Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A slight addition to religion...  (Read 12621 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
A slight addition to religion...
« on: December 14, 2016, 12:21:57 am »

My suggestion is this. Seeing as Christianity was around and pretty big in 1400 (DF's time cutoff point in terms of technology), I think we should add a new type of religion in addition to the pantheon and regional force types, monotheism. Just find a way to make it work with the myth generator and everything will be good to go...

(Expecting rage in the thread. Lots of rage and disappointment. Don't know why.)

Vaughn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A slight addition to religion...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 03:21:02 am »

Are you talking about making up a god and believing in it or choosing one and claiming that all others gods are demons or something?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 07:03:29 am »

Basically I'm talking about adding a new religion type that could be generated for a human civ possibly. And adding your suggestion wouldn't be half bad either.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 12:51:57 pm »

Yeah, I like all these ideas. The false prophet role seems particularly intriguing.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 01:25:47 pm »

DF gods actually exist, so this gets into complex territory. PTW nonetheless.

Ofc, someone will suggest a Pratchett-esque belief system to solve that in which belief is what makes a god real, but whatever happens this is gonna be a pretty big tweak.

Unless the followers just insist against all evidence that their god is the only real one, presumably leading to conflict. Which could be pretty fun.
One wheel short of a wagon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 01:48:27 pm »

Are you talking about making up a god and believing in it or choosing one and claiming that all others gods are demons or something?

Could go akin to how Armok was described in the original Slaves to Armok game, namely, a god above all other gods.  Heck, could even be made that the monotheistic religions in StAII:DF are worshiping aspects of Armok.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 12:29:41 pm »

So far, so many ideas flowing like magma through a pipe!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 03:22:01 pm »

Unless the followers just insist against all evidence that their god is the only real one, presumably leading to conflict. Which could be pretty fun.
Religion is one of the top reasons for war(although sometimes they claimed that religion is the reason, but the actual reason was greed, like the Spanish and South America.)
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 03:29:08 pm »

Oh, that would be awesome~!
Dwarven-Goblin Crusades, anyone?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 10:52:08 am »

Maybe it would be like the god of light vs the old gods in Game of Thrones?  The old gods are real, but the light god saps their power. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 12:21:38 pm »

Maybe it would be like the god of light vs the old gods in Game of Thrones?  The old gods are real, but the light god saps their power. 
Another good idea to mix in there!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 10:13:31 am »

Religious crusades are already in. Although at the moment, as far as I know, they're only waged by godded civs against non-godded ones. In my mod, every once in a while capitalists will wage war against Vulcans, and sight 'their godlessness' as the reason.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 04:55:24 pm »

The mayor of one of my ex-forts is constantly complaining about the godlessness of his neighbors (that they're a bunch of cannibalistic minotaurs doesn't seem to bother him as much).

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 12:11:46 pm »

The problem I see is that the line between a polytheistic faith and a monotheistic faith gets really, really blurry when we take both real-world and fantasy examples of religions into account.

Take for example Hinduism. Its arguably a monotheistic faith, as they believe all of their gods are merely aspects and interpretations of a single god who is simply unknowable to mortals as its true, complete form. Or perhaps Tolkein's faith in Middle Earth; there is a supreme, monotheistic god, but under him are heirarchies of gods of greater or lesser divinity and power who are worshiped and act as gods in their own right.

Religions and theology are vastly, vastly more complicated than the game currently represents. An overhaul of the religion system has plenty of work cut out for it - it wouldn't stop at monotheism.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 02:03:02 pm »

A monotheistic god i feel would be less intensive and therefore either too pro-active (running doing all the holy duties or not very much at all) or downright dormant. As a mythology world option yes i would be in favour to be able to swap out poly for molo in order to save processing space if you could sacrifice a bit of depth.

A solution to the poly/moly situation without editing mythology too much would be to stage a mythology Ragnarok in world generation, with a few modifiers being swung in that direction
  • "This god" "This god" "Your god" all get in a arguement and fight for the goal of monotheism (or some other method of disposal), "Your god" obviously wins but the other two gods remain banished/dead (as any divine being could be) unless condition X (A secret is enabled on a magical artifact) is triggered or they are perma-dead.
  • "Your god" claims absolute rule in (heaven/godly plane) and writes over/claims ownership of the other gods changes if any were made up to or before the event. Sometimes your races are directly involved in this 'War in Heaven' which breaks the young world hence having to reform it in a year 0 state.
Pages: [1] 2 3