Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Revised (v3.1.1 for v0.47.04)  (Read 144300 times)

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Revised for 0.43.05
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 04:08:02 pm »

Not getting any seeds back from having plump helmets cooked and not getting fat from butchering animals what might be wrong?

edit: Never mind the fat part Kitchen might have just used it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:14:11 pm by KillzEmAllGod »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2017, 11:34:26 am »

With the Tiered system how much would beasts like elephants, hydras and dragons give more in leather?
How many tiers are there and does it have quality and quantity?

What else will Accelerated remove in terms of redundant excess will gems, ores and fat?

Are there plans to change how growing works for above ground and below ground crops?

Would be good if tiered system did both of that knowing that you could hunt some small but valuable for good quality leather.

I wouldn't mind gems being brought down to a tier system as well, as for metals limonite is an iron ore that could be removed though not sure what this would have an effect on in world generation of resources.

The whole lack of seasons while underground doesn't make too much sense for why they're grown like that, though I'm not sure if you want to go that far to change it but if you do it would be worthwhile making the above ground crops have a season while changing below ground to grow slower but can be all year. Though plump helmets and dimple cups should be largely unchanged.

Tiered leather only affects quality, not quantity. I'm not interested in giving more leather for larger creatures: food is already trivial to acquire, I'd rather not make leather trivial to get as well. You'd have to earn your dragonscale, not be granted enough to outfit an army from just one dragon. The specific tiers are "suede, leather, hide, chitin, scale, dragonscale".

I honestly forget what all Accelerated specifically does. At the moment I'm waiting for Button to complete the Modest Mod/Accelerated update. When that's done and I've had time to look at it, I'll be sure to post my thoughts and detail what it will mean for Revised if I do integrate it.

I have no plans to change farming. Button's plant changes from the Modest Mod are almost all intact, though. If somebody else balances farming better then I'll consider integrating those changes, but I don't have the time or interest to find a better solution myself.

I'm not sure about tiered gems or metals. I'm interested in tiered leather because the current system is ridiculous: I already like both gems and metals, though.

Thank you!

Not getting any seeds back from having plump helmets cooked and not getting fat from butchering animals what might be wrong?

edit: Never mind the fat part Kitchen might have just used it.

I'm not sure why this is the case, and I don't have much time to test right now. Are you sure about the plump helmet seeds? I haven't changed plump helmets at all, nor have I changed any relevant cooking reaction. Let me know if this is still an issue for you, please!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 07:17:14 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2017, 11:55:54 am »

I often skim the 4chan Dwarf Fortress general, mostly because in amidst the nonsense there's sometimes nice artwork posted. I thought I'd respond to the quote below. I wish people would tell me these things, but often some of the best input I've had comes from people complaining somewhere else and assuming I know the problems already.

I love critique. Honestly. If anybody has any complaints, please tell me. I may (or may not) agree with you, but you won't offend me.

I f-cking miss Dwarf Chocolate.

So hard to find a mod that doesn't throw in 10 really weird ideas that break the game or kill the flavor. Taffer's compilation mod ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161832.0 ) is filled with great ideas, but then it has other shit that bugs me to no end like renaming "upper body" to "chest" so that have to read nonsensical sentences about punching people in the chest from behind, or changing the title of "Great White Shark" to "White Shark" as a means of simplifying the text output.

Is there a single almost-vanilla mod updated for 43.05? I hate to talk shit because what these modders do is so far beyond what I could accomplish in any reasonable amount of time, but why does it always go so f-cking dumb and autistic with the needless tweaks?

Apologies to Taffer, best tileset artist there ever was.

I'm absolutely willing to remove the "Modest bodies" modification, or at least remove some of the more egregious examples. Is it just "upper body" becomes "chest" that annoys you? What about forearms and thighs, rather than "lower arms" and "upper legs"? Hind legs and forelegs? I find the renamed body parts make combat logs more pleasant to read, but I'm not particularly attached to them. It is odd to punch somebody's chest from behind. I'll remove this from the next release (whenever that happens) unless somebody steps in to defend it.

