Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Revised (v3.1.1 for v0.47.04)  (Read 146017 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revised v2.0.1 for v0.44.12. All creature descriptions rewritten!
« Reply #270 on: December 02, 2018, 03:08:14 pm »

Have a belated comprehensive v2.0.0/v2.0.1 changelog, everybody! This just does a comparison for you if you're not used to diff tools. 68 changed files with 157701 additions and 10948 deletions. Fun times.

Please, you don't need to go to such extents just to satisfy little old me.

No worries. Work on this is progressing. This will delay the next release: I don't have much longer today and it's back to work tomorrow. This will at least give Grimlocke and Sver a chance to catch up.

I was thinking more along the lines of a diff tool that's smart enough to understand the raw formatting, so it can compare changes on a type and token level. Something that can automerge non-conflicting changes that only affect a couple of tokens on a type.

When I say conflict, I'm including "soft" conflicts. Creatures that fill identical niches. Items and materials that unbalance your combat mod. That sort of thing. No tool can automate  handling this and IMO you should never trust somebody's description about their mod when you're merging work for others. They might have missed something in their documentation. I think merging things for other people to enjoy should be done thoughtfully (which is always going to be time consuming).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:24:46 pm by Taffer »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 02, 2018, 03:21:09 pm »

This will at least give Grimlocke and Sver a chance to catch up.

Heheh, yeah, well, I still got plenty of stuff to do for the next update: decided to rewrite the weapon sets and extrapolate on that elven weapons idea for a new optional (varied army compositions for humans and goblins). And that's before I start to merge the new Revised files in and organize some new folders to pack away old clothing, although, these two things should be fairly quick to do. So, I'll probably linger till the 2.0.2 (?) update, if there's something that deals with the b_detail_plan_default, body_default, c_variation_default or material_template_default.

Btw, I'd like to report that there don't seem to be any problems with the removal of melting points for organic materials as of previous version. Creatures on arena seem to burn just fine, even though it takes a bit more time for them to receive damage this way. I didn't want to bring back the fat bleeding, so they don't die as fast as in vanilla, though.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:23:33 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 02, 2018, 03:34:32 pm »

Heheh, yeah, well, I still got plenty of stuff to do for the next update: decided to rewrite the weapon sets and extrapolate on that elven weapons idea for a new optional (varied army compositions for humans and goblins). And that's before I start to merge the new Revised files in and organize some new folders to pack away old clothing, although, these two things should be fairly quick to do. So, I'll probably linger till the 2.0.2 (?) update, if there's something that deals with the b_detail_plan_default, body_default, c_variation_default or material_template_default.

Btw, I'd like to report that there don't seem to be any problems with the removal of melting points for organic materials as of previous version. Creatures on arena seem to burn just fine, even though it takes a bit more time for them to receive damage this way. I didn't want to bring back the fat bleeding, so they don't die as fast as in vanilla, though.

No rush on the next update: I have plenty of work as it is. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can do about elves, and I'm intrigued by both the simplified clothing and the varied army compositions idea.

2.0.2 will probably have changes to that stuff, because I'm still thinking of fusing wings and arms for most/all(?) humanoids, where applicable. It's more in line with art that I see, for DF fan art, furry art, and avians in other games.

I'll also be giving bird people arm talons and I'll be contemplating removing sponge people and giant sponges from the game, because neither make sense (sponges don't move, even in DF). No ETA.

And I'm glad to have confirmation that removing the melting point changes didn't affect anything! It's a pretty big list of changes from vanilla.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:37:24 pm by Taffer »

CarpBiter2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 07, 2018, 03:15:49 am »

I'll be contemplating removing sponge people and giant sponges from the game, because neither make sense
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The lake unfroze, the ducks drowned.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 13, 2018, 10:09:18 am »

I've noticed that quarry bushes seem to be giving leaves right away now, without the need of processing. Is this intended? If so, it is, indeed, very handy!
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 15, 2018, 08:18:10 am »

I've noticed that quarry bushes seem to be giving leaves right away now, without the need of processing. Is this intended? If so, it is, indeed, very handy!

It's part of Button's changes. I should probably improve my documentation. For the plants in particular.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 18, 2018, 09:42:07 pm »

Work is progressing. My current plans for the next version:

1) Finish censoring the tongue in cheek references to nudity and prefer 'primitive' and other nouns to 'man' and 'woman'. This is mostly done. The cheeky nudity references will return someday (expanded) as an optional module.

2) Remove most of the size adjectives. I've wasted so much time on the stupid size adjectives since starting my description work and I'm currently of the opinion that they add little to no value. I can understand wanting to know the size of the fictional animals and wanting to know the size of the giant and humanoid variations and such, but the vast majority of the animal creatures don't need size adjectives IMO. It'll have to be done thoughtfully, and I can't please everyone. At the very least, pests, vermin, and tiny creatures don't need to be called 'tiny'. I'd appreciate feedback, if anyone has any.

To be extra clear, I'm referring to the first adjective in every description sentence: small, tiny, large, etc. The big problem is that size is always relative (a big bird is usually only big in relation to other birds) and adjectives for this are inexact (how big is 'huge'?). I could compare everything to a human of middling size, but this is both an insane amount of work for me and problematic because most of the sizes are actually the same. The formula to scale up the humanoid and giant variations results in an awful lot of almost identically sized creatures and you actually lose some of the magic IMO if you know that. I already had a revised version where everything was compared to a real world animal as a size reference and it was awful because almost everything was grizzly bear sized. Right now everything has a consistent size adjective: small creatures are all in a certain SIZE range, huge creatures are all in a certain SIZE range, etc. But of course my laptop failing destroyed the actual numbers for this and the results aren't entirely satisfactory (because as already mentioned, creatures are usually only big or small in relation to similar animals, and trying to apply a crude system just means that every real insect in the game is "tiny" regardless of comparative size.

