Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: African news thread  (Read 27953 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile in Africa
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 10:23:37 am »

One does not simpli walk into Gambia. Its black gates are guarded bi more than just soldiers. There is evil there that does not sleep. The great Jammeh is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire, ash, and dust. The veri air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten-thousand men could you do this. It is folli.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 10:43:15 am »

yeah, but if thei set off in Januari thei won't arrive any earlier than Februari. Given the logistics involved the current president might have until the idis of Mirch to prepare.
They have an army ready at the border. Why would it take them a month to arrive?
I think they might be mocking your mispronunciation of the word "January".
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 11:45:08 am »

Oh heh. I missed the army of grammar nazys at my own border. My bad.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 02:09:14 pm »

The Ecowas nations have set an ultimatum for Jammeh to step down as a president and transfer power to the new president.
If he hasn't stepped down on the 19th of januari, an army already assembled from the various Ecowas nations will invade Gambia.

Somehow the West will be blamed for that.

Don't think the West will even notice, TBH. Africa 'runs' itself a lot without the West getting involved at all, you just probably only notice when they do on account of being a Westerner. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 04:47:38 pm »

The Ecowas nations have set an ultimatum for Jammeh to step down as a president and transfer power to the new president.
If he hasn't stepped down on the 19th of januari, an army already assembled from the various Ecowas nations will invade Gambia.

Somehow the West will be blamed for that.

Don't think the West will even notice, TBH. Africa 'runs' itself a lot without the West getting involved at all, you just probably only notice when they do on account of being a Westerner. :P

Probably, yeah.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 04:29:45 am »

Crunch time is two days away, and it looks like it's going to take the form of Ecowas stepping in.

Unless Jammeh has a sudden attack of conscience, anyway.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 04:42:55 am »

The African troops will bring freedom to Gambia

and unlike with USA, it's not just an euphemism
._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 11:11:54 am »

Oh heh. I missed the army of grammar nazys at my own border. My bad.
You and your weird dutch spellings.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 01:08:54 am »

Huh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 01:28:32 am »

Oh hey, isn't today the day the glorious African liberators will set free the poor black people from under the yoke of a bloodthirsty maniacal unelected dictator?
._.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 01:33:53 am »

Oh hey, isn't today the day the glorious African liberators will set free the poor black people from under the yoke of a bloodthirsty maniacal unelected dictator?

That requires a few dozen totally former Legionnaires to be successful.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 04:12:35 am »

http://www.theonion.com/article/nigeria-elects-black-president-446

ABUJA, NIGERIA–In a historic triumph for Nigeria's African-African community, Bilikisu Adewale, a 49-year-old black man, was elected president Monday.

(Photo: Bilikisu Adewale waves to supporters after becoming the next black man ever to lead Nigeria.)

"Today is a great day for the people of Nigeria," Adewale told a cheering crowd in his 30-minute acceptance speech. "But even more so, today represents a tremendous victory for this nation's black citizens, who came to the polls in full force to put one of their own in power."

"I am overwhelmed," Adewale added. "This is truly precedented."

Addressing the largely black crowd, Adewale, who served as Nigeria's Foreign Minister from 1993 to 1998, pledged to defend the interests of the nation's sizable black community. Among his chief campaign promises was to increase funding for schools in Nigeria's inner cities, outer cities, and middle cities–areas with a high concentration of blacks.
"Yes, this election is a great step forward for black Nigerians," Adewale said. "But there is much work to be done: A shocking 50 percent of our nation's blacks earn an income below the national average. The ever-present specter of black-on-black violence continues to loom over our communities. Our prison population is virtually 100 percent black." 

Couldn't help it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 04:20:59 am »

The new president will be sworn into office at 4PM today, in the embassy of Gambia in Dakar.
Ecowas countries have issued a formal statement and informed the UN that they do no longer recongnize Jammeh as president, and will take military action if he does not go.
It was expected by many that Ecowas forces would invade last night, but they haven't yet. Nigeria did move strike fighters to Senegal's capital Dakar.

Meanwhile, the commander of the Gambian forces has said that if Ecowas invades he is "not going to involve my men in a retarded battle", while making a sign of surrender.

Thousands of tourists have been evacuated, amongst whom 1500 Dutch tourists (wow, if there's 1500 from my small country alone, I wonder how many 10s of thousands of tourists there were in total, to evacuate).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:23:33 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 04:23:43 am »

http://www.theonion.com/article/nigeria-elects-black-president-446

A shocking 50 percent of our nation's blacks earn an income below the national average.
When will people learn the difference between "average" and "median"?!
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 04:36:10 am »

That's the onion
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19