Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Revised (v3.1.1 for v0.47.04)  (Read 147250 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Revised (v2.1.0 for v0.44.12) (New poll up!)
« Reply #375 on: July 31, 2019, 04:41:43 pm »

I'm almost done merging in Sver's work, but I'll not be using the embedded fingers and toes, skin-on-the-inside throats, internal facial features, and boneless fingers from Sver's work (aka the more esoteric balancing). I'm thinking of reverting to vanilla for weapons and armor and keeping Sver's materials work, tissues, and other tweaks, but I'm not sure.

If anyone knows the item files well and has some thoughts on this, please speak up.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 05:05:08 pm by Taffer »

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 06, 2019, 03:55:54 am »

I'd need to go over things again to double check for gaps, but I think the vanilla marked weapons in Sver's would work just great. Those sets are daunting and can probably be set aside, but the reworked weapon values really improve on vanilla combat.

If you're at all interested(and assuming I can be timely), I'm about 90% through building a relatively simplified weapon and armor system for my own game(running a merged Revised+Sver base, so shoulders/hips). It features closer to vanilla material costs, a less dizzying array of weapons(roughly 30% more than vanilla, enough to fill some gaps and present some choice) with slower combat pacing. Armor keeps depth but has straight forward options(and doesn't cost as much as an entire vanilla uniform for one piece :P).

It'll take me a day or two to finishing commenting the files and write a reference sheet (and to make sure I didn't do anything dumb), but I'd be happy to bundle it off to you if it would be any use. It's purely item_* files and plus an Entity inclusion list, so it should be easy to try out.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 06, 2019, 11:12:36 am »

I'd need to go over things again to double check for gaps, but I think the vanilla marked weapons in Sver's would work just great. Those sets are daunting and can probably be set aside, but the reworked weapon values really improve on vanilla combat.

If you're at all interested(and assuming I can be timely), I'm about 90% through building a relatively simplified weapon and armor system for my own game(running a merged Revised+Sver base, so shoulders/hips). It features closer to vanilla material costs, a less dizzying array of weapons(roughly 30% more than vanilla, enough to fill some gaps and present some choice) with slower combat pacing. Armor keeps depth but has straight forward options(and doesn't cost as much as an entire vanilla uniform for one piece :P).

It'll take me a day or two to finishing commenting the files and write a reference sheet (and to make sure I didn't do anything dumb), but I'd be happy to bundle it off to you if it would be any use. It's purely item_* files and plus an Entity inclusion list, so it should be easy to try out.

I'm definitely interested. I haven't done the testing work necessary to truly grok the problems and available solutions in the item files, so so far I've largely leaned on Sver's work to handle this for me. I just don't want to end up with weird combat problems a year from now and not know how best to fix it (other than revert to vanilla).

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 08, 2019, 11:35:23 pm »

Still hard at work on this. Things always take longer than you think heh.

Edit: Almost done now. Just have the guide sheets left to write up.

Edit2: Done, just need to package it up and then test an install (Vanilla->Taffer->Sver(tissue/mats)->Mine) to make sure it behaves like in my build environment.

Edit3: still haven't gotten a chance to do a full set of testing, busy IRL. Looking to have this ready for Taffer by the weekend.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:23:54 pm by Nihilist »

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 17, 2019, 06:07:11 pm »

I've been having trouble integrating your mod into Meph's tileset. Your old language raws were causing crashes, and I have no idea why. What do you think? Here's my error log before crash.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I updated to your latest raws and I don't crash anymore.
Which is great! But I'm still getting errors from your giant creatures, which is mysterious. Log below.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 06:32:07 pm by Darkond2100 »
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 18, 2019, 07:48:50 am »

Edit: I updated to your latest raws and I don't crash anymore.
Which is great! But I'm still getting errors from your giant creatures, which is mysterious. Log below.

Those first errors look like material tag issues. Maybe missing a SELECT_MATERIAL before those tags. Hard to tell without seeing the raw. The last error looks like you are missing a colon or have a duplicate colon in the color tags.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 19, 2019, 03:53:10 pm »

Here's the raws. Runs just fine, minus the error log. Playing with Meph's graphics is nice.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14395
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

RedDwarfStepper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 25, 2019, 09:23:55 am »

using the latest revision (downloaded yesterday from https://gitlab.com/dwarf-fortress/revised/tree/master) I get the following error in the errorlog.txt for every generated world:

Unrecognized word token: TAUPE_GREY
*** Error(s) finalizing the translation DWARF
*** Error(s) finalizing the translation ELF
*** Error(s) finalizing the translation GOBLIN
*** Error(s) finalizing the translation HUMAN

it seems the word is missing in both language_words.txt and language_SYM.txt

Again: Thank you for keeping up the good work!

