Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Revised (v3.1.1 for v0.47.04)  (Read 147535 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revised v2.0.0 for v0.44.12. All creature descriptions rewritten!
« Reply #255 on: November 30, 2018, 06:17:52 pm »

I noticed troglodytes are renamed to cavemen. While I don't really mind either way, the fact that they don't seem to use any sort of tools in Dwarf Fortress suggests to me they're more monstrous than they are man. "Caveman", at least to me, evokes an image of a primitive stone age man with rudimentary rock tools. Troglodytes are a fairly common fantasy monster trope, so I'd prefer that.

I'll change I changed cavepeople back to troglodytes.

Quote from: DF wiki
Because ewes and rams have the same total body size, the added horns on rams actually make the rest of their body slightly smaller than an ewe's.

pls fix? ;)

Sure thing! Maybe, but it'll take a bit longer. This affects more than just ewes and rams. Deer are the same way, at a glance.

Really like the leather rework.

Thank you kindly!

Not sure about this, though:
There are many bird peoples that are not from Greek mythology and snake peoples not derived from Hinduism. And it's not like it helps with clarification: when it says "bluejay man", I just imagine a guy with a head of a bluejay. "Harpy", on the other hand, brings a lot of stereotype just with the name.

I'm a little perplexed, to be honest: I don't see why I have to acknowledge every culture's mythology here any more than other fantasy works do. Harpies and naga are common fantasy tropes. By preference I'd have used lamia instead of naga (I have several books on greek mythology), but male lamia don't exist in modern fantasy while male naga do.

I feel like what you're concerned about was the entire point of renaming them to begin with: "a guy with the head of a bluejay" isn't exactly descriptive. It sounds almost Egyptian to me (and I've considered an Egyptian mythology Revised module turning animal creatures into "men and women with animal heads"). By renaming them harpies and naga I get to draw on modern fantasy in much the same way that Toady did when he decided to put dwarves, elves, and goblins into his game. The stereotypes are exactly the point, to me. Without the stereotypes then the most I can give you is "this is a bluejay man" and whatever description I can fit in. It's not like modern literature is exactly filled with tales of bluejay people. By leaning on harpy and naga stereotypes people's imaginations fill in the gaps better.

To put that another way: it's weird (to me) when I see the many mods that add Naga. It feels odd that Naga are almost identical to the many snake people in the game that get overlooked. And nobody even brings them up! It's like "here's a mod that introduces snake people!", and nobody even remembers that the game already had tons of them. Because DF's snake people are forgettable. I was hoping to make them less forgettable.

It might be worth adding that in the next patch I'll be moving the wings of bird people from their backs to being a part of their arms: this is much more in line with both fan DF art and furry art. It's one of the reasons I don't like the "bluejay woman" naming convention, because there's just nothing cultural to draw on for that and as a direct result nobody seems to have any idea what they actually look like (in DF). By renaming them harpies and moving their wings I'm hoping to remedy that a little.

I've also been thinking of drawing from the Lovecraft mythos as inspiration for the insect people (there are tons of them), in much the same way. Perhaps "mosquito horror" or something. Perhaps I won't rename them at all. I hadn't decided yet. Perhaps some one-off names, like gnolls instead of hyena people and mumaks instead of elephant people. (I'm just throwing ideas into my rambling here, not decisions).

I digress: I might revert this if I get enough complaints. I'd love to at least use the word "harpy" and "naga" in the descriptions. To be fair, I don't love that I'm breaking with Toady's consistent naming scheme (animal man, animal woman).

Thank you for the thoughts! They're appreciated, even if I don't always agree. It gets me thinking. Please don't hesitate to speak up if you still disagree. This is, after all, a significant feature in Revised in terms of "diff noise from vanilla" and "departures from DF lore".

If anybody has any thoughts on this subject, please speak up.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:27:48 pm by Taffer »

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2018, 08:38:11 pm »

My 2 cents:

Using pre-existing fantasy names like nagas, harpies and gnolls brings along baggage that might not fit the (current) DF representation of those creatures. Nagas and gnolls, for instance, tend to have varying levels of culture (nagas commonly having some form of a nation or nations, gnolls often being roving mercenaries of some kind) and technology (such as metal armour and weapons). Animal people in Dwarf Fortress are very primitive in comparison; as far as I know the aboveground animal peoples tend to just mill around in big blobs and talk nonsense, typically mostly if not entirely naked, whereas their underground counterparts have some (rather poorly simulated) primitive tribal societies and technology such as blowpipes.

