Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Please help me understand animal men and animal men civilizations !!SUCCESS!!  (Read 7774 times)

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me understand animal men and animal men civilizations
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2017, 04:39:01 pm »

VICTORY!!!!
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I solved the issue!

I added  [LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] and [LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES] to BROWN_RECLUSE_SPIDER_MAN. And now everything is fine!

I would like to know if anyone knows why this worked though. I thought that the "c_variation_default" file added these tags to them.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:57:31 pm by vexxice »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Congratulations!
You've been after that for over a year, I believe.

I've got no idea why adding those tags makes it work, though (and certainly wouldn't have thought about testing them).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Well, they're both about controlling civilized animal people. From wiki:
LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLEv0.42.01    Allows you to play as a wild animal of this species in Adventure Mode.
 LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROESv0.42.01 Wild animals of this species may occasionally join a civilization.

Though yeah, gratz. Wouldn't have thought to test that myself. Especially as they're both exhibited by animal people without the tag directly added.

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is a non-modding way of accomplishing this.

1. Retire your fort,
2. start an adventurer of whatever race you want in your fort
3. Either use your fort as the starting location or make your way to it and ask the captain of the guard or militia leader about joining the guard.
4. Retire the adventurer and then unretire the fort, your former adventurer will be an animal man with full labors.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And now you need to make a new set of clothes for everyone. Even if the size would be right, they would have too few sleeves.
Normally, clothes made without detailing the size will be made to match the size of the clothier, so I'd start by making one piece and see what it's made to fit, as that "maker's size" logic might not be used for an exotic maker.

You ought to get them to procreate to ensure the offspring come out right, although that won't happen if you turn them all into spider girls...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, speaking of sizes, another issue might be that min-size for wielding pick or axe two-handed is 42500 - with BRSM being 35000 big.

There's still great variety of weapons with min-size for 2h at 32500 or less. But I speculate you won't be able to get them to pick up picks or axes again after putting them down. Perhaps fitting, given how much I see their webs in trees.

But you've probably planned all that already.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, what's the min size for wielding a pick three handed? ;)

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Congratulations!
You've been after that for over a year, I believe.

I've got no idea why adding those tags makes it work, though (and certainly wouldn't have thought about testing them).

Ever since the tavern was added and animal civ's could labor properly.

Well, they're both about controlling civilized animal people. From wiki:
LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLEv0.42.01    Allows you to play as a wild animal of this species in Adventure Mode.
 LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROESv0.42.01 Wild animals of this species may occasionally join a civilization.

Though yeah, gratz. Wouldn't have thought to test that myself. Especially as they're both exhibited by animal people without the tag directly added.

It confuses me because as I said, in the "c_variation_default" there is a section for [CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON], and it has: [CV_NEW_TAG:LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE]
[CV_NEW_TAG:LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES]
In theory this should add these tags to all animal men. So, it seems redundant to add them directly to the BROWN_RECLUSE_SPIDER_MAN RAWS

And now you need to make a new set of clothes for everyone. Even if the size would be right, they would have too few sleeves.
Normally, clothes made without detailing the size will be made to match the size of the clothier, so I'd start by making one piece and see what it's made to fit, as that "maker's size" logic might not be used for an exotic maker.

You ought to get them to procreate to ensure the offspring come out right, although that won't happen if you turn them all into spider girls...

Yeah, I'm going to immediately make them create proper clothes. I noticed that several of them are slightly gender confused. Their thoughts are almost all "her", "she" and the like. However, for a couple who used to be male, there are two lines that still say "him" and "his", so I'm not sure about that.

This was just a test, I'm going to start a new fortress and turn them into spider people while keeping their gender intact. Now, of course, they need to get married and make babies (which is a challenge in a normal fortress). I'm not certain if they lay eggs or not....

Well, speaking of sizes, another issue might be that min-size for wielding pick or axe two-handed is 42500 - with BRSM being 35000 big.

There's still great variety of weapons with min-size for 2h at 32500 or less. But I speculate you won't be able to get them to pick up picks or axes again after putting them down. Perhaps fitting, given how much I see their webs in trees.

But you've probably planned all that already.
So, what's the min size for wielding a pick three handed? ;)

I made them mine into the mountain, so they can use a pickaxe. The question now is, can they always use a pickaxe? Or is it because they used to be dwarves?

They have 3 arms on each side which is awesome! :D

I'm very concerned by the wiki which says that "brown recluse spider men are completely unable to swim or consume non-animal food (e.g. berries)"!!!! How can you eat an animal, but not a berry? What kind of mouth do they have, where meat can go in (which is large), but not berries (which are small). So, that's going to be !!FUN!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:19:25 pm by vexxice »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not certain what tag makes them bad at swimming, but some creatures are carnivores, including the brown recluse spider if you look at it's raws (though the vermin spiders being carnivorous is probably about their hunting behaviour).
(The carnivore-omnivore distinction is a little hazier than that IRL; for example cats need meat to live, but they can eat a little rice without getting sick.)

This can also show up when playing kobolds in a modded game - in that case, fish are fine, as are any prepared meals that contain meat or fish as at least 1 ingredient iirc. Not sure where eggs fall...

Though if you embarked in reanimating area, consider the bright side: Their webimmune characteristic greatly weakens some of the deadliest FBs.

As for the miners, you have keep mining because pick is already equipped - but I'm doubtful they'd pick up a new one; something to test.

I don't think they lay eggs; GCS don't iirc.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Generally all sentient creatures (even giant pandamen with a exclusive diet of bamboo grass, pet pandas will also eat prepared meals given by their owner when they are hungry) will eat prepared meals given that they don't recognize it as one or the other.

So just load them up on biscuits constantly and you'll be ok.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can feed whatever you want to pet animals; animal trainers will happily give meat to vegetarians.

This was the MW kobold fortress that had starving with prepared meals (Year 103 in particular).

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just started a real fort, I may post some observations here as I see what happens. (just so you know, I have turned dfhack off again, since it is so buggy.)
  • In the descriptions, the females say "Her chitin is black. Her eyes are black." The males, however, do not describe the chitin. They simply say "His eyes are black".
  • A couple minutes after embarking they all started to strip. Everybody dropped a cap, a left glove, a sock, and a shoe. They kept all of their other garments, including dresses which are probably too big for them.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:26:22 pm by vexxice »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just started a real fort, I may post some observations here as I see what happens. (just so you know, I have turned dfhack off again, since it is so buggy.)
  • In the descriptions, the females say "Her chitin is black. Her eyes are black." The males, however, do not describe the chitin. They simply say "His eyes are black".
  • A couple minutes after embarking they all started to strip. Everybody dropped a cap, a left glove, a sock, and a shoe. They kept all of their other garments, including dresses which are probably too big for them.

In the creature raws, are the descriptive features under [caste:all?] or have they been misplaced?
Pages: 1 2 [3]