Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 25 - Game over, Recaps start at page 28  (Read 32937 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 25 - Clash of Gods
« Reply #285 on: February 15, 2017, 01:40:05 pm »

Underwater combat always seemed like a particularly painful experience. Ultimately, what you would wanna do seems to be depending more on summons than native troops, unless you have a way of pumping londead out, or access to amphibious troops.

Oh hey want a fun trick with 1W mages underwater? A water bracelet plus casting water power lets them use a water gem to summon a water elemental. Assuming you can say, get them breathing without using up an accessory slot, you can then go ahead and stick a bottle of living water on them. You water mage now unpacks into 2 elementals that regen 20% underwater. Apply buffs as necessary.

Disclaimer, I have no idea how effective this all is.

Underwater combat is mostly troop vs troop, so pack on the buffs, that being said, earth and water magic are best there.
And for water elemental spam? It's pretty nice, although adding on to your strategy giving them 3 gems and casting Living Water would be a more efficient use of mage. (W1 mage with Bracelet would be W3 after Summon Water Power, so yes it does work) Although I suppose with 3 gems you can cast Summon Water Elemental twice before the mage takes a quick nap...

That said, do note that this is mostly theoretical, this is my observations from tactics used against me in the past, so I don't have firsthand experience with what is better when. Now Earth Magic on the other hand...

(Note: I will get to my turn soonish. Also Cag, to ease your Sceleria Snowball Nightmares, if I went all-in to Longdead Spam, I would have nowhere near enough leadership to logistic them, let alone actually field them! No seriously, if I didn't have so many setbacks to priest recruitment (Events hated my temples...)/priest usage derps, I would guess that I would have at least 50% more undead minimum? (Likely more.) Sceleria is actually not that good with national undead leadership...)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 15, 2017, 02:52:35 pm »

Long life the King seems like a ok summon - but also takes a mage turn each time and D-gems.

All I know about UW is that you should bring pierce weapons and all your spells suck. And overcast Thestis Blessing....

Also, it's not like ulm is a "light troops" kinda deal, so the extra fatigue really kicks in without friendly currents & co

Open Question: Wolf Tribe Warriors (2 Daggers) seem like ok generic dudes to send underwater, since the weapons are both pierce and underwater people rarly have hard or big armor...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:56:22 pm by ThtblovesDF »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 15, 2017, 03:13:47 pm »

It might make sense, but atlantis is going to have more heavily armored folk.

Also yeah, pretty sure most Death gems Scaleria used was on mound kings. The double Pyrrhic victory might have dented the supply of mound kings.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #288 on: February 15, 2017, 04:02:21 pm »

Aha stuff happens - I was lucky I had some rando chaff in there that surived the great drowning, otherwise he would've gladly cast his battlefield buffs and then died...

Good thing you had UW-breathing chaff when you attacked my fort, back when Thetis's Blessing went down, or there would be one less Hooded Spirit going around. I had actually scripted my mages in the hopes of a lucky kill if you had attacked with your god (but with no UW troops), but the death of said troops caused a rout first...

Actually, I was baffled you did that in the first place, because it was deep in my dominion, and he was the Thetis's Blessing caster (I think). No need to explain if it's still a secret, but still... ???
Check out my books at O and H Books

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 15, 2017, 04:13:25 pm »

Just Battlefield buffs and all that, I'm not very good at dominions, even if 2 wins would tell you otherwise...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 15, 2017, 11:54:49 pm »

We had about 4 more hours before hosting and Scaleria hadn't gotten a turn in. Dropped a 12 hour extension as a result just in case.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 16, 2017, 07:32:38 am »

Right right.... This is why I don't like trying to do my turns when I'm sufficiently sleepy, I wasn't kidding earlier about passing out in front of my computer...

It'll be in shortly, thanks for keeping an eye out for me.

(P.S. Sceleria does have a pair of Earth Boots, a Shadow Brand, and a suit of Elemental Armor they are willing to sell for death or air gems. Also have water, nature, and earth gems for sale for the same.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:11:20 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 18, 2017, 01:19:21 am »

With about 6 hours to hosting and me being busy then, I'll go ahead and drop a 12 hour extension for Scaleria and Tien Chi.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 20, 2017, 04:10:26 am »

I lucked out...

ERr... GLORIOUS ULM TECH (buy now!) has shown itself to be da best again!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Research Quills for 5 gems each, 4 for bulk/friends (Earth or Nature plz)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:29:55 am by ThtblovesDF »

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #294 on: February 20, 2017, 02:14:44 pm »

That's basically GG, WP. (I saw the arrow, didn't realize it was an anti-SC weapon. Whoops.)

Normally, I would have stayed to make every step COST DEARLY IN ULMISH BLOOD, but my real life is currently stressful (chronic mental illness), and I don't think I'll have fun playing what's invariably a losing battle. Particularly when I already wince every time I see there's a new turn in my inbox. Playing Misfortune is somehow psychologically wearing, since my best non-capital gem site just got randomly attacked by independents many turns ago, and it's only this turn that I got it back. Post octodeath, I've got one or two tricks left, and I don't have the energy to see them through, and then they'd probably not be enough. As I said, RL issues.

Unless anyone particularly wants to sub for what's probably going to be doomed side, I'm just going to go AI. I'll be happy to pass over the keys, or even the current .trn file to an interested would-be Atlantis.

EDIT: I should add that I might have gotten too emotionally invested (see: chronic mental illness), and it's just been too much of a rollercoaster ride anyway. Better, I think, to stop now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:22:04 pm by Gigalith »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 20, 2017, 02:44:50 pm »

Dang. Sorry to hear. I think at this point getting a replacement might be a little tough, so personally I wouldn't say you should feel obligated to do so if it's just too much. We're fairly late in the game and you're asking someone to step in at the tail end of things. That being said, at least post an announcment in the dom4 thread and maybe some masochist would wanna pick it up? You never know.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 20, 2017, 02:48:31 pm »

Sorry to hear that.

If someone takes over, at least the AI won't attack your allys and the human player will focus on me, but if you want to go AI that is fine.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 20, 2017, 04:42:10 pm »

I really don't anyone will mind if you bow out, and the AI isn't completely stupid: It tends to at least remember who it's enemies are and not start more wars while already fighting one.

Personally, I think it helps to think of it as a glorious last stand, I say while being conquered by T'ien Ch'i. (Although I just just sucker-punched one of their two huge armies successfully, they are still about to take two forts from me and already took two others.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #298 on: February 20, 2017, 04:50:07 pm »

My glorious last stand plans were basically trolling armies with the Omnipus until Atlantis itself was overwhelmed. I had one or two more, which I'll note if I go AI. (If I somehow get a sub, I think they'd appreciate the silence.) Still got plenty of Ulmian troops dead via Dispel, so this was still a costly war, I think.

I wouldn't mind a glorious last stand even now, but psychologically I just can't enjoy it anymore. Not because of the octodeath per se, but because the stress just got to me. And if I'm getting stressed over pixelmans, better to just stop before it gets worse. (Hopefully, next game I can keep a better psychological distance.)

Anyway, if there's no suckers takers by tomorrow, I'll send in an AI-turning .2h.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 20, 2017, 04:52:55 pm »

o7
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29