Also maybe it's just me, but I find some of the new descriptions almost... overly neutral? I know Toady's descriptions have a fairly neutral tone to them to begin with (eg. yetis are described as "a large ape-like creature", and many other fantastical creatures have similar descriptions that compare them to more mundane ones), but occasionally many of the more monstrous creatures are described as just that. For instance, minotaurs are described as "[a] giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull", but your rewritten description for them loses the monster part, describing them as "[a] tall, brutish [wo]man with woolly legs and arms, large hooves, and a bull's head."

Then on the other hand in the same minotaur description (and some of the other monster descriptions I've seen) it mentions how they like being naked... Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather not think about whether the giant bovine monster slaughtering my dwarves is naked or not! Haha.

Perhaps a good compromise solution would be doing a lite version that has all the gameplay improvements, but doesn't have any (extensive) description/creature name changes. If you wind up doing this, I'd seriously recommend looking into using some sort of a patch/diff solution to generate a set of diffs that you can apply to the vanilla files to reduce the manual version management headache, in case you're not doing that already. Git might work too.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and on the topic of bird people: they maintain full control of their hands while flying in terms of game mechanics (so eg. combat isn't penalized while flying), so having wings on their back does make sense from that perspective. Obviously on the other hand it does mean that they have an extra set of limbs for no good reason, given that wings in birds are in fact evolved forelimbs.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 08:48:18 pm by Burneddi »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 30, 2018, 09:00:09 pm »

My 2 cents:

Using pre-existing fantasy names like nagas, harpies and gnolls brings along baggage that might not fit the (current) DF representation of those creatures. Nagas and gnolls, for instance, tend to have varying levels of culture (nagas commonly having some form of a nation or nations, gnolls often being roving mercenaries of some kind) and technology (such as metal armour and weapons). Animal people in Dwarf Fortress are very primitive in comparison; as far as I know the aboveground animal peoples tend to just mill around in big blobs and talk nonsense, typically mostly if not entirely naked, whereas their underground counterparts have some (rather poorly simulated) primitive tribal societies and technology such as blowpipes.

Also maybe it's just me, but I find some of the new descriptions almost... overly neutral? I know Toady's descriptions have a fairly neutral tone to them to begin with (eg. yetis are described as "a large ape-like creature", and many other fantastical creatures have similar descriptions that compare them to more mundane ones), but occasionally many of the more monstrous creatures are described as just that. For instance, minotaurs are described as "[a] giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull", but your rewritten description for them loses the monster part, describing them as "[a] tall, brutish [wo]man with woolly legs and arms, large hooves, and a bull's head."

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'll think about reverting the harpy and naga name changes. I'll still relocate the wings and include "harpy-like" in the descriptions (but I won't do the same for the snake people and naga). In my next round of description editing I'll append adjectives like "monstrous" where it appears, to try to bring things closer to Toady's work. (I should add I was already doing this).

The above ground animal people are intelligent enough to talk: the minotaurs even taunt you. Just start Adventure mode as one.

Then on the other hand in the same minotaur description (and some of the other monster descriptions I've seen) it mentions how they like being naked... Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather not think about whether the giant bovine monster slaughtering my dwarves is naked or not! Haha.

I might have gone to far with the "they like being naked" bit, but factually speaking they are naked, and I'm willing to bet it would be one of the most obvious things about them. It's the reason I mention it. I get that it might not be for everyone, but I'm not much of a fan of censorship and it's certainly (to me) one of the things that I'd notice first. It's not like I mentioned nudity for just the tiger men and the jackal women and such, it's also mentioned for roach men and worm men.

