Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can someone teach me on how to do source coding for LCS and also make maps  (Read 1661 times)

shadowgod3211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

can someone teach me on how to do source coding for LCS and also make maps,buildings,cities,locations,bases,base upgrades,base defenses,dialog lines,etc

I'm willing to pay with money for teaching me and leaving notes in case i forget on how do to do the source coding

since it's only me and one of my friends doing the halo mod i need someone to teach me to do source coding for LCS

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: can someone teach me on how to do source coding for LCS and also make maps
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 03:00:28 am »

Ah...start by learning to build a base, unmodded LCS version.  (You probably don't want to do it my way [MingW32+command line]; if you read back on this subforum you'll find instructions on how to use the Code::Blocks IDE on Windows.)  You may prefer to fork from Kamal's branch, which has extensive config file customization already.

Once you can do that, you'll be technically ready to set up your fork in source code control.  The live unofficial version of LCS is on github using git; I do my projects in Mercurial, and those I wish to be open-source I put up on Bitbucket.  Both github and Bitbucket support both git and Mercurial.

Choosing between git and Mercurial is a matter of which set of commands is easier to learn.  Mercurial has a reputation for being relatively friendly to binary files, but that doesn't mean you want to add multi-megabyte sound files to source code control.

Choosing between Github and BitBucket is a matter of taste.

As for actually learning enough C (or C++) to make changes cleanly: I'd have to take a look around (the standards are not exactly legible).  I'd get familiar with the Microsoft Developer Network's online help.

shadowgod3211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: can someone teach me on how to do source coding for LCS and also make maps
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:46:14 pm »

ok.....ok (not the way i wanted e.e bbuuuttt beggers can't be choosers) (the thing i would prefer is that someone would add me on skype or steam and teach me from there e.e)