The renamed creatures is primarily to make leather products more palatable: wearing "great white shark leather boots" is just unnecessarily wordy. If Toady ever fixes this to be "shark leather boots" I'll reconsider the feature. If I do integrated Accelerated and tiered leather, I'd also consider removing it (although I'd hazard a guess that you'd dislike Accelerated). It's worth noting that most of the simplifications are already used in the "real world". The wikipedia page for great white sharks lists "white shark" as an acceptable substitute, and the same is true for many (not all) of my simplifications. Another reason I like it is that while the verbose creature names are good for getting you to think about specific animals and what they look like, it's not really good for in-universe consistency. There's only one species of falcon in Dwarf Fortress, so why on earth are they called "peregrine falcons"? I prefer simple names here to the complex ones.

I'm more attached to the renamed creatures than I am to the renamed body parts, but I'll consider making renamed creatures a module if enough people speak up.

What other changes do you dislike?

I hate to talk shit

This isn't "talking shit" (aside from one of the last sentences), it's posting some of the best (and only) criticism I've had about my mod. Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:18:46 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 12:13:20 pm »

I'm rethinking my new elven weapons. I quite like that they're using wood more effectively and that they can siege now, but atlatls in particular seem like something people don't like. Any ideas? Perhaps I can just rename them spear-thrower: it's less "exotic" that way. For now I've just removed atlatls (in favour of the vanilla bows) and the new wooden spears. I might complete the cull and remove the new clubs as well, because I'd rather they wield consistently bad weapons than weapons that are inconsistently good (wooden spears and bows bad, clubs good).

In my opinion this is a problem with DF's lore: wooden weapons generally aren't known for being effective. In a way I'd rather see if Toady buffs elves when magic is released.

I'll try to find the time to do the testing required to balance metals like I want and improve elven weapons.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:20:51 pm by Taffer »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 01:56:00 pm »

Disclaimer: I am not the 4channer. Just adding my 2 cents.

I like everything about the inclusion of modest bodies except "chest" and "calf". What I don't like about "chest" is when you put away your weapon and/or shield the game says you strap them to your chest. And calf is just the back of the lower leg and shin would only be slightly better. But I would keep thigh, forearm, fore leg, and hind leg.

I also dislike the long-ass names of leather items. (Ideally, they'd just be called "leather *whatever*" with specific type of leather stated in the description. But, I guess that's something Toady would have to do.)

Elves without bows just seems so strange to me. Especially since they're made of wood. It also seems strange that all these civs are trading with each other but don't adopt other's superior tech.

Other than those two things (which I consider minor) I have nothing else to complain about. Well, not anything the about mod, anyway. (If you're adjusting descriptions you might look at vanilla (giant) cave swallows, "a *size* blue and orange bird" - which always has brown feathers and skin that might be close to orange but never actually is "orange".)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2017, 06:31:21 pm »

On dwarf chocolate Mostly Mythical Monsters Modular Mod comes close with some of the things though there's a lot of imbalanced syndromes. Might have a look around for some mods though one thing I hate are crundles they're the most worthless creature in the game. They just get stuck climbing and don't even bother attacking dwarfs and fps likes to take a hit from them.

On elves if you want to balance just give them a tree that's good for weapons though not sure how that would have to be worked out.

I don't think anyone will defend modest bodies, I'm not sure what it does seeing as I use Grimlocke's and hes gone to absurd lengths to balance things. Changing the name of chest to torso or where people pick up where it might not make sense might help.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2017, 10:45:51 am »

Thank you! Trying my next embark with this, merged with Fortress Defence. So far there's no file conflicts, so we'll see how things go. :)

Also especially thank you for posting the github repo. Starred and watched. :)

~ McT

Lankypt1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2017, 02:03:38 am »

Hi Taffer, I was the 4chan poster you referred to. I was mostly flippantly complaining there in order to spark dialogue and bump the thread, but my complaints were genuine. I appreciate the understanding about the language used, social mores are very loose on that site and sometimes some vitriol can help express one's feelings efficiently.

I played your mod and enjoyed it until those two events occurred, the from-behind chest punching and a couple renamed animals. My gripe was merely about text flavor and immersion while reading text output, so in reality the "autism" is on me. I very much like Ziusudra's take on how to handle bodypart names, and would reconsider my gripes about the animal names in hindsight. Some will inevitably sound awkward to my delicate ears, but upon reading the thread more closely I'm not so miffed, the "also known as" descriptions would be very helpful and everything sounds like progress.

