Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to find temples?  (Read 2958 times)

spik

• Bay Watcher
  • Compulsive statue flipper
    • View Profile
How to find temples?
« on: December 10, 2016, 06:57:10 am »

I have played adventure mode for a while and i wanted to gain werebeast powers, i tried to find a temple in a town but i cant find any, so what do i need to do to find one?

ass: a compulsive statue flipper :D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 07:49:33 am by spik »

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to find temples?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 09:59:32 am »

Well, I've certainly seen big towns with no temples and really small ones with 3. So, dunno what makes humans build temples or not. I've read something about libraries, that only civs which value knowledge build them, and since human civ values are somewhat randomized, not all human civs have them. Maybe something similar happens with temples?

Anyway, to the basics. Temples appear on the fast travel screen with their names on cyan/pale-blueish font, just like mead halls appear in purple font and taverns in yellow.

Now this is based on personal findings. Temples tend to be on the outskirts of cities. I think because the city first has to be prosperous for them to build a temple, and by then prime state grounds near the castle are taken up. Though, like I mentioned, I once found a very small town with 3 temples around a castle, and only one tavern. Then again, on such a small town, anything can be considered outskirt.

So, just walk the streets.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

spik

• Bay Watcher
  • Compulsive statue flipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 10:19:39 am »

Thanks for the insight, i have traveled a little and found the capital of my human civilization wich is the biggest city around but it looks like it was conquered by goblins, i am traveling around the city while getting constantly ambushed by goblins so i will just slice trow them until i find that temple, i dont know if the globlins will affect the outcome of my objective since the functioning of temples might appear abandoned now

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 10:20:37 am »

The most reliable way to have a temple is to build one in a fortress. Human towns will have them though.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 02:41:31 pm »

Thanks for the insight, i have traveled a little and found the capital of my human civilization wich is the biggest city around but it looks like it was conquered by goblins, i am traveling around the city while getting constantly ambushed by goblins so i will just slice trow them until i find that temple, i dont know if the globlins will affect the outcome of my objective since the functioning of temples might appear abandoned now

The temple has to be active, or not abandoned. You could always spend time training till next full moon when werebeasts come out to play. If you train hard enough, you could fight them until you see them try to bite you and then just let them do it. That way you at least get to choose what kind of beast you'll turn into. Of course, you'd then need to survive the encounter. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 06:52:27 pm »

You can do a site map export with legends. Temples will be a kinda dark pink or a dark brownish purple. I've got humans and dwarves making towns in my game so there are temples all over, two per town normally, with one sacked and the active one linked to the currently dominant religion.

If you don't see it on the outskirts you'll have to check some of the intersection parts of major streets in the town, and if that doesn't give a hit you might need to be standing on just the right spot of a street for the smaller temples.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 07:57:26 pm »

If you don't see it on the outskirts you'll have to check some of the intersection parts of major streets in the town, and if that doesn't give a hit you might need to be standing on just the right spot of a street for the smaller temples.

Most times (read: always in my experience) they ocupy a 3x3 space on the fast travel screen. Move around, see which area counts as temple on that screen, which doesn't, and try to eyeball it while walking. Never seen a "small" temple that didn't have the 3x3 space/area I just mentioned.

They sometimes have a big hole in the middle (most I found had water or ice, I've read some can have friggin' lava), and engraved walls. Most of the ones with ponds have their statues on their basements.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 02:21:10 am »

Clean Water
Salt Water
Murky Water
Lava
Detailed Surfaces
Square of Pillars
Irregular Pillars
Open to Sky/Stars/Day/Night/Storms/Sun/Lightning
Upper Level Mountains
Lower Level Caverns
Paved Surfaces

Smallest I've seen was 3x3 tiles, largest is about 24x24 or so, ranging from 2 floors to over a dozen in mountainous areas. Usually they'll occupy a couple of travel map tiles, but I've seen several where it only showed up on a single spot. I'm kind of an expert on them and libraries at this point, catacombs/dungeons/tombs/sewers to a lesser extent.