Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Revised (v3.1.1 for v0.47.04)  (Read 144268 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revised
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2017, 10:30:49 pm »

seems you finished the reptiles in the repo. I'm looking forward for your release 1.4!
Also I like the comments a lot. As I always end up modifying such mods a bit to my taste such a documented collection of changes is quite helpful. Especially after coming back again to DF  ;)
Keep it up!

Thank you for the show of support! It makes me smile.

1.4 is progressing, but its progressing slowly. I just don't have much free time right now, and often get writers block when I do sit down to get some writing done. It's starting to look like I won't finish before the next DF release, which will be a shame. I won't support the next release until the writing is done.

I'm just finishing up creature_riverlakepool_new.txt. This leaves me with the descriptions in:

• creature_next_underground.txt
  • creature_small_mammal_new.txt
  • creature_small_mammals.txt
  • creature_small_ocean.txt
  • creature_small_riverlake.txt
  • creature_standard.txt
  • creature_subterranean.txt
  • creature_temperate_new.txt
  • creature_tropical_new.txt

There's a todo list on top of that, but that's comparatively easy.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:41:57 am by Taffer »

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2017, 07:12:30 pm »

I thought I had an error, but I think the mistake is on me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:24:16 pm by Deinos »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2017, 07:38:14 pm »

PTW for interest.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2017, 12:58:14 pm »

A variety of reasons have contributed to me not writing descriptions much lately, which leaves me in the annoying position of having a major new update half-finished.

I think it would be almost as much work to update the current version now and merge the half-finished work in after than it would be to just update everything, so I'll try to pick up the pace and proceed that way. It'll take some time, unfortunately, because I'm a perfectionist and I want to do this right.

The update will be well worth it, IMO. The new descriptions are good enough to be considered the "best part" about the mod.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2017, 04:00:25 am »

Looks like this is compatible with 44.02 along with Grimlocke's mod.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2017, 08:17:50 am »

Looks like this is compatible with 44.02 along with Grimlocke's mod.

0.44.02 made changes to the raws that need to be merged in. I'm not sure what will happen if those changes aren't merged in.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2017, 09:47:29 pm »

Link

I've updated the mod to DF 0.44.02, since Taffer seemed a bit occupied with other things.
All the new tags and tokens were added, and scout tag was removed from kobolds as per file changes.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 10:23:09 pm by DoomOnion »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2017, 10:39:35 pm »

Link

I've updated the mod to DF 0.44.02, since Taffer seemed a bit occupied with other things.
All the new tags and tokens were added, and scout tag was removed from kobolds as per file changes.

Thank you kindly! Please let me know what suggestions you have: I'll be seeing what I can cut from the mod and I have a list of small things I want to do after the description update: most notable might be an armor simplification inspired by Grimlocke's mod (no "leg armor", armor protects necks, lower body, and legs by default).

I noticed your combined version, DoomOnion, and appreciated the indirect feedback: I hadn't thought about fruit seeds causing clutter in Fortress mode. I'll probably go the opposite way and delete any new seeds that I've added, and if there are any useless seeds in vanilla I'll add edible to those ones.

Some rambling about the next version, because I don't want anybody to think I've abandoned the mod. I don't ever want the mod to feel bloated with features, but I also won't hesitate to add features if they match my vision. There's a reason I stopped maintaining my modest mod fork and moved my work over to Revised.

I similarly have some FPS tweaks here and there: less clothing for goblins and elves (idea borrowed from Accelerated, to reduce FPS drops from invasions. Also fun lore, IMO). Replace ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:REQUIRED with ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:ACCEPTABLE for underground creatures, goblins, and kobolds: this seems to only apply when the player is nearby, which is both inconsistent and causes FPS drops in adventure mode. Also makes more sense from a lore perspetive, IMO: I don't care how cartoonishly evil you are, feeling the NEED to kill everything neutral is just silly. Max age for goblins to keep site populations lower and encourage them to spread out a little more, that kind of thing.

I'm also thinking of reintegrating Wanderer's tiered and simplified leather: I already did the work for that some time ago, and it's less material in the lists to scroll through and a solid gameplay improvement.

