Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Furry Fortress Revival Brainstorming...  (Read 3891 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress Revival Brainstorming...
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 12:22:19 am »

The reaction can output a liquid form of the input, just by calling up a glob. I don't think there's a way to make it gaseous, other than creating a separate material that has a low boiling point (so you would then be using two different forms of the same material, one that's stable and one that's only created by the reaction and is unstable. Creatures won't recognize a vapor or gas of a material as a nuisance, but the syndrome associated with it can create emotional reactions.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 01:57:35 am »

Now, normally im not into furries - i came here out of curiosiy tho, and happened to see you considering adding cannabis into the game. If you made Weed Fortress, i will forever be in your debt, good sir. DO IT. On another note, cool that the types of critters are based on real world civs - may i suggest for vikings that you add in Walruses? They're big, strong, like the cold, are down with water - it seems like a natural fit. And if you create vampire hunter bats, may i suggest making a special wood type that certain vampires are weak to(make a bunch of clones of the example vampire, changing the name slightly, and make them weak to wood. Add only 1 vamp type, and chances are that any created vampires will be the vamp clones. Make them make weapons out of Slayer Wood, so they are weak to other civs - but add a vamipire civ for them to be aggro against, and very effective against. I would actually suggest wolves for your vampires. Vamps and wolves are traditionally linke;Dracula could shapeshift into one. And yeh, the bat people could use flying tactics/Slayer Wood to assault Vamp civs. Just a thought!
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
----------------------------------
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 10:22:12 am »

Again, only small critters are valid.  Walruses break the size barrier. 

The plan from the first game is that there are badguy mirror civs based on each main civ.  So for foxes there's a kyuubi civ, for rabbits there's a jackalope civ, etc.  So the bats will have some counterpart like that.  I might pick Asanbosams for this role, although another thought is to make them the vampiric badguy mirror for the grazer gazelle civ.  There's also the chupacabra, though I fear this would be too humorous.  Another thought is to use a flappy cryptid, like a kongamato, mothman or jersey devil. 

As for incense/weed, it sounds do-able, and it gives me a way to do fragrant woods.  I may make some fake fantasy equivalents, like dwarfnip, visionshroom, shrine wisp, instead of worrying about how the genuine drugs are produced. 

There are a few things I could use help with.  I'm not super clear on how syndromes should work.  If someone can dig me up an example or crash course, or make an example, I would appreciate that.  Preferable some information on how to ramp up the smoking experience from something that's merely pleasant, like incense or fragrant wood, to something psychotropic. 

Second, I'm sure this is relatively simple, but how do I set up a category of smoke-able materials?  I know one way to do it would be to have a different reaction for each specific smoke-able crop, and their smoke-product, but it should also be possible to have a reaction that says "smoke something", looks for anything with a smoke-product and uses that, or brings up the "choose material" list to be specific. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 01:07:56 pm »

That last part you can do with material reaction products: [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:PARCHMENT_MAT] for example is used in making parchment and seeks out anything that has [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:PARCHMENT_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PARCHMENT]

The PARCHMENT_MAT is the product class you're seeking out, and since these drugs are going to be derived from plants you would instead use for example [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SMOKEABLEPLANT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SMOKEMAT] in that material definition. The reaction outputs :GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:SMOKEABLEPLANT] which in its material definition would be pointing to SMOKEMAT, which you also need to define in the plant because that's the material which is going to be produced by the reaction. When you add that SMOKEMAT to the plant, you would then also add the syndrome to it, so that when it is inhaled/consumed it is causing the desired effects.

The syndrome is no more difficult than getting the materials and reactions pointing to the right product really. The material definition would look something like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The SMOKEABLEPLANT part can be the "nickname" of whatever part of the plant is supposed to be used. It doesnt matter what that's actually made of, as long as after defining it you add
      [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SMOKEABLEPLANT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SMOKEMAT] and then define what SMOKEMAT is supposed to be
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 05:05:42 pm »

In the line [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SMOKEMAT:FF_PLANT_MAT_BOILING] does FF_PLANT_MAT_BOILING have to exist somewhere as well? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 05:23:45 pm »

Thanks a bunch, Blank, that should pretty much cover what I need. 