I mentioned they enjoyed being naked because it seems (to me) like that's true: they often stay naked. If they're intelligent enough to talk to your dwarves and join your fort they're certainly smart enough to know what pants are (at least when they see a pair). It's not perfect: if you start as one in adventure mode you'll be wearing clothing, but I thought it would be a nice touch to differentiate [CLOTHING] creatures from the non clothing creatures. I've had a monkey man steal a pair of pants and make off with them, but it's not like he wore it after.

As an aside, it's not my fault our culture censors these things. You expect me to believe the giant trolls in the Hobbit lovingly crafted loincloths for themselves and tie them on each morning? They're naked as is realistic in DF, I just pointed it out.

I can compromise by going through and at least removing the fun, somewhat closer to risque references and only using the "naked" or "nude" adjective. I was personally enjoying the fun additions though, but that's just my personality type.

Perhaps a good compromise solution would be doing a lite version that has all the gameplay improvements, but doesn't have any (extensive) description/creature name changes. If you wind up doing this, I'd seriously recommend looking into using some sort of a patch/diff solution to generate a set of diffs that you can apply to the vanilla files to reduce the manual version management headache, in case you're not doing that already. Git might work too.

A version of Revised that doesn't include descriptions isn't really in the cards. I've worked so damn hard on them that it feels like the soul of the mod.. I know to most people Revised is mostly just a collection of bug fixes, but for me I've spent almost 2 years on the descriptions (off and on) and the bug fixing is almost a side benefit. I'm sorry you don't like the changes: I can revert the harpy and naga changes and I can see about toning down the references to nudity (I don't want to eliminate them though).

I'm still happy to hear people's thoughts on this stuff, if people are lurking and reading this.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:18:58 am by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revised v2.0.1 for v0.44.12. All creature descriptions rewritten!
« Reply #258 on: November 30, 2018, 09:46:56 pm »

I've released v2.0.1 as an interim fix: sincere apologies to Sver and Grimlocke, who are in the middle of compatibility patches. I'm waiting to see who else has any thoughts before making decisions about reverting harpy and naga names and whether I went too far with references to nudity or not.

In the meantime, here's a cool feature and a few small fixes.

* The intestines of tannable creatures are renamed "tough intestine" and are tannable, courtesy of the Fur, Hide, and Feathers mod. Enabling it globally makes more sense to me and is easier to understand than limiting it to historical catgut, especially because most of these creatures don't even exist in the real world. Small creatures already can't be tanned in Revised, so there's still no actual cat gut thread or squirrel gut thread.
* I'd mistakenly "fixed" CHILDNAME to GENERAL_CHILD_NAME in sea serpents. This has been reverted.
* I'd added a new "SPOTS_WHITE_BLACK" descipriptor to the game, forgetting that one already existed. Reverted.
* Goblins are now always playable in adventure mode (ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE), not just the traitors that joined other civilizations.
* I fixed wren people having missing names.
* I changed cavepeople back to troglodytes.
* I worked on the descriptions a little, because that's what I do.

EDIT: removed unnecessary rambling.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:31:00 pm by Taffer »

CarpBiter2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2018, 04:08:43 am »

I'm a little perplexed, to be honest: I don't see why I have to acknowledge every culture's mythology here any more than other fantasy works do. Harpies and naga are common fantasy tropes.
I'm going to grumble a bit and say that fantasy tropes aren't doing a good job of acknowledging mythology sources either, and the only game I know of that pays homage to actual mythology is Dominions.

But my point was, when I see a parrot woman, I think to myself: "Oh, cool". But when I see a parrot-headed harpy, I immediately think that Sara is going to be a bit of a bitch. Those stereotypes run surprisingly deep in me, and they affect the way I interpret things I see, because all I see is a letter and a name. It's not a big deal, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case.
The stereotypes are exactly the point, to me. Without the stereotypes then the most I can give you is "this is a bluejay man" and whatever description I can fit in. It's not like modern literature is exactly filled with tales of bluejay people. By leaning on harpy and naga stereotypes people's imaginations fill in the gaps better.
That's true, but Toady didn't call animal people "harpies" or "nagas", so now some us apparently have an established perception bias. I was quite surprised by my reaction too, to be honest.

naked minotaurs issue
Personally, I thought it was a good-spirited jab at minotaurs' habit of waving their non-existent magnum dong around. Like, they're smart enough to get clothes, the adventurers are clothed, but the rest of them cosplay Biggus Dickus way too literally. I have nothing against a few little cheeky jokes here and there.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 03:10:12 am by CarpBiter2000 »
The lake unfroze, the ducks drowned.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 01, 2018, 02:39:19 pm »

That's true, but Toady didn't call animal people "harpies" or "nagas", so now some us apparently have an established perception bias. I was quite surprised by own my reaction too, to be honest.

