Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Kindred, The Next Generation: a VtM/R based game - Accepting 1-2 more characters  (Read 6709 times)

Sialia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Discord server available for assistance with character creation, or general discussion about the game.
https://discord.gg/zRhtybU

Character creation: the basics
You are a newly-embraced (turned) vampire. A Neonate. Young and reckless you are just growing into your powers. This game will involve all aspects of the vampire court from combat to the high society parties the vampires are so well known for. This game is an arbitrary mix of White Wolf's World of Darkness, Vampire the Masquerade and Vampire the Requiem, along with many of my own balances and fixes.

When creating a character sheet, you should use the following outline:
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Be aware that all new characters start with $6,000

Getting attributes:
Each attribute starts at 1.
Each new level of the attribute costs 5 times the level number you are going to.
Attribute from 1 to 2 costs 10 points
Attribute from 1 to 3 costs 25 points
Attribute from 1 to 4 costs 45 points
You are to prioritize physical, social and mental in any order you would like.
Into the first category, distribute 55 points. The second, 35 points and the third 20 points.

Getting abilities:
Each new level of the ability costs 3 times the level number you are going to.
Ability from 0 to 2 costs 9
Ability from 0 to 3 costs 18
Ability from 0 to 4 costs 30
Ability from 0 to 5 costs 45
You are to prioritize talents, skills and knowledges in any order you would like.
Into the first category, distribute 60 points. The second, 30 points and the third 18 points.

If you would like a hand in understanding how the numbers total up, Aigre has helped out by making a small spreadsheet. Make a copy of this if you wish to use it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ql7FlquGHLez1Bh3_II7eyaJq9nGtU5rvzuX9ReWe6E/edit

Getting disciplines:
Each clan has three disciplines available to them. See clans and disciplines further down the post for more information. You may distribute 3 levels amongst your disciplines.

How health works:
Your starting health is equal to your stamina.
At -2 or lower you receive -1 dice to all rolls
At -4 you receive -2 dice to all rolls
At -5 you receive -3 dice to all rolls
At -6 you receive -4 dice to all rolls
At -7 you become unconscious
At -10 you enter torpor (Permanent unconsciousness where you can only be revived by drinking blood). If aggravated damage (such as fire or silver, or the bite of another vampire) takes you to -10 or lower, you die.
If your head is cut off, you also die.

How leveling up works:
When leveling up, the costs are as follows:
Attributes cost 9 exp per level
Abilities cost 5 exp per level
Disciplines cost 7 exp per level
All these max at 5 for now.

At this stage I am limiting the clans available to the characters to a roughly physical class, roughly social, and roughly intellectual, as otherwise the sheer number of clans will have this game get out of hand very quickly, and because I don't want to implement things like changing forms into animals.

The Masquerade:
Vampires have an accord with each other that none shall breach the masquerade. This means they do not reveal themselves to the mortal world. Breach of the masquerade can result in imprisonment, slavery or death, depending on what the local law is.

Spoiler: Clans (click to show/hide)

Blood pool:
The blood pool, filled with blood points. Each player starts with a blood pool of 10, this must be refilled by feeding on humans. Taking 10 from one human will kill them, and doing so regularly can become dangerous, as one becomes a serial killer (This may breach the masquerade). Only one blood point can be spent per turn.

New vampires will start with three levels to distribute among any of their clan's disciplines.

Spoiler: Disciplines (click to show/hide)

Frenzy:
 In situations where the vampire becomes angry, scared, faces a large threat, is insulted or faces fire (an inherent fear for vampires due to the aggravated damage it deals) a frenzy check occurs. This is a willpower check to determine whether they will go into an uncontrollable state of fight or flight where their actions may not be their own. This will be a composure + resolve check. In addition, blood/feeding frenzies can occur in situations of exposure to an excess of blood.