I'm not in a decision-making mood, but I think here are the basic mechanics of it:

Spoiler: "Smoke plant reaction" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Smoker workshop" (click to show/hide)

For this example, the dwarfnip has exactly the same syndrome as alcohol.  I'll have to think about what I want from these plants and see what is possible. 

Off the top of my head, I've often wished there were a way to make dwarves get amorous with each other, either to save beds or save the species from extinction or whatever.  So something that changes personality and feels emotions related to amorousness could be in the future. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 02:05:03 pm »

I'm not sure if that's explicitly possible. I understand there are workaround using dfhack and transformations, but no way to get civilized creatures to reproduce without marriage.

I don't understand dfhack at all, but I understand the basic principle behind the transformation method; you're transforming your sentient civilized female (actually I think being pregnant is still respected after transforming back into a normal male of their species) into a simple female animal and putting them in a room with a bunch of males. At least I'm pretty sure thats how it goes. Anyway they get knocked up and transform back into a dwarf before giving birth
I make Spellcrafts!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 05:42:19 pm »

I don't mean yiffing, just instead of drunk related mood changes, it gives them lovey-dovey mood changes. 

Like this:
Arousal is listed as an emotion here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Emotion but Euphoria is not, so I'm unclear if this is valid. 

And while I'm looking at this, let's try a basic cannabis style smokeable:

From the list of these mood facets, I could probably do a smokeable that makes them kinda hyper, like caffeine, or one that increases their violence level and makes them angry. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 08:48:39 pm »

Yeah, you can do that too. Never mind what I suggested >_>
I make Spellcrafts!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 01:57:17 pm »

So a quick, behind the scenes update, I've got revised Vulp and Kyuubi civs ready to go, with revised japanese weapons and sakuragane, the new plants, new cinnabar, cobalt, lead and salt glazes, new antimonial lead, "bulletta" metal.  I exaggerated some stats on the existing elemental metals and removed the elemental steels.  In practice, novacalchum is simple enough to obtain and the steels feel cluttery. 

We're definitely getting to a point where I want to release something for people to test.  I think in order to get there, I want to at least include the Lagomer and Komodo civs.  They should be relatively simple to port from the last version, the main new thing they need is a custom metal or material, like the Vulps' sakuragane. 

For the Egyptian Goannas, I like a new bronze variation, probably called blood bronze.  I see 2 philosophies behind this.  One is that it's an enhanced form of bronze, using up more resources, like copper+tin+zinc+nickel+antimony= blood bronze.  Another theory is that it's as good as bronze using more common ingredients, like copper + bone = blood bronze.  In real life, there is also Arsenical Bronze, which could be smelted an arsenic ore, realgar or orpiment.  Antimonial bronze is supposedly similar to Arsenical bronze, basically a harder bronze.

The English Rabbits are not as obvious, though there is a type of pewter known as Britannium.  In real life it is 92% tin, 6% antimony and 2% copper, which would be an incredibly nitpicky ratio in DF.  9:1 or 8:1 Sn:Sb could be a doable substitute.  This would be a trade/decorative material, not something of military value.  Cassiterite and Stibnite are both very rare, so Britannium probably wouldn't occur in most fortresses.  Perhaps instead we could do something more fantastical, like a metal based on or named after something from Arthurian Legend, like Excalisteel, Merlinite, Arthurium, Gawainium, etc.  Since they are rabbits, maybe these metals could be based on some lightweight "fast" RL metals, like titanium or magnesium or even aluminum.  The titanium ores, rutile and ilmenite, are tend to show up in small amounts almost anywhere, so that would be a good gamey usuage for it. 