Using pre-existing fantasy names like nagas, harpies and gnolls brings along baggage that might not fit the (current) DF representation of those creatures.

As requested.

Augur

• Bay Watcher
  • remove-stress
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2018, 02:48:44 pm »

Throwing my opinion in -- I do like the harp/harpy name change. The change in descriptions from original DF from "guy with animal head" to the more anthropomorphized animals seems to accommodate more creature-like names. I don't have too much experience with the mod though so I haven't seen all the descriptions.

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2018, 11:19:36 pm »

I've read quite a bit more of the raws now, so here's the most complete feedback/thoughts I'll probably have on this!

There are a few reasons I find the descriptions weird, uncanny, and even a bit creepy. They use gendered nouns for virtually everything, while normal people refer to animals (and most non-human creatures) as "it" unless deliberately going for an affectionate tone or if the distinction is somehow relevant. Pretty much all even remotely humanoid creatures are referred to as men and women, when it would be more natural to refer them to as creatures or monsters like the vanilla descriptions do (who looks at a sasquatch and thinks "oh, that's a hairy man"?). Pretty much all humanoid creatures get two genders and most of them bear children, but I don't think this is necessary or even sensible for mythical creatures like satyrs or harpies, who are canonically exclusively male and female in their originating mythologies and probably don't subscribe to mundane rules of biology, or even for DF-original fantastical creatures like nightwings (because they're fantasy monsters and it makes just as much sense in-universe for them to be born out of the souls of dead goblins or something as it does for them to reproduce biologically). Then there's the constant, incessant reminders that things are indeed naked with their naughty bits hanging out.

So yeah, pretty much the weird sex nudism gendery anthropomorphisation stuff is what I don't like about the descriptions. Seriously puts me off.

Then there are some other niggles. Tons of creatures that represent specific species get renamed into more generic animals, such as sperm whales becoming just whales, great white sharks becoming just sharks, and black mambas becoming just mambas. I don't think there's any reason to change this when the descriptions match those specific species. Also, a handful of other creatures, such as blue jays, get renamed to remove spaces in their names, even though their proper names contain a space, but other creatures, such as large rats, don't.

Lots and lots of creatures also gain CURIOUSBEAST tags. Many of them gain a very generous selection of them, often getting all three. While I haven't done extensive playtesting, CURIOUSBEAST creatures are among the most annoying things a fort can encounter, particularly in the beginning, so I suspect adding this many can make certain kinds of embarks much more annoying. Pretty much every single primate seemed to gain all three tokens, which is a bit odd because not even the premier annoying primate in DF, the rhesus macaque, is attracted to booze.

The new leather types are pretty nice, but I don't think "feather" makes any sense. Feathers are generally used without being attached to the skin. I suspect this might be because they don't stay attached to the skin very well after the tanning process, but I don't know. Also, many creatures that have coarse, short hair are tagged as being furry in their description (ie. [TLCM_NOUN:fur:SINGULAR]), but in common use the words used for the hair of these animals (eg. cows, horses) is just hair, and their skin (with the hair attached) is called hide. This is a bit nitpicky, though!

Amidst all this criticism I must say I really dig the overwhelming majority of the actual gameplay changes though. It's the reason I'm here. In fact, I like them so much that faced with the choice of giving them up because I didn't like the descriptions, renames and other minor changes, I instead chose to spend the past five hours cobbling together a homebrew version of the mod that only has the gameplay changes without any changes to the creature names or descriptions.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about the expanded dictionary. I'd rather not have my dwarves write poems about labias and rape, so I got rid of that too.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:42:03 pm by Burneddi »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 02, 2018, 12:20:54 am »

Throwing my opinion in -- I do like the harp/harpy name change. The change in descriptions from original DF from "guy with animal head" to the more anthropomorphized animals seems to accommodate more creature-like names. I don't have too much experience with the mod though so I haven't seen all the descriptions.

