Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Revised (v3.1.1 for v0.47.04)  (Read 146757 times)

CarpBiter2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revised v2.1.0 for v0.44.12
« Reply #315 on: March 16, 2019, 07:53:06 am »

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm dissapointed that nobody had suggested to use "dude" for all those gender things:
"Hey, there's a hyenadude in my fortress!"
"A keadude stole an anvil!"
"We're under attack by flying squirrel dudes!"

Look at this. That's poetry waiting to happen.
The lake unfroze, the ducks drowned.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 16, 2019, 05:16:55 pm »

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm dissapointed that nobody had suggested to use "dude" for all those gender things:
"Hey, there's a hyenadude in my fortress!"
"A keadude stole an anvil!"
"We're under attack by flying squirrel dudes!"

Look at this. That's poetry waiting to happen.

But what's for those of us who are not into the whole brewity thing?
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #317 on: March 16, 2019, 05:35:04 pm »

I would support Dwarf Fortress: Surfer Edition.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 18, 2019, 11:53:55 pm »

Alright. Very minor feedback Played one or two fortresses so far. Haven't been getting deep into the mod or looking for mod errors, but here's what I think.

-Didn't see any noticeable bugs.
-Not sure I'm fond of some of the renaming (like the term "male harpy" triggers me a bit. Harpies are monogendered in myth, damn it.), also while I appreciate the additional diversity in words, the names it produces are even more WTF. Half of the names seem based upon various types of gemstones, which seems fitting thematically for dwarves but does truly produce some odd results.
-Are picks no longer the second best (and most entertaining) weapon apart from vanilla whips/scourges ? That would change a bit my gamestyle. Goodbye war miners. And from what little I've seen in combat, I like the other changes.
-I like the reflavoring of creature description so far.
-How do you edit your raws ? I swear I cannot touch those raws anymore due to them being so condensed now. (And I enjoy editing stuff and making a few flavor changes.) Do you use Notepad++ or something like that ?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 19, 2019, 08:31:21 am »

Alright. Very minor feedback Played one or two fortresses so far. Haven't been getting deep into the mod or looking for mod errors, but here's what I think.

-Didn't see any noticeable bugs.

Thank you for the feedback! Let me know if you do encounter any bugs or typos!

-Not sure I'm fond of some of the renaming (like the term "male harpy" triggers me a bit. Harpies are monogendered in myth, damn it.), also while I appreciate the additional diversity in words, the names it produces are even more WTF. Half of the names seem based upon various types of gemstones, which seems fitting thematically for dwarves but does truly produce some odd results.

I like mythology myself. I have several books on greek mythology, actually. (I like this one best). It sounds like you just haven't read much modern fantasy with male harpies, to be honest. There's plenty of them today. People tend to treat the original myths as canon when they find something they haven't seen yet and ignore the original myths when it's something they're used to. Dwarves aren't mentioned as short in Norse mythology, for example, and there's plenty of things originally Tolkien in Dwarf Fortress that nobody complains about. I happen to like using the term, but I've also read several fantasy series now that use it.

I'll have to play some more before making up my mind about the Expanded Dictionary, but you're not the only one that doesn't like it.

-Are picks no longer the second best (and most entertaining) weapon apart from vanilla whips/scourges ? That would change a bit my gamestyle. Goodbye war miners. And from what little I've seen in combat, I like the other changes.

No, picks are tools and aren't intended for combat. Just like in vanilla DF, the weapons are balanced for different uses in different situations. I should document Sver's changes better, but for the most part you can read about them here. I've integrated most of Sver's DF Combat Reworked except for some minor things and except for all the added items.

-I like the reflavoring of creature description so far.

Thank you! I worked for a long time on them.

-How do you edit your raws ? I swear I cannot touch those raws anymore due to them being so condensed now. (And I enjoy editing stuff and making a few flavor changes.) Do you use Notepad++ or something like that ?

You'll need to use a better text editor to edit these files in Windows.

I'm not recommending a better text editor here, it's a truthful sentence as written. I don't care which one is used, because almost every downloadable text editor will let you see the files as intended.

I run Linux, not Windows. The files have different line endings.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:16:14 pm by Taffer »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 19, 2019, 02:05:35 pm »

-Are picks no longer the second best (and most entertaining) weapon apart from vanilla whips/scourges ? That would change a bit my gamestyle. Goodbye war miners.

Yeah, that would be a tweak from my mod. Never quite liked it how the pick was the ultimate weapon, not only possessing great attack properties, but also being easily trained to the max by the "so useful, it is inevitable" civilian labor. Now it's sort of a very unwieldy, two-handed war hammer, which can be used as a cheap anti-armor weapon. Other than that, pretty much what Taffer said.

Glad you like the experience in general :)
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 30, 2019, 03:02:57 pm »

Two little issues I'd like to report on:

1) In body_default.txt > [BODY:HUMANOID_6ARMS]
   * [BP:LUA1_J:first left shoulder:STP] - has a duplicate line.

2) Not a Revised issue per-say, but a one that is present in vanilla DF.
   In b_detail_plan_default.txt > [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
   * [BP_POSITION:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH:FRONT] - is lacking. Every other facial feature is defined like this, however.
   * [BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:CHEEK:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:TEETH:100] and [BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:LIP:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:TEETH:100] - there is no "TEETH" bp category in vanilla DF. Needs to be replaced with "TOOTH" for proper functioning.
DF Combat Reworked

flyteofheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 03, 2019, 11:28:58 am »

Hey! Been playing this mod for ages, love it. So glad you did not implement some of the more extreme changes like unifying leather and such. Im happy with everything you have changed.

