Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Revised (v3.1.1 for v0.47.04)  (Read 144289 times)

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revised v1.7.0 for v0.44.12. All creature descriptions rewritten!
« Reply #240 on: November 18, 2018, 02:16:33 pm »

I've just discovered this mod and so far have found it pretty darn neat.  Thanks for all the work you've put into it Taffer!

fasquardon

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revised v2.0.0 for v0.44.12. All creature descriptions rewritten!
« Reply #241 on: November 18, 2018, 05:07:54 pm »

v2.0.0 is finally released. I got so bogged down in combat mods and then in general cleanups and documentation. Sincere apologies for the delays; I should probably just stop providing estimated deadlines.

With so much tedious cleaning up out of the way, I can hopefully finally work on my todo list a little and add some new features. Update to the next release. Maybe leisurely improve descriptions and comments more. (The descriptions really do still need work).

I was planning on rewriting everything with wiki articles and providing a detailed changelog: at this point, I no longer see value in that for the time I'd take. There's just so much that's changed that it would cause hours and hours more work for relatively little gain. In short:

* I rewrote every comment. All Revised changes are now accompanied by curly braces ({, }), which only appear once in the vanilla files. If something doesn't need an actual comment, I haven't included one. The original value is usually present. {+} means the tag is added. Context is important: when I added leatherless skin, I didn't add {+} to every line, only to the opening of the section. I'm still tempted to delete the comments entirely, but I've worked on them too much and gotten too many compliments to back out now.
* I did a ton of description work. A lot. A lot, a lot. And I still have tons more to do.
* I started gendering humanoids: satyresses exist, as do male harpies (harps). If it's not an automaton then I want it mortal with two genders. Personal preference. As I'm typing this I'm too tired to remember if I got all of these creatures done, but if I've missed anything I'll fix it. I don't like creatures that don't age.
* Harpies are renamed feral harpies. Serpent people are renamed feral naga.
* Bird animal people are renamed harpies (ie, bluejay women are now bluejay harpies, eagle men are now eagle harps).
* Snake animal people are renamed naga (ie, copperhead snake men are now copperhead nagas. Adder women are now adder nagis.
* I integrated GoblinCookie's expanded dictionary.
* I did lots of work on descriptors. I didn't even list them all in the opening topic. Ostriches are fixed (I need to report this on the bug tracker still), falcons are now mottled. Bird beaks are described more. Lots more in here.
* Many small fixes were removed, if they were deemed unnecessary. I tried not to be draconian about this, and I still kept many of them. The most notable revert that I haven't described recently are the many, many changes to material melting points. This is something that the community insists is broken, but the bug reports are mostly closed and nobody seems willing to step up with fact, not just opinion. At the moment zombies and creatures do indeed disappear in lava. I just didn't see the need for such a long, long list of changes to the vanilla RAWs without better evidence. (Sver's mod adjusts the melting point of fat: this fix is included.) I reverted the modest bodies addon. I just thought that Toady's naming scheme was relatively consistent if a little verbose, while the new names didn't work for some creatures.
* Speaking of Sver: Sver's DF Combat Reworked is integrated now. Hooray! The new items aren't there, but almost all of the fixes were. In a spoiler tag, I've copied and pasted the incomplete (I told you I gave up on documentation work) list of deviations from that mod, outside of missing the new items.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
* leather rework! Chitin yields leather by default. Scale can't yield leather by default, but it functionally does. Sorry, no scale leather from scaly forgotten beasts or mod-added creatures. I might revert scale leather again, just because that inconsistency bothers me. Small creatures never yield leather, so you'll never find a dwarf that wants squirrel leather. Items made of bird leather are now "feather" (ie, giant bluejay feather pants). Items made of most humanoids are now "hide", if that's even possible in vanilla (kobold hide pants). Items made of chitin leather are called "chitin", and chitin is renamed carapace if it's on an insect. Items made of scale leather are...scale. Fancy that.
* shoulders and hipbones have been reworked as internal limbs, separating limbs from the body by a step. Necks and tails are now protected by default.
* I added some position information to face parts, like specifying that eyes should be above noses and that noses should be above mouths. Throats should be in front of the neck. Etc.
* Animal people don't meander.
* I cleaned up the secondary attacks from modest mod. in a few cases, I decided it didn't matter if an attack was primary. In a few others, the attack was made secondary everywhere.
* The new revised files have been merged into their respective vanilla files.
* I removed the hairy armed dwarves option. Vanilla dwarves now have rough, stony feeling skin (flavor only, combat not affected).
* I lessened the amount of blue in DARK_GREEN. Hopefully this doesn't break anything in dfhack land. This should fix the issue where vomit turns blue for some color schemes. This is still an insane Dwarf Fortress feature, by the way. It boggles my mind that a game that can only display 16 colors stores things internally as more specific colors: this whole feature seems designed to introduce tedious bugs into color scheme design.
* There were more changes, but I don't recall them now. The opening topic should be accurate, but there's a few small, unimportant features that I still want to mention.

