Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Revised (v3.1.1 for v0.47.04)  (Read 147277 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revised v2.1.0 for v0.44.12
« Reply #330 on: April 11, 2019, 01:52:39 pm »

The expanded dictionary will be deleted.

No it won't be. I like it too much. Instead I'm manually cleaning it up by removing bigly and hypenated words; I'll also see about reverting all vanilla words back to their original spelling (comparing to vanilla will be possible again) and doing a sanity pass over the whole thing (no duplicated words anywhere, no missing translations, etc) I have chosen the way of pain. If anyone has any particular words to complain about or (more) feedback about the dictionaries, please let me know. Words removed so far:

-perigee
-abrogate
-abjure
-abseil
-abstruse
-agglomerate
-aggrandize
-agoraphobia
-apartment
-arboriculture
-arriviste
-assonance
-boardroom
-bomb
-bootee
-bouffant
-boucle
-bouillon
-bradawl
-braille
-breathing-space
-bric-a-brac
-briefcase

This will take a while, and I'm still fairly busy IRL. I'm documenting everything so I can pass the feedback onto GoblinCookie. No ETA, but my sincere hope is that after a thorough review (or two) the dictionaries will be more palatable to people. Unless you were complaining about the new lewd words; in that case you'll still need to complain, because I enjoy them.

They should be mostly compatible - ...

Is it normal that in adventurer mode, attacks seem to be way slower than normal? Like a regular slash or stab with a longsword is "VVSlow".

Yes. That's a part of the weapon rebalance from my mod.

Thank you so much for being responsive to issues, Sver. Knowing how to answer these kinds of questions is a big concern of mine whenever I bring in another author's work.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:42:56 pm by Taffer »

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 11, 2019, 06:16:42 pm »

I see! Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I was worrying there was some bug with the new weapon sizes or something causing the game to freak out and give the speed as abnormally slow.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 12, 2019, 03:18:10 pm »

Honestly glad you chose the wheel of pain here, as a lot of the words did spice things up. I had started to do a manual pass myself but I just don't have the brainspace for it. It feels much more in line with the whole flavour of Revised to meticulously pore over the whole dictionary making edits like an insane hermetic scholar, even if it means we don't get a release for a bit. Kudos to you for your efforts.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 12, 2019, 03:48:01 pm »

The current list of removed words, just to give people a better idea of the kind of words going away. This isn't an exhaustive list of all changes either, sometimes I'm substituting simpler language. There's an awful lot of gray area here: I'm thinking of words like meridian, radius, diameter, etc. I don't want to remove too much so I haven't been; an argument could be made though that these kinds of domain-specific words will never be used in context anyway and I want to hear people's thoughts on that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I want to re-iterate that all feedback is valuable here, even (and particularly) specific sentences or names that seem out of place (along with where you saw them, the context). The more feedback I get the more I can polish this up. Cleaning up the dictionaries is a lot more than just removing the big words: often a word is common as a verb (for example) but it's never used as a noun. Or perhaps a word is associated with a specific context that it shouldn't be. Or maybe one of the noun patterns is wrong (eg [OF_NOUN_PLUR]).

Honestly glad you chose the wheel of pain here, as a lot of the words did spice things up. I had started to do a manual pass myself but I just don't have the brainspace for it. It feels much more in line with the whole flavour of Revised to meticulously pore over the whole dictionary making edits like an insane hermetic scholar, even if it means we don't get a release for a bit. Kudos to you for your efforts.

I'm honestly glad as well, actually. It's got me working on Revised again and I'm excited to see the cleaned up dictionary myself. Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 03:51:34 pm by Taffer »

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 12, 2019, 04:58:30 pm »

I'll keep an eye out for phrases or misuses that nag me and post them when I can. I know I've come across a lot already but I'll make sure to actually note syntactical stuff going forward. There's plenty of using verbs as nouns and other nonsense that comes to mind.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Revised (v2.1.0 for v0.44.12)
« Reply #335 on: April 17, 2019, 05:08:18 am »

If you're taking suggestions, Taffer, I've dipped back in after a while and would love to offer some stuff; grasping tails for snakemen and smaller reptile-men, for example, though I don't know how you'd feel about that.