During frenzy a vampire ignores all negatives to dice rolls that would occur due to low health,
A vampire in frenzy may only use melee attacks
A vampire trying to dominate, presence, dementate or otherwise control the thoughts or actions of a frenzied vampire has +2 difficulty to associated rolls.
A vampire must act accordingly to the kind of frenzy invoked. The character is not in control of their own actions, the 'beast' within is instead in control. This will occur until the stimulus causing the frenzy has been fled from, killed, fed from or removed from the vicinity for a period of time, as appropriate to the sort of frenzy involved.

Social rolls: some examples
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mental/knowledge rolls: some examples

Combat:

Spoiler: How damage works: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Who shoots first? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: How armour works: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 05:04:58 pm by Sialia »

Sialia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kindred, The Next Generation: a VtM/VtR based game
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 08:59:11 pm »

The Armoury:

Spoiler: Melee armoury (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Firearms armoury (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Special Ammo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Armours (click to show/hide)

Other items:

Spoiler: Miscellaneous items (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Vehicles (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 05:36:21 pm by Sialia »

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 09:13:14 pm »

Preliminary character sheet, will be adjusted as needed.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 12:42:58 am by S34N1C »
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Sialia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 09:18:38 pm »

CHARACTERS

Some characters may be remakes carried over from the failed Inquisition mission here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161500.0
Those characters will have the 12 exp awarded to them at the end of that mission.

Because the best vampire hunters are those that get half their party killed and the other half embraced.

As the GM I will at times be intervening as the party's handler, Mirella. Mirella was once a character in Inquisition and was awarded experience at the end of last mission, the same as Trump and Nikolai.

Mirella will only intervene if I require her to do so for some reason. For the most part she will remain uninvolved.

Spoiler: Mirella (click to show/hide)

Current Player Characters

Spoiler: Nikolai Kakashosnof (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Father Gerald (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Morgan Glasshand (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ash Alpine (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: John "Wesson" Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arete Zolotas (click to show/hide)

DEAD:

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:18:32 pm by Sialia »

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 09:22:38 pm »

What about the inventory do I need to change? I subtracted the ammo used last mission, as well as the adrenaline. How much money do we have to play with?
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 09:27:42 pm »

I'd like to reserve while I build a character. <3 the idea of VtM, never dabbled in it though.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 11:50:22 pm by Mallos »
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Sialia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 09:41:23 pm »

What about the inventory do I need to change? I subtracted the ammo used last mission, as well as the adrenaline. How much money do we have to play with?

The entire armory has changed.

You may keep anything that is still in this list that was also in the last game. Anything else you will have to delete. You have $6000 to spend on top of any items you are carrying over. I am sorry, it's not a very nice mesh with the old item system.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 09:45:35 pm »

I suggest he be allowed to keep the VSS, as it's fairly integral to the character.  It doesn't exist in this system because it would be out of place in an American armoury, but mechanically it would be pretty much identical to the Honey Badger.

EDIT: Just putting this here

Sialia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 09:49:16 pm »

I was thinking that he could keep the closest thing to it actually, but I didn't know what they would have been

Problem solved then, he can have a Honey Badger

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 10:07:53 pm »

I will be participating in this, so reserved post. I have a friend who will be joining as well.

Sialia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 10:14:07 pm »

I am going to limit this to 7 characters because with this giant system anything more is too clunky for me to run, honestly even 7 is pushing it, and I think we will be getting a bit of interest by the look of things.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 10:15:50 pm by Sialia »

Sialia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 10:23:20 pm »

I will be participating in this, so reserved post. I have a friend who will be joining as well.
Please have your friend make a post so I can add them to the player list. :)

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 10:25:39 pm »

Ill join in a bit.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: Kindred, The Next Generation: a VtM/VtR based game (6/7 players)
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 10:50:55 pm »

Is it ok If I keep the disguise and infiltration kits?

Glory to United Forenia!

Sialia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kindred, The Next Generation: a VtM/VtR based game (6/7 players)
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 10:53:48 pm »

They aren't really a thing yet in this game. When and if I implement them you can have them for free. Just not yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6