Don't upgrade directly from v1.7.0, too much has changed. I don't want people's games to break. Use a fresh Dwarf Fortress installation, because the old Revised specific files have been deleted.

I've just discovered this mod and so far have found it pretty darn neat.  Thanks for all the work you've put into it Taffer!

You're welcome!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:00:18 am by Taffer »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 19, 2018, 01:39:44 pm »

Have to say I LOVE some of the downright hilarious names that the expanded dictionary is generating!

For instance, both a forgotten beast named "Mung Chargedgreen-tree-frog-kitten the Introvert Narwhal People" and a poem called "Masturbate Steady" (which apparently concerns a lover...seems highly fitting) exist in my latest world.

Keep up the good work, Taffer! :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:45:22 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 19, 2018, 07:41:39 pm »

Have to say I LOVE some of the downright hilarious names that the expanded dictionary is generating!

For instance, both a forgotten beast named "Mung Chargedgreen-tree-frog-kitten the Introvert Narwhal People" and a poem called "Masturbate Steady" (which apparently concerns a lover...seems highly fitting) exist in my latest world.

Keep up the good work, Taffer! :)

Haha, that's great. I'm so happy that GoblinCookie cleaned up the expanded dictionary. I copied your comment into that mod's thread, because all of the praise for it deserves to be there, not here (I did nothing but integrate it).

Cheers!

Augster999

• Bay Watcher
  • You have discovered an eerie post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 21, 2018, 06:41:41 pm »

This is one of those mods that I never realized I needed, but now don't ever want to play without.

Amazing job, all the hard work put into this really shows!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 22, 2018, 11:46:45 am »

Hooray for this! I look away for a bit and its suddenly updated, looks like I get a compatch to work on.

I applaud your tenacity in the face of grueling repetition. Will let you know once the patch is done/if I run into anything.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 22, 2018, 01:08:15 pm »

This is one of those mods that I never realized I needed, but now don't ever want to play without.

Thank you! Let me know when you have complaints!

Hooray for this! I look away for a bit and its suddenly updated, looks like I get a compatch to work on.

I applaud your tenacity in the face of grueling repetition. Will let you know once the patch is done/if I run into anything.

Thanks for the kind words! Lots of grueling repetition, alright.

The biggest thing to patch is that you need an extra LBSTEP and UBSTEP from vanilla, to accomodate my shoulders and hips, and of course dealing with the difference between my shoulders and your collarbones.

Incidentally, I'm not completely sure if I've made a terrible mistake, putting both LIMB and JOINT on (internal) shoulders and hips. Please let me know if I have!

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 22, 2018, 01:27:46 pm »

Incidentally, I'm not completely sure if I've made a terrible mistake, putting both LIMB and JOINT on (internal) shoulders and hips. Please let me know if I have!

Seems to work alright in my tests so far. The only unexpected thing is that strikes that pull neck (e.g. to the head) may occassionally also pull shoulders, but I would consider that a feature. Armor coverage works as intended.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 22, 2018, 04:05:43 pm »

Thank you! Let me know when you have complaints!

Thanks for the kind words! Lots of grueling repetition, alright.

The biggest thing to patch is that you need an extra LBSTEP and UBSTEP from vanilla, to accomodate my shoulders and hips, and of course dealing with the difference between my shoulders and your collarbones.

Since its last update, my mod already has collarbones and hipbones, which is pretty close to mechanically identical to yours. The equipment and bodypart modifications will override the ones in Revision in this case, so that shouldn't be difficult to do for me (since there is no point in having both my weapons/armor and yours/Svers).

As an aside, the reason I didn't name collarbones shoulders, is that the game already has shoulders in the JOINTS bodypart group, which by default is assigned to all humanoids. Adding the JOINT tag to something will serve two functions: Joint damage (pull/twist/bend) from the parent limb will hit the joint bodypart instead of the parent bodypart's parent, and it will disable the joint's parent part of the joint is disabled. I actually played around with something similar, but found it a bit... weird and superfluos, given that the collarbones are internal to the upper body and will already get damaged due to hits on the upper body.

What exactly is causing the shoulder to be pulled on hits to the head, I'm... not sure. Did you attach them to the neck?

As for LIMB, I think what it does is disable all bodyparts down the line if the bodypart is broken, so that a broken upper arm will actually render the arm useless. That might just be default behavior though, in that case I think LIMB might only be used for deciding which bodypart can be used in wrestling. I'm not sure which one of these it was anymore.

Will give these a once-over once I get around to patching.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 22, 2018, 05:04:11 pm »

What exactly is causing the shoulder to be pulled on hits to the head, I'm... not sure. Did you attach them to the neck?

