Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Evolution, /tg/ style  (Read 27384 times)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Evolution, /tg/ style
« on: December 13, 2016, 02:46:47 pm »

Welcome to the shittily drawn world of B4Y-XII. This is a garden world it it's prime: vast oceans filled with an assortment of life, huge empty landmasses that shift around due to the flow of hot magma underground. There's even an atmosphere! You, however, are not a part of the intricate biosphere of this planet. You are a godly entity, a force of sorts. And you are not alone. Your power lies in causing mutations, but there's only a limited amount of species you are able to manipulate. Will you help this planet thrive? Create higher organisms possibly even capable of civilization? It's up to you, and your MSPaint skills (you don't need to be good tbh, I'm shit too).

Good evening, morning, afternoon, night, dusk, dawn, eternal hellfire and/or solar eclipse to all people of the world! Today, we start a journey. A journey of evolution. And we'll do it /tg/ style.

What the frick is /tg/ style evo? Let me explain!

How to play:
We'll have 4 starting organisms. You'll be able to edit them mutation by mutation. For example, you could make one get bigger fins, an extra eye, a different colour, a new organ and other stuff too. As long as it's semi-scientifical (No obvious magic stuff, but things like electric shocks or magnetic field-generating organs are fine.) and not made to be weird/quirky. Also make sure your mutations aren't too large, add rudimentary arms before new arms for example. Single organisms can have multiple new species emerge from them, you aren't just limited to editing an organism/stage once. If you're already working on a mutation for an organism and someone ninja's you, make sure to still post yours because diversity is fun in this game.

You add a mutation by grabbing the pic of one of the currently living creatures. I'll clearly show when species go extinct by having big ass messages displayed saying "everything before this is extinct". Then, draw the mutation you'd like to add in MSPaint or an editor of your choosing. If you think a creature gets too full, or you just want to, you can redraw the entire creature. Once you're finished, upload it to a reliable host like imgur, slam it in the post. Make sure your post quotes the post you're evolving it from, but do try to avoid huge ass quote pyramids by snipping them off regularly. Then, add a new Latin name and a common name. Example: Irydociclytis pneumonia, the Green-arsed Doge -> Irydociclytis tuberculosis, the Thicc-arsed Doge. If a creature is changed a whole lot, you can change the genus name too (Irydociclytis tuberculosis -> Cuntophilius hemorrhoidae). Also make sure you include a description and the purpose of your mutation.

Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)

When this continues for some time, we'll have some variety. At any given moment, I, the OP, can announce a specific extinction event. This event will be "something, for example: "Poisonous Lead molecules are slowly seeping into the ocean, and they're starting to kill stuff.". There'll be a set amount of time to make certain creatures adapt. After the time, any unadapted creature goes extinct. You will not be able to revive and/or mutate them again. Their death is permanent.

I will also keep track of the evolutionary tree, a tree depicting the evolution of all organisms. It'll clearly show which organism is extinct and which one isn't. Here's an example of a partial one I did over on 4chan. The file got too big, so I had to separate them. Every line means an extinction event.

Spoiler: Tree (click to show/hide)

Some other rules:
1. Don't claim a species as yours.
2. Don't whine when your favourite species goes extinct, evolution is a bitch
3. You don't need any skills to draw, I'm shit at it too.
4. Try to use solid colors, not brushes. This makes recoloring and adding stuff easier. In MSPaint, just use the pencil and the bucket.
4b. This doesn't mean creatures should be monorchrome! Use a lot of color if you want too, but make sure it's just solid chunks
5. No transparent backgrounds please, just make 'em white
6. No new species, just edits. Putting this here because I was a bit too vague
7. The same person may not edit one of his own edits within 12 hours of posting it. Exceptions might be made, depending on the situation. This rule is here to avoid a single guy continuously updating his own organism.
Anything I forget will be added to it later.

Without further ado, the starters!
Spoiler: PlantyMcPlant (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: MeatyMcMeatbag (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: SpikeyMcSpikes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Autism (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:45:57 am by Lord_lemonpie »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution, /tg/ style
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 03:17:44 pm »

I'll get us started off!

Spinowyrmae multospini, the Sidespiked Spineworm. The Spineworm evolves some stubby-yet-sharp spines on its side, to defend that vulnerable spot from other bottom-crawling predators.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 03:24:53 pm »

Do we HAVE to draw pictures?
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 03:36:04 pm »

Plumpolychos occulus, or the Occulid Gloop. While as slow-moving and defenceless as its forebearers, this sub-species has developed a greater visual range, allowing it to search out food far more reliable, and thus quicker. Judging by its own standards, that is.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 03:37:29 pm »

Yep. You can do it in 30 seconds though, doesn't have to be fancy at all.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 03:40:52 pm »

Well, you see, I don't know how to 1. Draw a picture that I can upload to the internet and 2. Make it show up in here.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 03:48:55 pm »

Use mspaint and photobucket or such sites

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 03:50:22 pm »

Well, you see, I don't know how to 1. Draw a picture that I can upload to the internet and 2. Make it show up in here.
Ah, if that's the case, let me help. Have you got MSPaint?
1.If yes, just copy and paste the image into it, draw your mutation with the pencil and save it in a folder where you can find it again.
2. Then, head to http://imgur.com, click upload image and find your image.
3. Once you're done uploading, right click the image, select "copy image URL",and head over to the thread.
4. Lastly, type [ img ], your copied url, and [ /img ] (without the spaces, I can't type them without turning that text into an image), and type the text accompanying the image (name, description of the mutation).

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 04:00:09 pm »

1.If yes, just copy and paste the image into it, draw your mutation with the pencil and save it in a folder where you can find it again.
3. Once you're done uploading, right click the image, select "copy image URL",and head over to the thread.
4. Lastly, type [ img ], your copied url, and [ /img ] (without the spaces, I can't type them without turning that text into an image), and type the text accompanying the image (name, description of the mutation).
How do I get MSPaint?

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 04:02:05 pm »

How do I get MSPaint?

If you're using windows, MSPaint (Microsoft Paint) should already be installed. Not sure for other devices.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 04:08:50 pm »

If you're using windows, MSPaint (Microsoft Paint) should already be installed. Not sure for other devices.
How do I access it?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:10:44 pm by TankKit »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 04:15:11 pm »

How do I access it?
Just click the home button in the bottom left of your screen, if you just type Paint it'll show up. Sometimes it's named Paint, Sometimes MSPaint, Sometimes Microsoft paint. Depends on the version.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 04:22:29 pm »

How do I copy and paste images? For that matter, how do I even MSPaint?Nvm, figured that part out.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:34:25 pm by TankKit »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 04:46:52 pm »

How do I copy and paste images? For that matter, how do I even MSPaint?Nvm, figured that part out.
Wew, just right click on the image, select "copy image", head to paint and press Ctrl+v

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 04:56:36 pm »

PlantyMcSpike has evolved small thorns on it's stem for protection.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:58:51 pm by TankKit »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15