Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Revised (v3.1.1 for v0.47.04)  (Read 146635 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Revised for 0.43.05
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2018, 06:32:03 am »

Goblins are already playable in vanilla, that's not a feature of this mod.

Thank you kindly for the correction!

This is only partial true (at least to my knowledge). Goblins are only playable if they have integrated into non-goblin civs (generally short history worlds have goblins unplayable).

opening up the caverns and hell (which never made sense to me they were always open just invisible, suddenly they are a problem when you make them visible),

Amostubal, this is likely because that is now a valid area for dwarves to path, whereas it was previously treated just like a layer filled with stone.

yeah... thats what I'm seeing too.... just find it ridiculous that pathing seems to check EVERY possible path including ones that send you 100s of tiles out of the way.  i.e. if your dwarf is going to the kitchen next door from the meed hall... he shouldn't be considering going all the way to the magma sea first.... there is no need for that.  be exact pathing should be considering only the current floor if there is a direct route, and other floors only if there isn't.  and then only  1 up 1 down approach until path found.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revised for v0.43.05
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2018, 09:05:11 pm »

So I ran into the hake fish's description while working my way through creature_small_ocean, one of the last files on my list for the description update.

An oceanic fish.

Sorry, Toady, but this one is particularly bad. This is about as bad as the eagle's description.

Well he's not wrong...

A small bird of prey.

Just a point of amusement, as it humors me and reminds me why I'm working on this.

It is, compared to the giant eagle. ;)

Really just PTW
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revised for v0.44.07. All creature descriptions rewritten!
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2018, 11:05:17 pm »

A lot of work went into this release. I've been rambling about my description update for two years now. It's finally done. I obsessed far too much over this, going over the descriptions over and over again.

Every creature in the game now has a better description. Really, I've checked. Not just an extra adjective or two and some pronoun changes, I've tried to add interesting tidbits about everything. Many giant creatures now have a vague size comparison, to give you a better idea of how big Toady intended them to be. Little details are more evident, such as how bird people have their wings attached to their backs and not as part of their arms. Speaking of arms, animal people with multiple arms now have that indicated in their description. Every gendered humanoid in the game now has a gendered description.

I've tried to use simple language. Editing these descriptions further (trust me, there's been a lot of editing already) will be an ongoing project. I enjoy editing the descriptions more than I enjoy writing them. I'll be improving everything further, but now I'd love to hear from everybody. Troglodytes will probably be renamed cavemen and cavewomen next release, as an example of my desire for textual improvements.

Obviously I've updated it for the new DF release. I've made lots of fixes here and there. Various FPS tweaks are now included. Creatures with unnecessarily long names have been renamed to have simpler names. Kobolds have cute, floppy ears. Other changes for this release have been largely put off to the next one, including the leather simplification and tiering. I have a few improvements that I think will be popular and interesting, so exciting things are still coming down the pipe.

Please post any mistakes! Let me know if you have any requests! Share your stories! I don't like working in a vacuum.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:12:17 pm by Taffer »

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2018, 01:49:13 am »

Now just to wait for Grimlocke's mod to be updated, how different is this release from 1.3.1?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2018, 07:31:01 am »

Now just to wait for Grimlocke's mod to be updated, how different is this release from 1.3.1?

In terms of features, I think I mentioned everything already. I removed a few minor things, made the unarmed attack changes actually apply to humanoids, and tweaked goblins for better FPS. In terms of lines changed this is an enormous update. I highly recommend using WinMerge to merge it with other mods or update the Grimlocke patch.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2018, 04:04:11 pm »

I've been watching for this one for a while now. Great job!

Quick question: Do the descriptor revisions include upgrades to color? I've been doing an improvement pass on various bug/slug men and the first thing I fixed was "His chitin is black. His eyes are black." being the only color available for damn near everything.

EDIT: Welp, can't win 'em all. If you want to crowdsource, I'd be happy to do the colors for you!