Nope, the shoulders aren't connected to head or neck in any way, although, both neck and shoulders connect to the upper body, which is probably what causes it, somehow. May be related to the fact that strikes to facial features (in vanilla) may pull the head and tear its hair - which never happens in any other situation.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 23, 2018, 12:43:50 am »

The hair thing is different, hair is just a tissue layer on the head that is ignored when something hits the it (due to the tissue layer type), but then isn't ignored by the pull/twist/bend damage that gets applied to the head (since a nose doesn't have a joint, its parent bodypart acts like one).

Why this is I don't know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 24, 2018, 09:24:49 am »

Seems to work alright in my tests so far. The only unexpected thing is that strikes that pull neck (e.g. to the head) may occassionally also pull shoulders, but I would consider that a feature. Armor coverage works as intended.

Thanks for double checking things! I don't mind the shoulder pulling.

Since its last update, my mod already has collarbones and hipbones, which is pretty close to mechanically identical to yours. The equipment and bodypart modifications will override the ones in Revision in this case, so that shouldn't be difficult to do for me (since there is no point in having both my weapons/armor and yours/Svers).

I'll look at your new versions! Sorry, I've been so absorbed in Revised that I haven't been looking at other mods recently.

As an aside, the reason I didn't name collarbones shoulders, is that the game already has shoulders in the JOINTS sbodypart group, which by default is assigned to all humanoids. Adding the JOINT tag to something will serve two functions: Joint damage (pull/twist/bend) from the parent limb will hit the joint bodypart instead of the parent bodypart's parent, and it will disable the joint's parent part of the joint is disabled. I actually played around with something similar, but found it a bit... weird and superfluos, given that the collarbones are internal to the upper body and will already get damaged due to hits on the upper body.

As for LIMB, I think what it does is disable all bodyparts down the line if the bodypart is broken, so that a broken upper arm will actually render the arm useless. That might just be default behavior though, in that case I think LIMB might only be used for deciding which bodypart can be used in wrestling. I'm not sure which one of these it was anymore.

Thanks for the info! The shoulders are attached to the upper arms and to the upper body, as expected. The reason I didn't name my shoulders collarbones and my hips hipbones is that they often appear in humanoids without bones: instead, I removed the shoulders and hips from HUMANOID_JOINTS and repurposed them. Crab people and insect people don't have bones, for example (and there's quite a few insect people).

HUMANOID_JOINTS actually don't appear in all humanoids, just many of them. There's nothing in c_variation_default adding them to animal people, and there are base creatures without them that still have humanoid variations. For a while I had a custom body for bronze colossi because they were the only creatures in vanilla that were boneless and had HUMANOID JOINTS: I didn't want to remove their joints and I didn't want to give them bones, so I had to give them a custom body. I redid all of that to the current solution, because I wanted to support armor properly for boneless humanoids without giving them bones. Plump helmet people and sponge people don't even have knees and elbows in vanilla (they do in Revised), but they're still humanoid.

Code: [Select]
grep BODY:HUMANOID * | grep -v HUMANOID_JOINTS | cat -n
In the vanilla files this gives me 42 BODY:HUMANOID lines without any accompanying joints, and that's not counting the creatures that aren't constructed with a humanoid body but have a humanoid variation nevertheless.

Will give these a once-over once I get around to patching.

I'm looking forward to it! Any of your thoughts are appreciated, and I'll poke your mod with a stick to see what's there.

The hair thing is different, hair is just a tissue layer on the head that is ignored when something hits the it (due to the tissue layer type), but then isn't ignored by the pull/twist/bend damage that gets applied to the head (since a nose doesn't have a joint, its parent bodypart acts like one).

Why this is I don't know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't know this about hair. Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 03:18:39 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 27, 2018, 06:28:50 pm »

I can't believe I forgot! The v2.0.0 release actually has a theme song. I felt like I was going insane working on it and I ended up listening to that song a lot to set the tone.

CarpBiter2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 29, 2018, 07:47:43 am »

Really like the leather rework. Not sure about this, though:
* Harpies are renamed feral harpies. Serpent people are renamed feral naga.
* Bird animal people are renamed harpies (ie, bluejay women are now bluejay harpies, eagle men are now eagle harps).
* Snake animal people are renamed naga (ie, copperhead snake men are now copperhead nagas. Adder women are now adder nagis.

There are many bird peoples that are not from Greek mythology and snake peoples not derived from Hinduism. And it's not like it helps with clarification: when it says "bluejay man", I just imagine a guy with a head of a bluejay. "Harpy", on the other hand, brings a lot of stereotype just with the name.
The lake unfroze, the ducks drowned.

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 30, 2018, 04:48:38 pm »

I noticed troglodytes are renamed to cavemen. While I don't really mind either way, the fact that they don't seem to use any sort of tools in Dwarf Fortress suggests to me they're more monstrous than they are man. "Caveman", at least to me, evokes an image of a primitive stone age man with rudimentary rock tools. Troglodytes are a fairly common fantasy monster trope, so I'd prefer that.

Also:

Quote from: DF wiki
Because ewes and rams have the same total body size, the added horns on rams actually make the rest of their body slightly smaller than an ewe's.

pls fix? ;)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33