Thanks for your feedback! Unfortunately, I've already reverted it. I just don't feel like defending it any more. Maybe it'll appear again in a module someday.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 02, 2018, 12:52:59 am »

I've read quite a bit more of the raws now, so here's the most complete feedback/thoughts I'll probably have on this!

There are a few reasons I find the descriptions weird, uncanny, and even a bit creepy.

That's pretty blunt. To be honest, it doesn't sound like you'll like Revised. I'm not sure what to tell you.

They use gendered nouns for virtually everything, while normal people refer to animals (and most non-human creatures) as "it" unless deliberately going for an affectionate tone or if the distinction is somehow relevant. Pretty much all even remotely humanoid creatures are referred to as men and women, when it would be more natural to refer them to as creatures or monsters like the vanilla descriptions do (who looks at a sasquatch and thinks "oh, that's a hairy man"?).

The vanilla descriptions already do.

She may not be referred to as a woman but it's pretty clearly labelled female. All of this just comes down to how you interpret these creatures. To me, the definition of "man" and "woman" is already pretty stretched in a fantasy setting. Why are kobold females women and adder females not? I'm not sure we'll see eye to eye on this, I'm just trying to illustrate why I referred to them that way. A big part of my reasoning was that many of these creatures can join your fortress. And they can talk! If your dwarves are able to talk to a humanoid and have already noticed she's female, I don't really follow why it wouldn't be considered "woman" (although this doesn't apply to your specific example). I've also noted many times in the thread that the descriptions aren't done: the sasquatches are a prime example of that. The whole creature_standard file still needs work.

Pretty much all humanoid creatures get two genders and most of them bear children, but I don't think this is necessary or even sensible for mythical creatures like satyrs or harpies, who are canonically exclusively male and female in their originating mythologies and probably don't subscribe to mundane rules of biology, or even for DF-original fantastical creatures like nightwings (because they're fantasy monsters and it makes just as much sense in-universe for them to be born out of the souls of dead goblins or something as it does for them to reproduce biologically).

I don't like immortal creatures aside from automatons. I've stated so already. But in any case, satyresses already exist and I'm far from the first person working in modern fantasy to have male harpies. To be blunt: I don't care about being faithful to Greek mythology (or whatever), and I don't really understand why anybody can be expected to. This is a game with fantasy tropes in it. If we had to stick to the original mythologies then hardly anybody would be writing fantasy. I'm still a little bewildered why this is a sticking point: it's not as if Toady's game is perfectly in line with Norse mythology, even if you look only at the elements drawn from it.

To be honest, one of my secret projects was a mythology addon in which I'd try to come up with my own, Greek or Roman mythology inspired lore. Bring in wises and sages for good regions, expand on the harpies and such. I have a side folder with some work on it, but this conversation has convinced me that it's a terrible idea.

Then there's the constant, incessant reminders that things are indeed naked with their naughty bits hanging out.

So yeah, pretty much the weird sex nudism gendery anthropomorphisation stuff is what I don't like about the descriptions. Seriously puts me off.

Look, I've already started to tone it down. I'm sorry it makes you uncomfortable. I just tried to point out what I felt was already obvious (that this is a game with tons of naked animal people). I've spent a long time trying to come up with interesting things to say about these creatures, and in a relatively recent fit of inspiration I thought I'd be a little cheeky and start mentioning it. I evidently went overboard.

Then there are some other niggles. Tons of creatures that represent specific species get renamed into more generic animals, such as sperm whales becoming just whales, great white sharks becoming just sharks, and black mambas becoming just mambas. I don't think there's any reason to change this when the descriptions match those specific species. Also, a handful of other creatures, such as blue jays, get renamed to remove spaces in their names, even though their proper names contain a space, but other creatures, such as large rats, don't.