RedDwarfStepper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 25, 2019, 03:09:33 pm »

TAUPE_GREY

should be
TAUPE_GRAY
in all of the language_[RACE].txt files

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 26, 2019, 01:31:02 pm »

I don't know if I need to beg you or Sver, but dogs -still- don't seem to use their bite attacks. I mean, ever. Most non-giant war animals, actually, only seem to ineffectually paw at things until they're pasted. I feel like that bug has been around in the standard game for a long time too, but I do have a memory of things being bitten, at one time.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 26, 2019, 06:47:47 pm »

I don't know if I need to beg you or Sver, but dogs -still- don't seem to use their bite attacks. I mean, ever. Most non-giant war animals, actually, only seem to ineffectually paw at things until they're pasted. I feel like that bug has been around in the standard game for a long time too, but I do have a memory of things being bitten, at one time.

It's in the base game, a problem with conflict levels: war animals "withhold" from lethal combat that is implied by the bite's [ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH] tag skill. The only way to fix it is probably to remove all other attacks from the dogs (or whatever war animals there are) - and I'm not sure if this will help or just make them even more passive. Removing the _CANLATCH from the bite might also help, but then the bite will become about as weak as the pawing.

UPD:
Reading up on the bug report, it seems that this problem can be somewhat fixed by changing the bite's skill to something other than BITE. Like [ATTACK_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE], for instance.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 07:07:38 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 26, 2019, 08:56:08 pm »

Mm, I was afraid the fix wasn't anything simple otherwise it would've been done already. I might play around with the tags and see if anything shakes loose but it's a hellish amount of work to do for everything war-enabled I've added already. Suppose I can continue to live with it.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 27, 2019, 01:48:47 pm »

Finally have some time to finish this up. Sorry about the delay.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 07, 2019, 12:18:01 am »

I'm slowly starting to plug away at this again. I've been completely unable to make up my mind between mostly vanilla item files and mostly Sver item files and I haven't heard about Nihilist's work.

I confess that both time and willpower are relatively low at the moment, so it's slow. Things will get done, though.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 12:34:41 am by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Revised (v2.2.0 for v0.44.12) (New poll up!)
« Reply #389 on: September 20, 2019, 10:17:46 pm »

A new release! The simplified names remain, for now.

The most important change out of the way: the fixes Sver made to weapons and armor have been reverted. I'm sorry. I went back and forth so many damn times, but I ended up deciding that I should either full-ass Sver's mod or no-ass it. This half-ass business wasn't going to do anyone any favors, because many of the vanilla clothing items and armor aren't even included in the game by default with Sver's normal work. I also decided it was important to me that all changes I've made to the RAWs should be relatively self explanatory, and the changed weapon attacks weren't self-explanatory.

That being said, there's still plenty of combat improvements. Sver's toughened materials are in place. Toughened joints and tissues. There's still no armor or clothing with perfect coverage. My old work based on Coherent Weapons is back in place. I hope that this is a compromise that people find acceptable. I also hope I haven't offended Sver, because I think the mod is great: I'm just reluctant to half-ass integration of it. I highly recommend people give the full experience a try, even if Sver doesn't update the Revised compatibility. I'd love to hear people's feedback on combat in this version.

With that out of the way,

Fixes:
- lips and cheeks now properly surround teeth. (Sver)
- removed a duplicate left shoulder (my bug, not Toady's)
- minor description updates and fixes.

Combat:
- fingers now have bones again, just like vanilla.
- joints have been strengthened. (Sver)
- removed the elf-specific clubs and tridents. They now wield maces, spears, and mauls. They still use greatarrows instead of arrows.

Misc:
- teeth are located at the front of the face. (Sver)
- animal people's bodies now vary slightly per individual. (Warlord255)
- animal people now have mannerisms. (Warlord255)
- scales no longer yield leather. This makes scale relatively useless again, but is more consistent with mod-added and randomly generated creatures.
- feathery leather is no more.
- updated the expanded dictionary. There's one fix and fewer obscure words.

Flavor:
- many, many vocalizations have been added. (Warlord255)
- several animal people now have high velocity kicks. (Warlord255)
- animal people now have innate skills and attributes that suit them. (Warlord255)
- worm people now have long arms. (Warlord255)
- 'bluejays' are now 'blue jays' again.
- birds of prey can be trained to hunt (Warlord255)
- cassowaries are more dangerous. (Warlord255)
- 'fur' is now 'hair' again on animals.
- feline people clean themselves. (Warlord255)

The relatively short changelog doesn't do justice to all the great work that was integrated from Vanilla-Spice Revised, by Warlord255.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:27:31 pm by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33