However iv gotten to the point where I like adding modded races and creatures and items to my games to spice it up. Im curious what I can do to merge a big civ/invasion mod like ZM5s with this one. I know the obvious things like making sure I merge the default raws sensibly, like adding any zm5 reactions to your edited dwarf raw.

But what would be the best way to give the other civs the combat changes? Or is that already seperate from their individual new raw pages? For example making their unarmed combat weaker and their ribs have more coverage or whatever else changes you have made. And perhaps include some more of svers weapons.

Any advice would be helpful. Im not asking you to do it for me ofc, im more than willing to painstakingly do it! I tend to set up a "modded profile" and play with it for months before changing anything so its worth it to me.

Thanks!
Encrusted with fried bread and menacing with spikes of coconuts
living the dream

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 06, 2019, 02:53:40 am »

They should be mostly compatible - at least the ones which use vanilla materials for their bodies and equipment, since those are packaged in a separate file (material_template_default.txt). Same applies to body_detail_plan.txt which contains the tweaks to rib coverage and head thickness. Taking a brief look at ZM's raws, I can say that there is no unnecessary use of modded materials or body plans - so the only creatures standing out of the balance will be the ones intended to stand out.

The unarmed combat nerf would need to be applied individually to each new creature, though - by adding/modifying the [ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:500] (the default value is 1000) tag to each natural attack.

As for weapons, you'd really need to replace the entire thing with my stuff. The easiest way, I think, is to take the closest analogue for a ZM's weapon from my mod and then copy and replace everything on a ZM's weapon, except for its tag and name. This saves you the time editing every single entity file otherwise and keeps the flavor. For instance, take the bloodsucking nobles from the Darkest Dungeon pack: their rapiers can be replaced with my estoc's properties to make them more balanced, while retaining the idea of a stabby sword.

ZM's armors should be fully compatible as is.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:30:43 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 07, 2019, 09:40:25 am »

I hadn't updated the mod in a while so I hadn't noticed the new "expanded" language files before, but I really feel they could use some trimming, otherwise just removing it; at the moment the names it creates by giving every object in the game a word (whether or not it's grammatical (it mostly isn't) are huge unreadable strings of syllables. I appreciate the sentiment of an extended language but it goes beyond flavour into hindering being able to understand a screen when the names too often try to string together 'The Microcline-block Faint-Yellow-Diamond Mechanic's-Workshop of White-Millet-Plants' as dwarven. Every other facet of the mod is so great it kind of baffles me.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 07, 2019, 10:22:56 am »

Yeah, the expanded dictionary might be a bit too expanded. Though it does sometimes invoke some neat stuff like "The Chaos Hinterlands" for a region name.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 07, 2019, 01:01:46 pm »

Gotta agree on this one, the hyphenated words just turn a lot of names into a word salad.
DF Combat Reworked

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 08, 2019, 12:09:55 am »

The expanded dictionary will be deleted. I'm just busy lately, but I'll try to get around to fixing the reported errors, knock a few things off of the todo list, and I'll remove the expanded dictionary.

I'd mentioned mastodons earlier--I probably won't add them after all. Mostly I just don't want to spare the time testing them properly and making sure they don't skew creature populations heavily.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 11, 2019, 02:04:16 am »

Is it normal that in adventurer mode, attacks seem to be way slower than normal? Like a regular slash or stab with a longsword is "VVSlow".
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 11, 2019, 01:23:36 pm »

Is it normal that in adventurer mode, attacks seem to be way slower than normal? Like a regular slash or stab with a longsword is "VVSlow".

Yes. That's a part of the weapon rebalance from my mod. Combat speed has been readjusted and generally made much slower. 'Stab', 'slash' and similar attacks have been made proportionally slower. As a counterbalance, most edged weapons have been given new 'jab' and 'cut' attacks which are a faster, yet weaker variations (will still cause bleeding in poorly armored targets). The reasoning and the goals for this are as follows:
- A walking step in DF is roughly 9 ticks. A sprinting human step is about 6-7 ticks. Realistically, landing a full swing would take about the same amount of time as a running step does, and recover would take about half a step. Thus, the average swing now has 7:4 for prepare:recover time.
- This makes movement speed more important in combat overall. As the combat is now slower-paced in general and wall-to-wall combat specifically is less deadly (easier blocking), active tactics and squad microing in Fort Mode become much more fun and fruitful than with vanilla attack speeds; in Adv Mode, combat is less random and fighting multiple opponents at once is notably harder. Over time effects, such as bleeding, will also be more important, and so will be any other background event that can happen during the longer attack delays.
- This system allows for much more diversified weapon speeds and, thus, better reach simulation. Pikes now have a very meaningful advantage over, say, an axe, even at higher skill levels.
- Skills now matter more too. I don't know how the exact speed bonus is calculated, but in vanilla there are basically only 3 levels of combat speed: "no skill" (3:3), "average skill" (2:2) and "as fast as mechanically possible" (1:1). The new system should give a much better feel of progression.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:45:53 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33