I've explained my reasoning here several times in this thread already, but sperm whales became whales because there's no other whale in DF. I'm thinking of this from an in-universe consistency type thing (in part). We call sperm whales by that name because we want to differentiate them from other whales. But Urist has no other whale to compare it to. But the bigger issue is leather: the long names are ridiculous looking, and I greatly prefer having shorter creature names for less clutter. I had the same logic for black mambas and peregrine falcons. Great white sharks became white sharks, not just sharks, and their wiki page mentions that as an acceptable alternative. And I have a personal preference for hyphenating nouns or removing the spaces where possible: when I'm playing with a fixed width font, I find helps makes item names easier to parse.

Lots and lots of creatures also gain CURIOUSBEAST tags. Many of them gain a very generous selection of them, often getting all three. While I haven't done extensive playtesting, CURIOUSBEAST creatures are among the most annoying things a fort can encounter, particularly in the beginning, so I suspect adding this many can make certain kinds of embarks much more annoying. Pretty much every single primate seemed to gain all three tokens, which is a bit odd because not even the premier annoying primate in DF, the rhesus macaque, is attracted to booze.

I can revert this if it's too bad: it didn't seem too annoying in my playtesting, and I enjoyed the additional challenge. These changes were contributed by Warlord255.

The new leather types are pretty nice, but I don't think "feather" makes any sense. Feathers are generally used without being attached to the skin. I suspect this might be because they don't stay attached to the skin very well after the tanning process, but I don't know.

I can revert feather. I was experimenting with World of Warcraft again and admiring a pair of feathery leather pants I picked up somewhere. That's where I got the inspiration from. I'll wait a bit before deciding about this one: I kind of like it. It's worth noting that because small creatures don't yield leather in Revised, almost all of the animals you'd get this from don't exist in real life, so the properties of their feathers are a little suspect.

Also, many creatures that have coarse, short hair are tagged as being furry in their description (ie. [TLCM_NOUN:fur:SINGULAR]), but in common use the words used for the hair of these animals (eg. cows, horses) is just hair, and their skin (with the hair attached) is called hide. This is a bit nitpicky, though!

I've always disliked 'hair' here, though. I genuinely, literally don't remember the last time somebody referred to my cat's fur as "hair" (when he's still wearing it, not when it's detached). It always made reading animal descriptions feel off to me. This change was from Essential DF, and should probably be mentioned in the description.

Amidst all this criticism I must say I really dig the overwhelming majority of the actual gameplay changes though. It's the reason I'm here. In fact, I like them so much that faced with the choice of giving them up because I didn't like the descriptions, renames and other minor changes, I instead chose to spend the past five hours cobbling together a homebrew version of the mod that only has the gameplay changes without any changes to the creature names or descriptions.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about the expanded dictionary. I'd rather not have my dwarves write poems about labias and rape, so I got rid of that too.

Might be worth noting that Revised started out as a continuation of the Modest mod and I renamed it to Revised for the exact reason that I didn't want people to think it was just a collection of gameplay improvements and bugfixes, but it doesn't seem to have worked. I'm genuinely not sure Revised will be for you. I'm toning down the references to nudity but I've worked damn hard on my descriptions and I'm pretty proud of them, even though they're not finished.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:03:01 am by Taffer »

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2018, 09:20:00 am »

The vanilla descriptions already do.

Yeah, I realised this shortly after posting... I guess I never noticed it and just filed that part of the descriptions under the general procedurally generated jankiness that's fairly abundant in the game.

Why are kobold females women and adder females not?
I don't think they are? Kobold females should just be referred to as kobold ♀ or something in-game, given that they lack any caste-specific name tags. But now that I think of it I'm not too sure, as virtually all of my kobold interactions are with kobold thieves who are called just that.

I've always disliked 'hair' here, though. I genuinely, literally don't remember the last time somebody referred to my cat's fur as "hair" (when he's still wearing it, not when it's detached). It always made reading animal descriptions feel off to me. This change was from Essential DF, and should probably be mentioned in the description.

Yeah, my beef was more with creatures like cows and horses, which by and large don't seem to be considered furry but rather hairy. The distinction is fairly arbitrary though.

I'm genuinely not sure Revised will be for you. I'm toning down the references to nudity but I've worked damn hard on my descriptions and I'm pretty proud of them, even though they're not finished.

