Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New armor types  (Read 2005 times)

Kamitorrorga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New armor types
« on: December 13, 2016, 07:17:36 pm »

I have an idea.

Imagine if we got all sorts of armor components from the medieval era, like armets, sallets, bevors, tassets, lamellar, platemail, gambesons, etc, and put them in Dwarf Fortress? Along with more varied weaponry?

With gambesons, people can create simple, quick and cheap militia armor that doesnt look dull in its name and probably can be stronger than leather armor. You get what Im saying?

A gambeson.

A German sallet with a bevor.

However, I dont know how to mod, and this is just a suggestion to be put out there.
Advise 1: Babies + Miners doing an aquifer plug + underground = Floating Haunted Baby Fun.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New armor types
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 08:33:38 pm »

Did you check the Mod Releases forum or do any searching? Stal's Armoury and Grimlocke's Historic Arms & Armor both offer most of what you're asking for.

Unfortunately, DF combat is odd in various respects. To my knowledge the game can't create a helmet that protects the wearer's face properly (like in both reference images). See this bug, for example. There's also no appropriate body part stepping token. There's UPSTEP for gloves, shoes, and shields. UBSTEP for armor, and LBSTEP for armor and pants, but nothing for helmets. The sallet you've referenced isn't possible.

It just feels weird to me to have historic arms and armour but have nothing protecting anybody's face.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:25:06 pm by Taffer »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 10:11:00 pm »

Did you check the Mod Releases forum or do any searching? Stal's Armoury and Grimlocke's Historic Arms & Armor both offer most of what you're asking for.

Unfortunately, DF combat is odd in various respects. To my knowledge the game can't create a helmet that protects the wearer's face properly (like in both reference images). See this bug, for example. There's also no appropriate body part stepping token. There's UPSTEP for gloves, shoes, and shields. UBSTEP for armor, and LBSTEP for armor and pants, but nothing for helmets. The sallet you've referenced isn't possible.

It just feels weird to me to have historic arms and armour but have nothing protecting anybody's face.
Especially annoying when you're playing an Elephant Man. Trunk is usually the first thing to go flying off in an arc.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:55:07 pm »

Doesn't body armor protect the face if it has the appropriate UPSTEP or UBSTEP or whatever?

But also yes, under the current system, the face is not attached to the head for armor purposes. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 11:15:30 pm »

Doesn't body armor protect the face if it has the appropriate UPSTEP or UBSTEP or whatever?

But also yes, under the current system, the face is not attached to the head for armor purposes.

Yes, this bug.

An armor that has the [UBSTEP:MAX] and [LBSTEP:MAX] tags protects eyes, noses, ears, facial features, fingers, and toes, but does not protect the head, hands, or feet of the armored character.

It protects facial features but not the actual head. Similarly, it protects fingers and toes but not hands or feet. It's a workaround either way though. The "face" part of a helmet should be attached to that helmet, not body armour.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:46:11 pm by Taffer »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 11:12:36 am »

Yeah, the face-bits and finger have been quite the thorn in the side for me. I somewhat got the neck and fingers working right, but I had to make facial features embedded to prevent all the longtime soldiers being ear and nose-less. This means it is also impossible to bite someone's nose off in adventurer mode, which is sad.  :-X
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!