Another note, I'm not sure I want to keep using these made up names, as it is kind of a pain when coming up with new critter races and I think probably not very recognizeable unless you are a zoology enthusiast.  So in Furry Fortress 3, I may use simpler terminology, like X-lings, Foxling, Rabbitling, Goannaling, etc, or switch it up, Foxian, Rabbitoid, Goannamen, etc.  I could also use their scientific names.  These are mostly not recognizeable, but would be easy enough to look up, and distinguish them from the default animal peoples.  (I may look into removing or replacing the default animal people, but I still dream of someday doing a general animal overhaul) 

Scientific names would be:
Fox - Vulpus
Rabbit - Lepus (actually jackrabbit) 
Goanna - Varanus
Eagle - Aquila
Lobster - Nephrops (the Norway Lobster, others are Homarus) 
Barracuda - Sphyraena (although might use instead Dogfish/Spurdog - Squalus) 
Gazelle - Gazella, Nanger or Eudorcas, (but in South Africa, they have Springbok which are Antidorcas, and Impala which are Aepyceros) 
Cobra - Ophiophagus (King Cobra) Elapidae (Cobras in general, among others)
Monkey - Macaca (Macaque) (or Simians for higher primates in general)
Salamander - Salamandra or Urodela
Badger - Melinae (Eurasian) Taxidea (American) Mellivora (Honey)
Bat - Pteropus or Megachiroptera
Raccoon - Procyon
Ant - Formica

Yikes, gotta go to work, bye
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:17:44 am by AceSV »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 09:23:00 pm »

Making names is tough shit. I'd avoid formicians or variants of that as people might think you mean the ant people or whatever from other settings. Simiates doesn't sound bad. Honestly I'd leave lagomer as it is because some people will recognize the term lagomorph and I'm sure even more would catch on if you used "vulpines" for the foxes. Goannas are tough, I'd just call them lizardfolk, but that would get confusing with other lizard men already in the game. You could call them goannides, maybe. I'd also just go with lobsterfolk for the lobsters, I don't know who outside marine biologists regularly recalls the Latin names of lobsters. But calling them "nephrops" does have a ring to it.

Aquilans sounds good, Spanish speakers will catch on quick, its not too far out there.
I make Spellcrafts!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 11:06:58 pm »

I was thinking, another plan might be to name them whatever their culture-language word is for the animal they are.  For example, the japanese foxes are called kitsune or kitsune-jin, the japanese word for fox or fox-people.  This would be hard to do with Old English, Old Norse and Ancient Egyptian and would require some thinking for not-real-culture civs.  It would almost definitely not be immediately obvious what they are, but it might feel more immersive. 

So a few examples,
(the animal-people is almost definitely grammatically incorrect) (in some cases, I hope I'm using words like "tribe" or "folk") 
Japanese Fox - Kitsune (Kitsune-jin)
Old English Rabbit - Hara (Hara-wiht)
Ancient Egyptian Goanna - ?  (although I know that the scientific name Varanus comes from the arabic name for them, waran)  (although simply "goannamen" might be foreign sounding enough)
Mongolian Eagle - Burged (Burged-khun)
Old Norse Lobster - Humarr (Humarring)
Zulu Gazelle - Nensephe (Nensephe-abantu)
Sanskrit Cobra - Naga (Naga-jana) (in Hindi, it would be Kobara-log) 
Chinese Monkey - Hóu (Hóuzi rén)
German Raccoon - Waschbär (Waschbär Stamm)
Latin (Roman) Ants - Formica (Formicagens) 

The less obvious ones are:
Nautical/Pirate Barracuda/Spurdog
Wizard Salamander
Digger Badger
Vampire Hunter Bats can use Romanian - Liliac (Liliac-popor)

Actually, for the most part, I like the scientific names better, but still the sensibility of Foxling, Hareling, Goannaling, is appealing. 

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 08:23:37 am »

Speaking of names, I'm not sure if "Furry Fortress" is the best branding.  I feel like I often hear "I was afraid of the furries, but actually, it's kinda interesting".  And honestly, my point in making this is not strictly to focus on animal people, but to make a non-Tolkienian fantasy world that fixes some of my nitpicks against Dwarf Fortress.  So I might change to something like Age of Anthro, Afterworld or Ace Fortress. 