Well, in a sense it isn't, because I never really had too many problems with the vanilla descriptions to begin with (personally if I were to do something about the descriptions, I'd make them more dwarfy). However, like it or not, even without its descriptions Revised is still the most complete bug-fixing & general improvements mod out there. I can't imagine I'm the only one who's only really in the market for gameplay fixes.

Perhaps one day I'll release my own mod (with blackjack etc.), but that day won't come until I figure out something to make merging raws from different mods easier. I'm not aware of any such tool existing yet (tools like KDiff help, but are still a ton of manual work), so I'd probably have to write it myself. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the work you're doing here — it's just that not all of it is for me, and I'd rather just have the bugfixes and such!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:26:31 am by Burneddi »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 02, 2018, 10:44:55 am »

Does this meet with your approval so far, Burneddi? I'm removing every instance of woman or man in every description, and I've toned down the (admittedly repetitive) references to nudity.

Perhaps one day I'll release my own mod (with blackjack etc.), but that day won't come until I figure out something to make merging raws from different mods easier. I'm not aware of any such tool existing yet (tools like KDiff help, but are still a ton of manual work), so I'd probably have to write it myself. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the work you're doing here — it's just that not all of it is for me, and I'd rather just have the bugfixes and such!

There's Rubble here in the forums. Outside of using that I strongly recommend against an automated solution. Mods conflict with each other, and sometimes they conflict with each other in non-obvious ways. A diff tool is the best approach here, unless you can convince everyone to use Rubble (and even then, Rubble can't solve the "non-obvious conflicts" problem). It's why working on Revised is so time consuming.

If I was touchy about the descriptions it's because I've spent so much time on them: pretty much every lunch at work for a year now, plus time in the evenings and several full days of my last vacation. Plus evenings off and on for months before I started working at lunch. I get that there's parts you don't like, but I'd rather work on them until we're both satisfied rather than release a version that throws out all my work.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:53:14 am by Taffer »

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 02, 2018, 10:49:28 am »

Is it possible to do anything with kobolds civ? - would like their population to be more than 600 on average for each civ and that they were more frequent in the fortress mode.
I myself tried to fix it by adding agriculture (INDOOR_WOOD, INDOOR_FARMING) for them, but for some reason I found that the game cannot generate civ, who live in [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CAVE] with tag for farming - happens repeated world regeneration.

Your game might be more fun to read:
there are far more words in the language files. (GoblinCookie, Amostubel)
He is Amostubal.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 02, 2018, 10:51:55 am »

Is it possible to do anything with kobolds civ? - would like their population to be more than 600 on average for each civ and that they were more frequent in the fortress mode.
I myself tried to fix it by adding agriculture (INDOOR_WOOD, INDOOR_FARMING) for them, but for some reason I found that the game cannot generate civ, who live in [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CAVE_DET

I'll see what I can do about it! It won't be right away, but it might be an easy fix. Worth noting that I'm definitely a fan of cutebolds and I'm contemplating referring to them as "little ones" in their descriptions next version.

He is Amostubal.

Fixed, thank you!

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 02, 2018, 12:01:57 pm »

Does this meet with your approval so far, Burneddi? I'm removing every instance of woman or man in every description, and I've toned down the (admittedly repetitive) references to nudity.

Please, you don't need to go to such extents just to satisfy little old me. I could be, and probably am, in the minority when I say that the descriptions bother me, and I can sort the problem out for myself. I don't think you should react to my feedback too radically unless multiple other people also agree with it.

Outside of using that I strongly recommend against an automated solution. Mods conflict with each other, and sometimes they conflict with each other in non-obvious ways. A diff tool is the best approach here, unless you can convince everyone to use Rubble (and even then, Rubble can't solve the "non-obvious conflicts" problem). It's why working on Revised is so time consuming.

I was thinking more along the lines of a diff tool that's smart enough to understand the raw formatting, so it can compare changes on a type and token level. Something that can automerge non-conflicting changes that only affect a couple of tokens on a type. Either way, realistically I probably don't care enough to ever actually get it done...

Perhaps Rubble can do this, but it looks too much like a full-blown mod manager than a merging tool to me.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33