You can follow general progress in the repository. The description update never seems to have an end, but I'm working better at it now and have set up the repos on my phone: this alone has helped speed things up. Items on my list will fall like dominoes pretty damn quickly once the description work is done (ha!).

I'm far too much of a perfectionist to get this done quickly, but the result is (imo) much better writing, and a dramatic improvement to Dwarf Fortress's atmosphere.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 10:44:22 pm by Taffer »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2017, 10:17:25 pm »

That's good to hear. One of the minor tidbit that I like about DF revised is the use of descriptions. I mean, in this day and age, a tooltip is pretty much mandatory in gaming. Descriptions are the closest we can get.

How would you make the seeds evaporate? Fixed temperature?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2017, 10:40:59 pm »

How would you make the seeds evaporate? Fixed temperature?

Not sure, honestly. Add [EDIBLE] to useless seeds if it makes any sense, and ignore the problem or delete the seed if not.

I'm not interested in integrating all (or even most) of accelerated, but cutting down on useless clutter is on the agenda if it makes sense to me.

I should add that you (or anyone) is free to suggest patches on GitLab directly, if it's preferred. No promises on things being merged, but I appreciate it regardless.

The final batch of completely unfinished descriptions is going much faster than it normally would, thanks to the contributions I got for them already. My final round of editing and polishing is going quickly as well. ETA for it all is by the end of the month, I estimate (and that's a pretty conservative estimate, I edited/polished the descriptions of 4 files this weekend alone)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:43:58 pm by Taffer »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2017, 04:58:30 am »

I like the mix of features of the mod a lot.
Any plans to add vocalizations to animals in the future? I love that aspect of the game a lot, makes adventure mode much more immersive, yet the feature did not make it into the main DF, likely mostly because Toady focuses on other stuff.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2017, 07:40:29 am »

I like the mix of features of the mod a lot.
Any plans to add vocalizations to animals in the future? I love that aspect of the game a lot, makes adventure mode much more immersive, yet the feature did not make it into the main DF, likely mostly because Toady focuses on other stuff.

Thank you kindly for the show of confidence! I'm honored to have you say so. I like improving the vanilla game without adding many features to it. I don't mind tweaking or rewriting lore, but the intent for me was always "bugfixes, balance, and atmosphere".

As mentioned, I'm already integrating the tiered leather from Wanderer and I was somewhat tempted to remove creatures like you did before deciding it would be unpopular. (Besides, I've already simplified the names and rewrote the descriptions, seems odd to remove them now).

Yes to the vocalizations. My first version (before releasing it) had the vocalizations from Essential DF integrated, but I recollect encountering a strange bug with it and giving up. Revisiting it was actually already on my todo list for the next version, after creature descriptions.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:08:13 am by Taffer »

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2017, 10:49:38 am »

Yum. Looking forward to that big ol' update.
Suppose the unofficial update will do for now. :D

madmarshman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2017, 03:50:33 am »

Im using this with 43.05r, I am noticing the different descriptions in battle (forearm, instead of lower arm etc.), but I still have hundreds of different types of leather. I thought this mod reduced items, or am I wrong? Im trying to help an old lap top acheive decent frames. Thanks for you help.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2017, 08:28:01 am »

Im using this with 43.05r, I am noticing the different descriptions in battle (forearm, instead of lower arm etc.), but I still have hundreds of different types of leather. I thought this mod reduced items, or am I wrong? Im trying to help an old lap top acheive decent frames. Thanks for you help.

My mod will reduce leather types, but in an upcoming update and largely just because it's being replaced by tiered leather.

You're thinking of Accelerated, an optional module for Modest. My personal opinion is that many of its changes do nothing to help FPS. Not one frame. Fewer rock and leather types does not change how many items are around the map. There are definitely changes that help FPS there: reducing the amount of clothing invaders wear, turning off temperature, reducing how many boulders drop when mining, etc. But it's always seemed strange to me that what people seem to love about Accelerated (less variety of materials) doesn't really help FPS.

The best thing you can do for your FPS is to just choose a smaller embark.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:34:22 am by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33