I'd also make a small suggestion, though if it's a ton more work then I wouldn't worry about it. Changing "man with..." to "bird-man", "bug-man", or "beast-man" respectively might help with the descriptions.

But don't listen to me - this is an absolute masterwork! Well done!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:18:30 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2018, 04:12:07 pm »

This mod needs to be in vanilla DF. Well done.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2018, 05:16:13 pm »

Contributions are welcome! I'm particularly looking for advice on rebalancing combat.

I've been watching for this one for a while now. Great job!

Quick question: Do the descriptor revisions include upgrades to color? I've been doing an improvement pass on various bug/slug men and the first thing I fixed was "His chitin is black. His eyes are black." being the only color available for damn near everything.

Thank you kindly!

The description update is literally the DESCRIPTION tag, not descriptors. I'll look into adding more descriptors when my todo list for Revised is done.

This mod needs to be in vanilla DF. Well done.

Thank you kindly! I offered the description work to Toady when I started but he doesn't want any contributions if they're creative (like descriptions). I'll email again just in case, there's some RAW file fixes he might be interested in.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2018, 05:18:45 pm »

Used Winmerge for a bit and just ended up replacing the creature files. Don't know if the skill changes take effect on existing animals or new ones that enter the map. Wonder if the caste names will be fine as well on existing saves.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2018, 05:40:30 pm »

Used Winmerge for a bit and just ended up replacing the creature files. Don't know if the skill changes take effect on existing animals or new ones that enter the map. Wonder if the caste names will be fine as well on existing saves.

My mod and Grimlocke's will need to be merged safely. Might be easiest to compare the creature files of Grimlocke's mod (not the Revised patch) with vanilla, just to see what was changed, and then merge with mine after. The keyboard shortcuts make WinMerge much more pleasant to work with. You can work very quickly once you're used to it.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2018, 10:40:19 am »

Ok, I ended up with a bizarre world - and I think it's a bug that has to do with raws.

One of my sub-civs which I ported over is Desert Dwarves; they have Jackals instead of dogs, among other things. However, in this particular world, there were Humans instead of Dwarves, Jackal Men instead of jackals, and - as an additional curiosity - Giant Leeches instead of my altered Leech Men.

I did some experimenting, and after removing Giant Leeches and finding my worlds generating Axlotl fortresses instead, I found the culprit; If a creature is deemed invalid when selecting for a civ, it selects the next one down the list. Hence, Dwarf-> Human, Jackal->Jackalman, Leech Man -> Giant Leech.

I'm attempting to comb through and see what the issue is for the Leech Men, to start - changing their file path did nothing, and moving them to a different file caused worlds not to generate. Very puzzling.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2018, 12:30:30 pm »

I'm so enamored with you this art that dwarves in my raws now have wooly arms and beards. Just the kind of eccentric flavor that helps me enjoy Dwarf Fortress. It's not going to be integrated into Revised because everyone else probably thinks that's a weird idea. Good artist, though.

I'm still dissatisfied with the descriptions, but they'll do for now. I want to try to get Revised into a better state before embarking on another editing pass.

Ok, I ended up with a bizarre world - and I think it's a bug that has to do with raws.

One of my sub-civs which I ported over is Desert Dwarves; they have Jackals instead of dogs, among other things. However, in this particular world, there were Humans instead of Dwarves, Jackal Men instead of jackals, and - as an additional curiosity - Giant Leeches instead of my altered Leech Men.

I did some experimenting, and after removing Giant Leeches and finding my worlds generating Axlotl fortresses instead, I found the culprit; If a creature is deemed invalid when selecting for a civ, it selects the next one down the list. Hence, Dwarf-> Human, Jackal->Jackalman, Leech Man -> Giant Leech.

I'm attempting to comb through and see what the issue is for the Leech Men, to start - changing their file path did nothing, and moving them to a different file caused worlds not to generate. Very puzzling.

Thank you for the report. I'll devote some time to fixing up Revised today. I definitely need to play test more before expanding on Revised.

