Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: African news thread  (Read 28018 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
African news thread
« on: December 13, 2016, 04:56:57 pm »

The former president of Gambia, Yahya Jammeh, refuses to step down, after elections put an end to his 22 year reign, even though at first it looked like he was going to accept the election outcome. On the 2nd of december, he congratulated the winner of the elections.
Within a week however, he changed his stance, and now claims the elections were 'a fraud and unacceptable', a verdict which, by the way, can only be passed by the elections committee, and not by the president.

Personal visits from the presidents of Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Liberia, all of whom have already congratulated the new president, have not been able to change his mind.
Gambia is quickly turning into chaos, as militants loyal to the old president are occupying the headquarters of the Gambian election committee, who declared the opposition candidate as the winner of the elections.

Ecowas, the regional coalition of nations including those of the four aforementioned presidents is now seriously considering a joint invasion of Gambia, to chase out the old president and help the new president take control. An Ecowas spokesman declared that a military invasion is 'a realistic solution'.

It wouldn't be the first time that Ecowas intervenes militarily. The last time it did was in the conflict in Sierra Leone at the start of this century. The counrties insisting now that Jammeh respects the election outcome and step down, have been trying hard the last decade to prove that they are becoming more and more democratic.
For instance in Ghana only last week, president John Mahama accepted his election loss and stepped down.
In Nigeria, the current president came to power by defeating the old president in fair elections in 2015. Nigeria is seen as the strongest regional power. It's army is many times larger than the Gambian army. Jammeh will not stay in power long if Ecowas decides to intervene militarily.

And then there's Senegal, which borders Gambia on 3 sides. It is well known that it's democratically elected president has no love for Gambian president Jammeh. Senegalese forces have already been ordered a while ago to concentrate at the Gambian borders.

It's not sure that it needs to come to an invasion though. It depends on Gambia's military. At first it looked like the Gambian army would support the new president, Adama Barrow, but in a later statement, army commander Ousman Badjie says that the army will 'support the president, whomever that may be'.

The past few days, reports have come in from Banjul, and other cities in the small country with 2 million inhabitants, that soldiers are digging trenches.
With his population, old president Jammeh is far from beloved. But the Gambians fear him, knowing that he does not abstain from arresting, torturing and executing his opponents.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:15:04 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile in Africa
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 05:00:03 pm »

Isn't this the guy who proclaimed that he'd rule for a billion years?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 05:02:16 pm »

Correct. And cure Aids. With a banana. At least that's not as lunatic as the regional belief amongst many some uneducated Africans that Aids can be cured by having sex with a baby.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/30/world/africa/gambia-election-yahya-jammeh-adama-barrow.html
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:17:05 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:39:58 am »

When they did, Barrow was declared the winner with 43.3 percent of the vote compared with the incumbent’s 39.6 percent. Taken by surprise — and advised, reportedly by some of his army chiefs, that it was all over — Jammeh bought time by playing the generous loser, all the while plotting his next move.

Exactly what that will be, nobody knows. This, after all, is a man who is said to consult fortunetellers on important matters of state.
Between this and Korea 2016 truly is the year of meme candidates

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 10:42:49 am »

Welcome to post-colonial Africa, folks, enjoy your stay. If things go south, I hope Ecowas steps in. Things were going so well.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 11:58:34 am »

you see this is why term limits are a thing in democratic country's. if you see someone get rid of them they are angling to become a dictator. *cough* Putin *cough*

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 02:29:05 pm »

More like this is why a newly democratic country should never fucking ever become a presidential democracy. When you've got no strong democratic tradition and you opt for a system where your head of state and head of government are the same person, it shouldn't be a goddamn surprise when they start backsliding towards authoritarianism.

The U.S. is really goddamn lucky that our early presidents had enough integrity to avoid concentrating too much power, and that Washington had the foresight to establish the unofficial two term limit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 05:01:39 am »

Term limits aren't important when your military can step in and remove Prime Minister. More important to have regular elections so the leader can't just call elections whenever they are popular and withhold whenever they are not

More like this is why a newly democratic country should never fucking ever become a presidential democracy. When you've got no strong democratic tradition and you opt for a system where your head of state and head of government are the same person, it shouldn't be a goddamn surprise when they start backsliding towards authoritarianism.

The U.S. is really goddamn lucky that our early presidents had enough integrity to avoid concentrating too much power, and that Washington had the foresight to establish the unofficial two term limit.
This too

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 08:14:34 am »

The Ecowas nations have set an ultimatum for Jammeh to step down as a president and transfer power to the new president.
If he hasn't stepped down on the 19th of januari, an army already assembled from the various Ecowas nations will invade Gambia.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 08:17:16 am »

The Ecowas nations have set an ultimatum for Jammeh to step down as a president and transfer power to the new president.
If he hasn't stepped down on the 19th of januari, an army already assembled from the various Ecowas nations will invade Gambia.

Somehow the West will be blamed for that.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 08:21:45 am »

Somehow the West will be blamed for that.
Doubt it. The West wasn't blamed when ECOWAS stationed a peacekeeping force in Liberia, nor was the West blamed when ECOWAS invaded Sierra Leone to reverse a coup.
ECOWAS involvement is generally seen as 'a good thing'. Not that they're very good at peacekeeping. Liberia is still chaotic. But I suppose it could have been worse. Idem for Sierra Leone.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:23:16 am by martinuzz »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 08:22:20 am »

februari
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 08:23:40 am »

februari
hmm my newspaper says januari

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 08:24:49 am »

yeah, but if thei set off in Januari thei won't arrive any earlier than Februari. Given the logistics involved the current president might have until the idis of Mirch to prepare.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 08:27:11 am »

yeah, but if thei set off in Januari thei won't arrive any earlier than Februari. Given the logistics involved the current president might have until the idis of Mirch to prepare.
They have an army ready at the border. Why would it take them a month to arrive?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19