Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 25 - Game over, Recaps start at page 28  (Read 32939 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 25 - Clash of Gods
« Reply #300 on: February 20, 2017, 06:31:30 pm »

Owch, really bad luck there, pretty sure that was an MR Negate attack, and with 23 MR, you should've been nigh-invulnerable to that.
That said, nigh-impossible things do happen (As my own Apostasy vs Harbinger proved...)

(Still, I do hear you on the burnout. Suffering from it a tad here... Not out of this match quite yet though. Won't be joining another for a while however.)

(P.S. I wish I had scouts watching the Tien'Chi/Agartha war..... What? I like Agartha. You all know this. More points of data for my playbook of tactics and counterplays is always helpful after all. Only reason I picked something else was for variety. A part I'm regretting a bit now, Sceleria does seem a bit 2 dimensional from my point of view...)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #301 on: February 20, 2017, 07:25:14 pm »

Checking the probability table in the manual, it was literally a 1% chance. Lower, if you count the chance of actually hitting, plus getting past that shield, then getting through Luck. (Though the Omnipus was charging straight towards the commander with said Ethereal Crossbow, and it was a few shots before one connected.)

Actually, I was wondering why Ethereal Crossbows weren't the ultimate anti-SC weapon, but this was just incredibly bad luck. Or good, in Ulm's case. (Well played, by the way. I'm not really upset, just a little burnt out.)
Check out my books at O and H Books

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 21, 2017, 12:19:25 am »

(Still, I do hear you on the burnout. Suffering from it a tad here... Not out of this match quite yet though. Won't be joining another for a while however.)

(P.S. I wish I had scouts watching the Tien'Chi/Agartha war..... What? I like Agartha. You all know this. More points of data for my playbook of tactics and counterplays is always helpful after all. Only reason I picked something else was for variety. A part I'm regretting a bit now, Sceleria does seem a bit 2 dimensional from my point of view...)
Oh, we're talking burnout now? I think it has to do with us going at it at near stalemate for most the game. I signed up for the next round mostly to add some variety to the game I was playing.

As for Scaleria... would you believe I think your issue might have been the god you picked? I don't think I would have played with an awake god for that nation, while I might have for Nazca since we have magic variety down for pat. With something like nature you can access some nice battlefield buffs, while with air you have mass mistform skellingtons with ethereal sacreds. It's also just easier to nature some nature mages up when you have a decent nature mage somewhere in your nation, since breaking into nature as Nazca to the point where I could mother oak was a pain in itself, but you can see the utility I hope. So yeah, Scaleria is unfortunately a nation with some assembly required.

I just ended up picking Nazca since it had excellent magic diversity and mobility. It kinda left me free to pick a pretender for a minor bless and quite some scales.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 21, 2017, 02:14:54 am »

As for Scaleria... would you believe I think your issue might have been the god you picked? I don't think I would have played with an awake god for that nation, while I might have for Nazca since we have magic variety down for pat. With something like nature you can access some nice battlefield buffs, while with air you have mass mistform skellingtons with ethereal sacreds. It's also just easier to nature some nature mages up when you have a decent nature mage somewhere in your nation, since breaking into nature as Nazca to the point where I could mother oak was a pain in itself, but you can see the utility I hope. So yeah, Scaleria is unfortunately a nation with some assembly required.

Sceleria does have native air (and water) access from its Grand Thaumaturgs you know. While it's hell on the communion slaves, it's perfectly usable for a mass buff or two.
As for the god..... I will admit, it was a holdover from a rushed pretender back when I had no clue how I was supposed to expand efficiently (and when the earth snake was cheaper)... Say what you want about Hastati and Princeps. Very solid troops, but the Lorica Segmantata they use as armor is horrifically overpriced for what it does. Would rather have EA Ermor's basic troop lineup. Much more affordable for basically the same stuff.

I'll get to the turn within 12ish hours or so, having issues not passing out on my laptop so bedtime for me. Will make sure the next turn is a double. Send angry PMs if it's not.

Glory to United Forenia!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 21, 2017, 02:49:54 am »

Well, don't run yourself ragged on my account. I think my first experience running up against scaleria was when they ran a nature bless vestal rush. I was ulm at the moment, but I wasn't expecting to end up right next to a bless nation, and had no idea how good the black halbreds were, but against ulms rank and file? Shadow vestals made short work of them. I forget if they also ran a water bless. This is a bit heavier on the gold, but it does the job quite well, and you can use it to expand against the nearby nation with little hope of fielding magic weapons just fine.

