Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Furry Fortress Revival Brainstorming...

<< < (2/8) > >>

Wyrdean:
You know a German Zweihander* is quite frankly huge and that got me thinking, couldn't the German civilization be Bear-People?
That would add some good

*A good example of a large Zweihander, Grutte Pier's Zweihander.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank:
Regarding Germany, there was some testing regarding bovarians/bavaria, do you consider the results to be an udder failure, or so?

Also awesome to see you're going to continue working on this. It was fun to play.

AceSV:
Regarding Bears or Bovarians, this time around, I want to keep all the animals smallish.  The gazelle is probably as big as I would want to go.  Also, technically, the unspoken rule is no domesticated animals, so Bovarians were not really on the table to begin with, although I do find it humorous and an interesting civilization idea.  I'm not sure I would consider the Bovarian experiment to be a failure, but it didn't go as well as hoped. 

I sort of like Raccoons for Germany, since they are one of my favorite animals, but difficult to work into this setting, and I find it amusing that they live in Germany now.  And Germans call them "wash-bears" which also amuses me.  But like Wyrdean noticed, a lot of the German weapons are really big, the Ahlspiess too, and Raccoons are not an animal I think of as carrying oversized arms. 

Another candidate is the ridiculous Alpine Ibex aka Steinbock "Stone Buck":
Spoiler (click to show/hide)However, this is pushing the size preference and it's not an easily recognizable animal. 

Another thought is to just pick an animal that feels "knightly", probably something armored, like a lobster, sturgeon, armadillo or pangolin.  (Right now, lobsters have the Viking slot, but I'm not in love with that.  Actually raccoons would probably make cooler vikings, or something like an otter or seagull.)  Or an animal that is perceived to be fastidious and good at engineering, ... which I guess would be a beaver, huh.  There's also badgers, which currently have the Digger slot, but there are zillions of animals I could pick as diggers. 

In other news, I took at look at Toady's list of things yet to do, and wow, that's a lot.  So if there's something I particularly want to test, I'll do a v43 version and not wait around for the next release. 

AceSV:
Plant Plans now.

I've been thinking of making Iron Wood and Blade Bough into underground plants.  I feel like they are not particularly useful when they are so uncommon.  It might also be interesting not to give all the normal civs access to underground wood and plants by default.  So the only way to access plump helmets is to breach the caverns and gather some. 

Reason for this is that I often find myself with no reason to try and breach the caverns, or I just wall it off immediately.  But if there's something valuable down there, especial something I can't grow in farms like a tree or creature, then suddenly we've got ourselves some FUN. 

In the same vein, I saw Meph mention something interesting about the HFS.  Apparently you can make plants with an underground depth of 5.  They won't actually grow there, but once you breach it, they can grow anywhere, the same way cave moss starts to take over.  It would be interesting if you could actually get something valuable out of the HFS, and not just the clown car. 

AceSV:
Alright, one more thing I guess.  I was just reading Sethatos' Archcrystal fortress thread, in which he invades hell and builds a clear glass tower from to the surface. 

It seems that the primary enabler for this escapade was an army of domesticated cave dragons.  I've often wished there was some version of a cave dragon that could be reliably encountered in any fortress, or at least in a particular biome, and raised in the span of a normal game.  Sure, there's a certain prestige to running a fortress for multiple generations, and raising a creature over 100 years, but also, come on, I've got other shit to do. 

If I set out to do this, I would appreciate some degree of variety and challenge.  I'd like a couple of different creatures available, probably biome based, like a Jungle Drake or Sand Wyrm.  There are some novel "real-life" dragon-types I might use, like the armored Tarasque or water-spewing Gargouille.  I think it would be more interesting to give them traits like rock-scales or acid-breath, but that's also harder to mod.  As for challenge, I'd prefer to have it more difficult than just waiting for them to wander into your cage traps, but I think my hands are tied.  Even so, unannounced super creatures should still increase the FUN and as long as they show up in sieges, they can represent a genuine threat as well as a benefit. 

So assuming I stop giving the animal civs "use any animal" and also remove the elves, I might want to make some sort of merchant civ that can tame any animal and lives in any biome, so you can trade for crazy creatures as well.  As long as I make the value of these semi-mega creatures really high, it should still be difficult. 

Spoiler: "List of creature ideas" (click to show/hide)Longma (dragon-horse)
Gargouille (water spewing dragon)
Tarasque (armored dragon; possibly a glyptodon or ankylosaur)
Amphiptere (winged snake)
Amphisbaena (snake or dragon with a head on its tail; for DF purposes, it may be a false head, like a centipedes, but still armed with teeth, pincers, whatever)
~Wyvern (pterosaur-like dragon; disputed, since this word is my main candidate for a Mahar-like monster civ.  Could call the intelligent ones Zeeverns...) 
Manticore
Yale (heraldic antelope/goat/ibex thing; maybe unicorn-like)
Pard (proto-zoological imaginary pantheran; it was thought that lions and pards would breed to produce the leopard;  get it?) 
Owlbear (I mean, come on, right?) 
Griffon (would mean replacing the "fanciful" creature)

Biome Dragonoids:
Jungle Drake (jungle)
Bog Drake (swamps)
Sandwyrm (desert)
Leowyrm (savahnna)
Magmander (magma layer)
Bug Bear (caverns) (an actual bear sized arthropod, not a goblinoid) 
Rockodile (wastelands) (a crocodile with rock-like scales/skin) 
Polar Dragon (glacier/taiga/tundra)
River Reaper (rivers/lakes)(nessie like?)
Crag Wyrm (mountains)
(I like the idea of longma-type or wyvern type creature for grasslands, I could just use that, or come up with some stupid name) 

Dragonized animals:
Drantis (dragon mantis)
Hippovern (dragon horse)
Leowyrm (dragon lion) (yeah, yeah, double dipped)
Dracostrich (dragon ostrich)
Dragursa (dragon bear)
Dracoroo (dragon kangaroo) 
Pengvern (dragon penguin)
Drakea (dragon kea)
Ravern (dragon raven)
Dracodile (dragon crocodile)
Sharpent (dragon shark)
Arachnewyrm (dragon spider)
Pangowyrm (dragon pangolin) 
Dracorilla (dragon gorilla)
etc. 

Hardcore Prehistoric Creatures:
Eurypterid/Sea Scorpion
Dunkleostes
Eryops
Gorgonops
Sebeccus
Deinosuchus
Therizinosaurus
Quetzelcoatulus
Microraptor
Daeodon/Hell Pig
Wooly Mammoth
Wooly Rhino
Glyptodon
Kelenken
Teratorn
Bullockornis
Smilodon
Megatherium (arguably, already in DF as giant sloth)
Megalania (arguably, already in DF as giant monitor lizard)
Gigantopithecus
Brontotherium
Thylacoleo

(of course dinosaurs, but then it's a dinosaur mod, it would feel different) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version