Could this have something to do with your own modding? You mention porting over a sub-civ.

EDIT: I can't reproduce this.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:46:36 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2018, 03:20:07 pm »

Just giving a heads up that I'm stripping the ATTACK_PRIORITY changes brought over from the Modest mod out, along with all attacks introduced by Revised. I want to do some good combat testing, and the more attacks that are added the more there is to test. I can't find any testing for the tweak to make some attacks "secondary". No discussion in the modest mod threads that I can find. I like the idea in theory so I'd probably playtest and keep it if it was a simple fix, but it's not. It's a noisy fix, and it makes balancing more annoying because there's two copies of all of these attacks.

Similarly, in retrospect I disagree with the combining of TALON_SCRATCH and KICK for animal people. That change also generates a lot of noise and I disagree thematically.

I'll try to keep posting when I make big changes, just so people don't get surprised. My focus is on flavour, balance, better gameplay, and bug-fixing, not on features. I also want to make Dwarf Fortress nicer to read (literally), thus the creature name simplifications, typo fixes, better child and caste names, renamed body parts, and rewritten descriptions.

I'll also finish removing Microreduce. It's already half gone: the "easier steel" reaction was removed a long time ago and the "full set of clothing" reaction had a bug in it. The only remaining bits of Microreduce is automatic soap, lye, ash, and clear glass, but I still see complaints here and there about it. I also haven't play tested those reactions much anyway and I dislike the "automatic reactions" categories that it creates.

Probably not going to stop there. I'm going through Revised and thinking about what should stay: the more I stray from DF, the more people have to merge and the greater the potential for bugs. I don't want to remove too much, but I also don't want Revised to get bloated.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:39:23 pm by Taffer »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2018, 04:44:26 pm »

Thank you for the report. I'll devote some time to fixing up Revised today. I definitely need to play test more before expanding on Revised.

Could this have something to do with your own modding? You mention porting over a sub-civ.

EDIT: I can't reproduce this.

The only thing I altered in the Dwarf raws was the CASTETILE for female dwarves. Literally nothing else was changed. That's why I thought it pertinent to mention to you, since otherwise there's nothing that would affect them.

Genning more worlds over and over, I found that the Humans replaced Dwarves in the "normal" Dwarf civ also. Thankfully, there were no cat or dog-men.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2018, 04:50:26 pm »

I'm on the fence about the velocity reduction to unarmed attacks. It wasn't even applicable to dwarves, goblins, elves, kobolds, and humans until this release, and it's inconsistent: there's plenty of locally defined attacks in the RAW files that don't have the fix. Trying to balance combat by reducing the velocity of attacks just got significantly noisier: I'd need to change the value in the globally defined attacks and in all of the locally defined attacks (and hope I put in reasonable values for everything). This fix is a lot messier than I thought it was.

The only thing I altered in the Dwarf raws was the CASTETILE for female dwarves. Literally nothing else was changed. That's why I thought it pertinent to mention to you, since otherwise there's nothing that would affect them.

Genning more worlds over and over, I found that the Humans replaced Dwarves in the "normal" Dwarf civ also. Thankfully, there were no cat or dog-men.

Hmm...can you download vanilla v0.44.07 again, install Revised v1.4, and test, would you kindly? I'm in the middle of some significant RAW cleanups as well, so I'll be able to see if there are any problems as I go. I'm always comparing my files to vanilla using a merge tool, so any unusual changes should stand right out. If you're not interested, I'll do some testing myself after I'm done the cleanup. No worries. Thank you for the help and for the RAW contributions!

From memory, the only unusual thing I recall doing is creating "male" and "female" castes for the bronze colossus. It doesn't actually gender them. The only difference is a different description ("naked man" vs "naked woman"). I did worry this might cause some unforeseen problems, but they didn't want to show up for me when I was testing and from what I read I didn't think it would cause problems. I don't see how that could cause this, but it's the only thing that comes to mind. I'll see what I notice as I'm cleaning up the files.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:11:36 am by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33