to use a keyboard...
9) Speaking of which, hotkeys are sort of garbage to begin with.  DF should use mouse controls and icon interfaces, only using hotkeys to supplement the controls.
10) Artifacts are frustratingly useless, despite being one of the better role playing aspects of the fortress.  The player is Armok, right?  So shouldn't he have some say in what kind of artifacts his dwarves create?  After all, isn't HE inspiring their vision with divine inspiration?  Wouldn't it be kind of cool to have at least some limited control over what kind of artifact you're dwarves produce?
11) Archery Practice has been broken since v34.xx.  When am I going to be able to train my archers?  When am I going to be able to mix my training ammo with my combat ammo and have it work as intended?
12) Why do we keep adding new content instead of patching up broken features and bugs?  Bins, Bags and Barrels are still super broken.
13) I think there should be a way to assign a squad to a burrow from the squads screen
14) Most of the new plants and trees are bloat.  A basic selection of fruits and vegetables is fine, you don't need 5 types of wheat.  I miss when we only had the core plants and crops and everything had sort of a dwarfy name, even if rope reeds were basically just hemp.
15) I hate the library system.  None of the knowledges actually do anything or contribute anything to the game.  Making paper is unnecessarily complicated and the text gets cut off when you make a book out of written pages.  Its added another complication to an already complicated game that doesn't really do anything.
16) Temples, likewise, are just another addition to the already lengthy list of dwarven needs.  Both libraries and temples are neat ideas, in theory, but neither is really implemented all that well.
17) I think there should be some way to integrate meeting halls and taverns.  I'm not sure if dwarves get a happy thought from eating in a tavern the same way they do with a meeting hall, but I dislike having to designate both a meeting area and a meeting hall in the same area.
18) If kennels are no longer going to be used would it be too much to ask to remove them from the menu?
19) I feel like seige engines are just set peices.  They hardly work at all.

Well, shit.  I guess I just had to get that out of my system.  More to come if I think of it.

*ringring feels better after yelling at a noble*

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Bitches and Gripes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 12:01:08 pm »

BEFORE POSTING A SUGGESTION
• Check our development pages. You can find everything in one place at this link.
• Search for an existing thread. If you find a thread similar to your idea, you can bump it to expand on the suggestion, even if the thread is old.  However, please do not bump threads just to show support.

Very literally every single item you brought up has been addressed before, either by Toady himself or another suggestion.  Many of theses items are already highly ranked on the eternal suggestion list.

The suggestion forum is not a place to bitch and whine, it is a place to pitch ideas to improve the game.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 12:07:45 pm »

Also, here is a small list of things I would add to the base game:

1) Toys that train skills.
2) The ability to plant and grow bamboo for charcoal.
3) Compost Piles/ Chamber Pots.  (Burning wood for potash is a inefficiant way to make fertilizer)
4) The ability to make 4 wood, glass, and ceramic blocks from 1 unit of wood/glass/clay, and making 4 metal blocks at a time from 4 bars instead of 4 separate block making jobs
5) Magma Wells and Magma Ponds (Pump Stacks are just.. blech!)
6) Have coins trade at the depot for what they do in adventurer mode
7) Drinkable milk/ Water Barrels

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 12:15:02 pm »

Hey c'mon man, don't censor me just cause you don't like what I'm saying.  These are legitimate criticisms that have NOT been addressed.  Writing a memo in a dev blog and changing a feature aren't the same thing.  People should have a right to criticism a game when most of the development is done for free by the community and by volunteer 3rd party developers.

Telling your players to fuck off when they got a problem with your game isn't a good way to address your community.

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 12:35:34 pm »

Besides, a criticism and a suggestion are often the same thing.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 02:20:25 pm »

1,2,6,7,19 have DFHack fixes.

3) Including the basic workshop functions in the raws instead of hardcoding them so that they can be removed easily for custom mods
Bringing stuff to the raws is an ongoing project.
4) I always get shit for this, but... standardized materials.
Modest Mod.
5) More than 1 milk and 1 hide per creature for large creatures
There might be a mod for this.
10) Artifacts are frustratingly useless, despite being one of the better role playing aspects of the fortress...
There are ways of micro-managing this. It's probably on the wiki. Strange moods will be replaced eventually.
11) Archery Practice has been broken since v34.xx.  When am I going to be able to train my archers?  When am I going to be able to mix my training ammo with my combat ammo and have it work as intended?
This was fixed. Dwarves now hold both at once.
12) Why do we keep adding new content instead of patching up broken features and bugs?  Bins, Bags and Barrels are still super broken.
Bug fixes follow each major release.
14) Most of the new plants and trees are bloat.  A basic selection of fruits and vegetables is fine, you don't need 5 types of wheat.  I miss when we only had the core plants and crops and everything had sort of a dwarfy name, even if rope reeds were basically just hemp.
You can mod them out. I think some were added as donation requests?
15) I hate the library system.  None of the knowledges actually do anything or contribute anything to the game.
Certain books can shift personalities. The titles can be funny.
17) I think there should be some way to integrate meeting halls and taverns.
Taverns are designated from meeting halls. Can't get more integrated than that.
18) If kennels are no longer going to be used would it be too much to ask to remove them from the menu?
They're used for trapping and taming vermin, for anybody inclined to do that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 02:23:32 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 07:36:54 pm »

Hey c'mon man, don't censor me just cause you don't like what I'm saying.  These are legitimate criticisms that have NOT been addressed.  Writing a memo in a dev blog and changing a feature aren't the same thing.  People should have a right to criticism a game when most of the development is done for free by the community and by volunteer 3rd party developers.

Telling your players to fuck off when they got a problem with your game isn't a good way to address your community.
Most of the development is done for free by the community???!!!!

Please go find out what Dwarf Fortress is and who makes it (Hint: he's not a 'community').

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 07:43:43 pm »

You want to complain do it in general discussion.  This is the suggestions forum, not the whine about shit forum.  The guidelines exist for a reason, Toady will not even acknowledge threads like this, because they do not follow those guidelines.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 06:12:48 pm »

It'd be censorship if your entire thread got deleted.

This is just constructive criticism.