One omission I thought appropriate to fix is the lack of training weapons for mace/hammer dwarves. A remedy is offered below, if desired.

DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 17, 2019, 08:05:41 am »

If you're taking suggestions, Taffer, I've dipped back in after a while and would love to offer some stuff; grasping tails for snakemen and smaller reptile-men, for example, though I don't know how you'd feel about that.

Welcome back! I'm always taking suggestions and criticism. I've seen the embedded internal grasping tails here and there in the forums, and I'm interested. Why should the reptile people be smaller?

Look at your bonfire mod! I was focused on the descriptions for a while but now's when I was going to go through my todo list, and looking at your Bonfire 2.0 mod (and your Better Bugmen mod) is on it. I posted a question in the Bonfire thread wondering if it could be made more lightweight, and it looks like there's some concern in there about functionality?

One omission I thought appropriate to fix is the lack of training weapons for mace/hammer dwarves. A remedy is offered below, if desired.

I'll consider adding training cudgels and mallets! The weapons side of my mod is Sver's work at this point, and I think Sver has these as well. I'll look into adding it. The next update will take a bit because I'm trimming the expanded dictionary.

Thank you for the suggestions!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:14:46 am by Taffer »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 19, 2019, 06:28:10 am »

Having a VERY strange bug. Bows are listed as digging implements and battle axes refuse to show up in embark despite multiple worldgens and attempts to adjust their variables - metal training axes show up instead. Gonna post in Sver's thread as well, since I'm pretty sure it has to do with his item adjustments.
Edit: Fixed.

As for the Bonfire mod: The core function is still bugged because of smoke pathfinding. Dwarves will not move through smoke willingly sometimes, which means that they'll become stuck on the workshop. They may also be getting stuck because of a lack of another task to immediately pull them away, which causes a brief "what do I do now?" pause that gets them caught on fire. However, the addition of metal poison/coal poison dusts to ore smelting and reactions works flawlessly and adds a fair bit of !!fun!! to the metalworking industry. I could probably stand to rework Peat somehow, though, but it's been so long I'd have to re-learn what the hell I'm doing with it and the installation of it is far too cantankerous. Conceptually, the idea of free infinite fuel with a chance to start a fire seems like a good tradeoff.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 10:02:16 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Revised (v2.1.0 for v0.44.12) (Hiatus)
« Reply #338 on: April 26, 2019, 05:20:31 pm »

I'm on hiatus for now. This is feeling more and more like a chore, to be honest. I don't think I've sat down to actually play in years, excluding testing here and there. No idea when or if I'll return.

Sorry. Hopefully somebody is willing to up to maintain this.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:25:49 pm by Taffer »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 26, 2019, 11:26:27 pm »

Sayonara, Taffer.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 27, 2019, 04:05:49 am »

Health and enjoyment always come first. Take all the time you need.

Dragonslayerelf

• Bay Watcher
  • Respectable Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 03, 2019, 08:29:20 am »

Is Vordak still working on his graphics?

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 07, 2019, 05:15:15 pm »

This was a cool project.  Thanks for doing it as much as you did Taffer.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 18, 2019, 07:23:37 pm »

I'm messing with this right now, using the latest version on the git to update Meph's tileset LNP, which has an older version.
When was [SHELL], [ITEMS_HARD] and [ITEMS_SCALED] removed from [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:CHITIN_TEMPLATE] in the material_template_default? Was this because chitin was made useable as a leather, and didn't need to be a shell?
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 19, 2019, 05:47:38 am »

Huh, thanks for noticing!

It appears that Taffer wanted to do something with it, like a unique type of chitin-leather (there is a template for it), but either rolled back or didn't quite finish, as the template is not used anywhere and chitin just yields regular leather.

Personally, I think shell-chitin is more fun and useful.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33