I just didn't want to post my criticisms here because it seemed clear that text simplification was a big part your MO here, plus I'm a big fan of your stuff generally speaking. I'll be sure to post the constructive parts of my criticisms in-thread in the future, thanks for taking an interest in an internet tough guy's opinions. Will play adv-mode for a while and see if there's anything else I can shit on for you.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2017, 03:55:37 pm »

The biological terms are "thorax" and "abdomen." though I think "torso" could sub for thorax, even though it technically includes the abdomen.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2017, 12:06:53 am »

Just providing some feedback that this working with great with the Linux LNP and Fortress defence, although I had to compile dfhack from source to get a bunch of stability improvements for 43.05, and everything has been 100% solid since I did. The tooltips are great, the extra reactions are appreciated, it feels just like vanilla DF but with a little more polish and balance. A+ work.

The only thing which has been remotely weird is some dwarf's pet bird (I think a guineafowl) is underground scratching up worms, but the area it's in is dry rock, rather than soil or muddied rock, which doesn't seem like a worm-friendly environ. But that has absolutely no impact on gameplay, and honestly it's kinda awesome to watch a bird scratching up worms to begin with. :D

Many thanks again!

~ McT

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2017, 09:38:41 am »

Het Taffer, buddy its been awhile since I talked with you,  anyways I was reviewing mods (actually I was looking for a good current version of modest milling, but that's a side note).  I noticed you are still advertising expanded dictionary... I've canceled that project all the way around... Its just not something I'm willing to continue to try and make into a viable product. If you still have the files for it, you're welcome to continue updating it, but I don't plan to return to the project.

anyways It doesn't look like you have the modest mass mill stuff in your raws... I was hoping to find one with all the plants fixed so I wont need to manually fix them in the current version of MDF... I guess I'm headed to the notepad++...

Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2017, 11:03:34 am »

The only thing which has been remotely weird is some dwarf's pet bird (I think a guineafowl) is underground scratching up worms, but the area it's in is dry rock, rather than soil or muddied rock, which doesn't seem like a worm-friendly environ. But that has absolutely no impact on gameplay, and honestly it's kinda awesome to watch a bird scratching up worms to begin with. :D

Many thanks again!

~ McT

Fixed on Github (has been since shortly after you left this message, actually). Whenever I finish the next edition, it'll be in it. Thanks for the vote of confidence and for letting me know about the worms! It was a modest mod change, but I didn't know it meant they spawn on dry rock.

Het Taffer, buddy its been awhile since I talked with you,  anyways I was reviewing mods (actually I was looking for a good current version of modest milling, but that's a side note).  I noticed you are still advertising expanded dictionary... I've canceled that project all the way around... Its just not something I'm willing to continue to try and make into a viable product. If you still have the files for it, you're welcome to continue updating it, but I don't plan to return to the project.

anyways It doesn't look like you have the modest mass mill stuff in your raws... I was hoping to find one with all the plants fixed so I wont need to manually fix them in the current version of MDF... I guess I'm headed to the notepad++...

Thanks for the heads up about the dictionary. I'll review the Modest Mod's reactions and see about adding in a few more, but the next update probably won't be ready for a while.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 11:25:46 am by Taffer »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2017, 03:32:14 pm »

no problem...  I'm writing a lua script to do this edit... since it propagates across multiple files(all the graphic folder in MDF...grrr...) .
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

RedDwarfStepper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2017, 04:37:58 pm »

no problem...  I'm writing a lua script to do this edit... since it propagates across multiple files(all the graphic folder in MDF...grrr...) .

Hey Amostubal - did you write that lua script? I had a similar problem as I wanted to get the fixes of df_revised merged into the standard Phoebus pack. Having some time at hand I mucked around with an existing library for parsing the raws (https://github.com/Caldfir/RCFC2) and wrote a little java program - if you have any need for it let me know.
Currently it only processes certain hardcoded tags (mostly plant stuff like *_TILE, *_COLOR and GROWTH_PRINT) but I could add configuration capabilities...

burrito25man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2017, 01:35:29 am »

I posted to thank you for the mod, only to release I thanked you when you first made this mod  :o :o :o
None the less, keep up the good work Taffer!  :P :P
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:39:27 am by burrito25man »
It's a slippery slope.  You start out modding, then move on to hard DFHacking, and next thing you know you're making your own games...

LUA Script: Workaround for butchering Sentients
 - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165414.0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33