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 01:06:04 pm »

just had some modding ideas that I want to jot down.

There are a few other potential cultures I might be able to implement.  I have half-formed ideas that I may be able to flesh out if anyone else is especially interested.

Oceania - A culture with weapons based on Australian, New Zealand and Polynesia.  Mainly an excuse to use wallabies.  Throwing boomerang, melee boomerang, shark tooth bat, battle oar, patu, tewhatewha, etc.  Their cultural metal is to turn wood or bone/tooth into a lightweight, sub-iron metal.  Maybe combine wood and teeth to approximate something like this:

Spanish - Like the german idea, might be able to use spanish or moorish stuff.  Off the top of my head, espada and alabarda, tercio pike and possible even some kind of conquistador firearm.  Spanish steel was famous, so they would probably get another improved type of steel. 

Mesoamerican - Probably a combination of Aztec, Maya and Inca.  Macahuital, bolas, spear, warclub, adze, atlatl, great sling.  (although I think having more than one ranged weapon will screw up DF)  If I wanted, I could possibly combine them with North American tribes, get stuff like the tomahawk, spontoon axe, gunstock club.  Their cultural metal could be based on jade, which they used for tools because of its hardness. 

Slavic - In the old version we had the Polish hussar horses with a russian based language, something like that could return.  Before we had the szabla, koncerz, nadziak, hussar lance, and I could throw in the bardiche.  No idea for metal. 

Gaelic - Some combined Scottish-Irish culture.  Shillelagh, claymore, dirk, lochaber axe, sparth, jeddart staff, brogit staff, schiltron pike, throwing hammer, targe.  There are various gaelic warrior names I could throw onto things, kern, gallowglass, hobelar, or even highland.  No idea for metal, though maybe something to do with leprechauns.  Would be cool to make their animal something that would be competitive or antagonistic towards the English rabbits.  On the other hand, could be the seal, in reference to the legend of selkie. 

Indo-China - I feel like the Thailand, Burma, Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillipines, Vietnam, Etc, area of the world deserves some credit, but I've had a hard time finding things in the past.  And even if I did find stuff, they would likely not be very recognizeable. 

Thinking about Salamander Wizards, I got the idea of combining the Alchemy classical elemental sprites (Salamander (fire), Genomas/Gnome (earth), Sylph (air), Undine (water)) with the 4 classical D&D jobclasses, Warrior, Rogue, Magic-User, Cleric.  Their race imparts personality, abilities (mainly stats like gaits, toughness, etc) and play styles, like carnivores or grazers.  Each sprite can be combined with each jobclass for 16 total civilizations. 

I think this would be an overload to combine it with Furry Fortress, but referring back to people feeling afraid of furries, I might offer this as an alternative race/civ system for people to play with the rest of the FuFo improvements. 

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 07:32:06 pm »

So I had a fun idea for more immersion, but I'm not sure how do-able it really is. 

It might be fun to write up some entity specific wordbanks.  So for example, samurai fox language could have words for katana, shuriken, ninja, bishi, chopsticks, curry, etc, so that citizens/cities/squadrons show up with these components in their names.  For the moment, a lot of words like that are used in the construction of the artificial languages, thanks to DFLang, but I mean that the actual translated version should change.  So it would read something like Mikoto Kirikotaisen "Rock Sushi". 

So first of all, I don't know how the game would react to different languages having different wordbanks.  I remember DFLang had a collection of naughty words to begin with and these caused DF to freak out until I removed them. 

Second of all, this would be a lot of work, work which might be better spent on actual gameplay.  And I would have to recompose all the languages, which DFLang makes easy, but not that easy. 

Another thought that crossed my mind is to use actual languages instead of generated ones.  This would be totally do-able for Japanese or Latin, but not for Old Norse or Ancient Egyptian.  And it would take a looooooot more time. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3