Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The memoirs of a Noob. And I need some help olso.  (Read 1162 times)

min40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The memoirs of a Noob. And I need some help olso.
« on: December 22, 2016, 12:14:29 pm »

This is the forth time I have played DF. The first time I did not understand why would anyone call THIS a game, the second time I decided to try DF+Stone sense+dwarf therapist and still didn't like it, but the third time something interesting happened. On my third fortress (no graphic mods or helping programs) my expedition leader almost instantly became a queen. How did that happened? Nevermind! As I was executing her every minor request I finally found out why so many players hate nobles(the game finally got interesting). But then the fire nation attacked...sorry, I mean a wereturtle wrestler. My military quickly dispatched the were-beast at the cost of 3 dead soldiers, 1 brutally torn to pieces and many bitten soldiers. At the time I was unaware that people bitten by were-creatures can be infected by their curse. 1 week later my "most successful fortress" was slaughtered by highly trained axe-wielding soldiers simultaneously transforming into were turtles.
GAME OVER, MAN! GAME OVER!
And I liked it.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: The memoirs of a Noob. And I need some help olso.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 12:42:33 pm »

Losing is fun!   :D  Welcome!

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

min40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 12:48:28 pm »

Now I created a new fort. Learning from my previous mistakes I will create a fortress worthy of Armok's liking. Embarked on a wood infested land nearing an important trading road between a dwarven fort and a human helmet. After building the Inn(The Old Armory) the hamlet quickly turned into a village. Not of course without someone being beaten to death in a bar fight. After appointing the new sheriff a report of a fight came to my attention: SOMEONE FUCKIN' DIED! My most skilled mason was killed by the fisher who was later promoted to the position of a sheriff because there was noone else useless as him. Good thing I had many migrant waves to replace the unfortunate mason.
Some days later - the entire inn is covered in alcohol induced puke. From the floor to the tables and chairs and even some beds on the second floor of the inn, and yet all bards say The Old Armory "is the place to be". The mayor is denying all petition for useless performers everyday - ONLY MERCENARIES. Construction of the outer wall of the soon-erected castle has begun and also some spirits rose from the dead. The dead mason haunted the sheriff relentlessly until he was put to rest. The outer wall is almost completed. The mayor really, REALLY like bracelets so much he enforces a ban on selling them and at the same time wants shit-tones of them being crafted. A goblin trader representative from the nearby dwarven fort. He likes shiny earing. Few days later a human bard died of unknown reason...to be continued.
Question time:
A "lord consort" came to the village stayed at the edge of the map and then I lost track of him. If he is still in the village how do I find him?
How can I impale the body of the dead human bard and put him infront of the Inn entrance? Cant find out how from the DFwiki.
How can I fight were-beast without getting infected?
Cant get my crossbow dwarfs to train at the archery range.
About the dead bard, do I have a vampire in my fort?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 02:23:03 pm »

FYI, You'll get a faster response to your questions if you post them in the "Gameplay Questions" part of the forum.  That said, I'll try to answer these.

1) If you look in the "u"nits list, any visitors/traders/liaisons/etc. should show up under "other".  Hitting 'v' on the selected creature will zoom you to their location.
2) There's no way to do this.  You can fake it by making a single tile custom stockpile in the location of your choice, restricted to accept only humans.
3) If you're playing fortress mode, mainly luck.  Getting your dwarves to train dodging will also help, and so will good quality armor.
4) This sounds counter-intuitive, but build either a weapon rack or an armor stand, and designate a barracks from them.  Assign your marksdwarves to train at the barracks, and also to train at the archery range (you'll need to designate one from a target, if you haven't already).  Make sure you have bone/wood bolts available.  Presto, your dwarves will start shooting at the targets.
5)  Maybe.  Keep an eye on the health screen (one of the options from the 'z' screen, if you have a chief medical dwarf assigned).  If you keep seeing 'Pal' dwarves, you probably do have at least one vampire.

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 02:52:54 pm »

Welcome to the Forums mate. I am The ImmortalRyukan, please leave your morals by the door and your sanity goes in that trash can right over there.

If I might direct your attention to Gloomdiamond, the succession fort I run.

Over yonder you can see the smoldering wreck that is Drunk Fortress (seriously, check it out)

To your left is Atolasob, an interesting read.

If you want to find out more, merely check the Hall of Legends.

I am TheImmortalRyukan, and I hope you enjoy your stay.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name