3) Avians should have wings as arms.

I'll see what else I add in; I have a reasonably long todo list still, but I also want to get the immediate description work sorted and off my plate soon.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:07:51 am by Taffer »

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 03, 2019, 08:55:01 pm »

So, uhh, I'm getting a slight problem when downloading this on windows. It seems that everything (in every single file of the raws) was compressed into a mere ~30 lines per file, completely messing up indentation and proper whitespacing.

I do note that you state something about needing a better text editor to edit things properly on windows, but I'd like to avoid downloading a 150 mb application with poor internet, and the even more drastic measure of re-adding the indentations manually is absurd given the scope of the raws.

Would there be any reason as to why I might be getting such a drastic alteration to the entire formatting of the files? I suspected it had to do with the file being zipped when I first opened it, but downloading a new copy and extracting the files from the zipped folder before opening did nothing. Downloads of other exclusively raws mods perform perfectly fine, so I'm confident in my ability to not horribly mess up a simple download.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 04, 2019, 12:59:15 am »

The problem is that notepad doesn't read the specific newline character used. If you don't want to download a better text editor, wordpad should work instead.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 04, 2019, 01:52:49 am »

Yeah, lines are separated by a newline (\n) on Linux, but are separated with a carriage return and a newline (\r\n) on Windows.

You could try to replace every instance of \n with \r\n by copying-and-pasting the characters, but it might just be simpler to download a better editor.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 04, 2019, 10:19:52 am »

Well dang, then. Wordpad does work, but I'm not sure if I'd like to bother fixing it all that way, and the download for the suggested file would take most of the day. I might just pass this up for now, since while the balances are nice, there's nothing too major in the terms of changing gameplay.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 04, 2019, 11:07:44 am »

Well dang, then. Wordpad does work, but I'm not sure if I'd like to bother fixing it all that way, and the download for the suggested file would take most of the day. I might just pass this up for now, since while the balances are nice, there's nothing too major in the terms of changing gameplay.

I'm sorry! As mentioned, this is just the difference between Windows (DOS) and Linux (Unix) line endings. I use Linux, after all, and this is also the way Git stores files by default (AFAIK). I'm sorry you don't think the gameplay balance and improvements aren't worth the download. Almost every text editor you can find will allow you to open my files without any issues; Microsoft just doesn't seem to think improving Notepad is important (too busy working on new advertisements and Candy Crush integration, I guess. ^_^)

For what it's worth, the minimalist download for Notepad++ is only 1.4MB, but perhaps you'd still prefer to download a different mod than switch editors. Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:17:45 am by Taffer »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 04, 2019, 02:41:47 pm »

Actually, I don't think newlines matter to the Dwarf Fortress raw parser, do they? You can still use the mod, the files just won't look pretty when you open them in a text editor.

EDIT: And by "replace" I meant using the native Notepad search & replace functionality, not doing it manually.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 04, 2019, 02:43:41 pm »

Actually, I don't think newlines matter to the Dwarf Fortress raw parser, do they? You can still use the mod, the files just won't look pretty when you open them in a text editor.

Correct, as far as I know. It works either way for me. If there's deeper implications I'm not aware of them.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 04, 2019, 04:17:42 pm »

Is anybody willing to do some testing, please? The newest commit is fine and will continue to be stable for a while, as I'm working almost entirely on descriptions. All bird men now have winged arms (like bats) rather than wings on their backs. Their descriptions have not all been updated accordingly, yet.

I just want to make sure that I didn't break anything. As far as I can tell bats don't currently actually have wings, just arms and the FLIER tag, so I renamed the arms in both _FLIER bodies to "winged arms" and in the animal person creature variation I search for "HUMANOID_ARMLESS_NECK:2WINGS" and I replace it with "HUMANOID_NECK_FLIER". This works for all vanilla avians, as far as I can tell. There's also no less than 3 internal limbs separating all wings from upper bodies: right and left shoulder, connected to the right and left keel, connected to the right and left wing tendon, connected finally to upper winged arms (or just wings in the case of 2WINGS). I also cap out all armor at UBSTEP:3 instead of UBSTEP:MAX, so armor can never extend past the internal wing limbs down to cover the arms. I really, really don't want armored wings and this guarantees that they'll never be armored (in theory). How avians are expected to fly with armor covering their wings is beyond me. I don't care if this is a debuff, it's realistic. They can fly, that makes up for it.

As far as descriptions go I'm progressing. The descriptions are going to be little closer to vanilla and will generally be better written. I've also done a 180 and compromised on a few touchy issues: avians will be described as "harpies" but not outright named that (same for lamias/nagas), and all naked humanoids will have a "He/she doesn't care that he's/she's naked." appended to the description, which has the bonus of letting me remove another adjective from the (usually wordy) first sentence. Oh, and all flying humanoids will have a note about being billowy, graceful, and unnaturally comparatively thin in a bit of prose inspired by Nick Alimonos and in an attempt at making flying humanoids a little more realistic. Yes, it'll be a little samey/formulaic. I don't really care. I have a lot of descriptions to go through and I'm not a good enough writer to convey the same message 50 different ways. It's a constant struggle: I'm always stumbling into some fantastic bit of prose only to realize it'd need to be copy+pasted for all similar animal people.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:25:19 pm by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33