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 21, 2017, 04:31:59 am »

So, it looks like Nazca is almost certainly going to be the victor? You are so far ahead in every respect that I'm not quite sure how you can possibly lose.

I really misread the situation during Pythium's defeat... At that point I was under the impression that Sceleria was the dominant power and sent messages to Ulm and Nazca for assistance. I thought that Pangeae' territory and the empty spawn was split more of less between Ulm and Nazca and there was some semblance of a balance of power. Not the case apparently.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 21, 2017, 04:45:09 am »

Being ahead in every respect means nothing if I am stuck in a stalemate. Between me and ulm it's mostly a matter of Making ulm more or less my kingmaker in a sense. I likely could have gone for a full annex, but... well, I know Jilla a bit, and I know I did not want them to take Pythium and grow powerful. Truth be told... I like was gonna stab Pythium in the back eventually. I figured I'd need to, but looks like the aggressive dominion Scaleria had did the job for me. The funny thing is, I still expected you to come at Scaleria from the south, but look like you ran into Agartha head first, or vice versa. Trying to wear down the brunt of these many troops in an army is hard enough as it is when the both of us are playing it defensive so as not to lose key resources, and then running gambles that fail.

Oh, and the big increase in provinces I had last turn was mostly me testing out my suicide squads. Not quite got them working as I hope yet.

I'm still really bad at this game, heh.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 21, 2017, 04:54:49 am »

I will throw up some globals and stuff next turn(s), but I agree that Nazca is ahead at this point with like roughly 1/4th of the provinces (and 3 capitals) in there control, but that still leaves plenty of enemys.

Certainly it would be fun if Dominions had a dipolomacy system where you could allow people to walk in your land, so T'chi could send a relief army or some battlefield buffers.

I would suggest that both me - atlantis and T'chi - Agartha focus on something besides our silly wars, but that won't happen.

Nazca saved me from the bless rush (sorta, it was a ugly stand-still that could've taken 30 turns to resolve), so I don't feel comfortable doing any backstabbing (well, while I am weak, obviously).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 21, 2017, 04:57:56 am »

If I take over Atlantis, would it mean I get to lose the same game twice? :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 21, 2017, 05:00:34 am »

I suppose so, heh. Feeling up for it? You might at least get a look at the state of things.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 21, 2017, 05:01:52 am »

If I take over Atlantis, would it mean I get to lose the same game twice? :P
Theoretically it'd be possible to survive, it'd just require a lot of diplomacy, and would rely on the neighbours accepting a diplomatic end to taking land (or ocean, as the case may be).

In other news, I hope the game doesn't end before I start faffing around with gemgen globals.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 21, 2017, 05:07:38 am »

I suppose so, heh. Feeling up for it? You might at least get a look at the state of things.
I don't mind trying. Worst case scenario, I'll just do the handoff thing too, or turn AI if nobody else takes it. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 21, 2017, 05:52:02 am »

Sure, send me your email in a PM and I will change the user for Atlantis - then you can request a turn resend for Atlantis.

I'll also update you on the diplo details.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 21, 2017, 04:42:14 pm »

Right turn in! I apologize for it not being a double turn, but it seems I wasn't last one in for once.

Truth be told... I like was gonna stab Pythium in the back eventually. I figured I'd need to, but looks like the aggressive dominion Scaleria had did the job for me.-
-Trying to wear down the brunt of these many troops in an army is hard enough as it is when the both of us are playing it defensive so as not to lose key resources, and then running gambles that fail.

Aggressive dominion, and I somehow managed to assassinate Pythium's pretender... It was a E4N4D4 titan... I'm still shocked that ended in a victory for my assassin... (Assassinations really should have more of a time limit, at least until the local garrison starts pouring in. Or at least the rest of the guys on Guard Commander.)

And yeah, failed gambits are sorta the theme of our war huh? You've all heard about my latest derp, but early on he tried to do a surprise decapitation strike against my capital, not to mention the Golem that teleported in front of Titanaconda, the other golem that got bogged down in longdead (Shadow Brand.... Not the best weapon against longdead swarms...)

It's been nice for my research though, I will admit.

Glory to United Forenia!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 21, 2017, 06:50:21 pm »

Yeah, it's been a while since I kitted out SCs and I was never particularly good at it. Still surprised that of all things the golem could have died of it was poison. Go figure.I didn't know poison could have a noticeable effect on lifeless beings I reasoned wrongly.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29